So here’s the deal. You’ve got a new 13-inch Macbook Air. You don’t wanna scratch it. You could opt for Incase’s Perforated case, which I just reviewed. However, that case doesn’t really protect the svelte laptop from dings and drops, since it’s attached to its body and as a result doesn’t insulate it from the shock and vibration it might receive dare it take a tumble to the ground. Alternatively, Incase makes a Neoprene sleeve for toting around the ultra slim computer.
Aesthetically the sleeve is unremarkable. It’s sewn together by what is surely a machine. The stitching is tight and is surprisingly devoid of any blemishes or “mis-stitches.” In other words it’s almost, well, perfect.
The edge of the sleeve is finished with a “textured spine” that wraps its circumference. It’s soft and more supple than the sleeve’s Neoprene finish and does, as Incase suggests, provided some added grip when you’re carrying it in your hand.
The zipper of the sleeve stores in its own pocket, which is part of the spine. This ensures that it remains zipped and your Macbook Air doesn’t fall out. Hardly a feature I used, but it doesn’t seem to prevent any shortcomings, so have at it.
The sleeve, while slim and a little light on the padding it will protect your Macbook Air from the occasional minute folly. However, my intuition tells me (I didn’t test it) that if you dropped your Air to the floor, while in the sleeve, it would incur some damage. How much I don’t know, but it’s not the same type of protection we’ve seen from Booq’s line of sleeves, which I reviewed a few years ago. I’m not sure if its intended to be used for added protection, but the Neoprene sleeve shipped with a foam insert inside. Leave it in there, like I did, and one side of your Air will enjoy some added protection.
Bottom line is that Incase’s Neoprene Sleeve for the 13-inch Macbook Air provides adequate protection. But as as a result of trying to maintain a minimalist presence, much like the Air, it’s limited and not ideal for someone that is tough on their gear during transport.
You can buy the Incase 13-inch Macbook Air Neoprene Sleeve for $40.
- Slim and light weight like the Macbook Air
- Textured spin adds grip
- Durable build and excellent stitching
- Unremarkable finish and design
- Thin padding that will only protect from minor bumps
Also why not check out:
- Apple Macbook Air 13″ (2011) 1.8GHz Review
- Bamboo Blackbox Cases
- Booq Python Slimpack Review: Slim and Small is Finally Good
- Deals: Xbox One Console Back to Black Friday Pricing + $33 Bonus
- Expand Your MacBook Air With A MicroSD Card Reader
- Gold Plated Macbook Air
- Hard Graft 2Unfold Premium Laptop Bag Changes Shape According to Its Contents (pics)
- Incase 13-inch Macbook Air Perforated Hardshell Case Review
- Knomo Saxby Review
- Mission Workshop Sanction Rucksack Review
- Mixbag Transformer Bag Review
- Powerbag Lets You Charge on the Go
- Startech Thunderbolt Docking Station Review
- Stock and Barrel Co Buck Brown Harness Leather Field Bag
- The Cartella for MacBook Air
- The Faraday Tote Is The Urban Badass Bag You’ve Been Looking For
- Win an Ogden Made Messenger Bag from Gadget Review (contest)