There are fans of cars, and then there are people who are fans of making cars do ridiculous things. Turning Smart cars into monster trucks, for example. Or, in this particular case, turning a 33-year-old junker into something that can outrun a lot of supercars.
Such is the case with this 1980 Volkswagen Golf, built by a German company called Boba Motoring on what we’re assuming was a bet, because why else would you do this to a Golf? The overall result, called the 16Vampir, is a hatchback going nearly 200 miles per hour and hitting sixty miles per hour in 2.3 seconds. Like in this video:
Yes, that wasn’t faked. Yes, we checked. Yes, it’s ridiculous. Keep in mind the original vehicle had a far more modest 112 horsepower, which you couldn’t even get in the US, and it still has a 94 inch wheelbase. In other words, this thing is absolutely terrifying to drive.
How does it get to such absurd heights? As you might have guessed, there’s a turbocharger involved, specifically a Garrett GTX4202R. That feeds into a 16-valve KR head, and the result is… well, you’ve seen the video.
Boba Motoring declares that this is the fastest Golf in the world, which we’re not sure is a title really under dispute, but we’ll give them that one. More notable is that it might actually be the fastest Volkswagen out there, period. 1000 horsepower is twice the oomph shown in recent Volkswagen concept models, and remember, Volkswagen makes and sells among other exotic cars the Bugatti Veyron, one of the fastest production vehicles to ever hit the street. In other words, Boba Motoring took a car you can find for less than a thousand bucks on Craigslist, dropped about $10,000 on it, and turned it into something that could beat Volkswagen’s flagship engineering product in a street race. Oh, those crazy Germans.
Also why not check out:
- 2013 Volkswagen E-Up!
- 2014 Golf R Gets Boost in Horsepower, 0-60 in 4.9 Seconds
- 2014 Volkswagen XL1 Hybrid Achieves 261MPG
- 2014 VW Beetle R-Line Review
- Sink Your Teeth Into The New Beatles Catalog On A Limited Edition Apple Shaped USB Drive
- The Original Volkswagen Bug Goes Electric With A New Conversion
- The Volkswagen Golf R 400 Is A Concept We Love
- Volkswagen Introduces CrossBlue; a Diesel-Hybrid
- Volkswagen Unveils New XL1
- Volkswagen with Google Navigation System
- Volkswagen’s Dune Beetle Is A Surfer’s Dream
- Volkwagen Design Vision GTI Concept
- VW GTI Sled: Crazy Bob
- VW Set To Introduce Electric Diesel Hybrid
- VW’s iBeetle Features Integrated iPhone Dock