There are many, many items that no sane person would spend money on unless they had Scrooge McDuck-sized piles of it to waste, and that person’s web store of choice is Hammacher Schlemmer. So what’s the latest idea they have for people who have too much cash and not enough sense? How about a massive clamshell that bakes you?
That’s the idea behind the Infrared Supine Sauna, which is basically a giant clamshell that cooks you slightly. No, really. The idea is that you climb into this thing, with your head sticking out of it, pull closed the shell, and then get blasted with heat.
Specifically the idea is to use four infrared lamps to increase your internal temperature by up to two degrees in order to relieve swelling and relax joints and tendons. It’s even laid out so that you put your legs above your heart, a “relaxing” position. If, for some reason, blasting yourself with heat to cure your muscle aches in a giant clamshell isn’t quite excessive enough for you, the inside is also layered with 440 jade stones.
First of all, we can’t help but wonder if this is really a product actually being manufactured, or just a repurposed prop from the old Batman TV show. Because it really, really sounds like one, right down to the heating elements and the clamshell shape. It’s the kind of thing the Penguin would use.
Secondly, this doesn’t really seem all that, you know, safe. Overheating yourself is pretty dangerous, as any doctor can tell you, and while a warming sensation does undeniably feel pleasant, the jury is out as to whether this is actually helping you or hurting you.
On the other hand, most of us will never know what it’s like anyway: This beast costs $14,000. Hey, jade is not cheap.
Also why not check out:
- ‘Soap Flakes’ Soap Shredder Negates Liquid Soap
- 10 Top “Movember” Grooming Tech (list)
- 9 Futuristic Toilets and Seats You Should Be Sitting On (List)
- ARTAS: Hair Regrowth Machine
- Best All Purpose Cleaner
- Best Detergent Pods
- Best Plunger
- Best Shower Caddy
- Best Shower Curtain
- Best Shower Curtain Liner
- Best Toilet Brush
- Best Toilet Paper Holder
- Best Toothbrush Holder
- Best Water Flosser
- Big Dumps In Yo Area: Johnny Jolter Power Plunger
- BodyTrace eScale: The World’s First GSM-Enabled Scale
- Corcel N°1 Carbon Fiber Bathtub (video)
- Ditch Bathroom Spray With KOHLER’s Purefresh Deodorizing Toilet Seat
- Eco-Otome Toilet Sound Blocker Is
- Gadget of the Week: Tube Squeezing Toothbrush
- Get Cozy With Your Significant Other With The Yin Yang Couples Bath
- Graff Ametis Waterfall Shower Head Costs $15,000
- Grush Smart Toothbrush Trains Kids with Brushing Games
- Hang Your Shampoo Bottle On A Magnet
- IllumiBowl Night Light: Never Miss Again
- LED Color Changing Showerhead with Remote
- Nebia Steam Shower Saves Water with Droplet Technology
- Nebia Wants To Change How You Shower
- Numi Super Toilet from Kohler Comes with a Touchscreen Remote (video)