AppleInsider sources say that Apple will officially announce and sell the new iMacs as of May 3rd, this Tuesday.
The new iMacs will in all likelihood see a processor refresh, replacing the first generation Core-i processors with the new Sandy Bridge processors. They should also receive Intel’s Thunderbolt, which boasts ultra fast transfer speeds and can even support displays. Both of these updates appeared in Apple’s latest line of Macbook Pros.
A touchscreen iMac is probably a long ways off and as a result you should probably expect the form factor, and size options, along with price, to largely remain the same.
We’ve been hearing about an iMac refresh since March 22nd, with the latest one pointing to an early May release. Apple hasn’t updated their iMacs since July 27, 2010, when they added i-Core processors, so it’s an overhaul that is long overdue.
However, Apple’s online store is still displaying a 24 hour ship time for all iMac models. Historically, Apple will delay the expected shipping time of a product when a new iteration is due within a matter of days. Nonetheless, it stands to reason that they’re no longer displaying this information to the public and instead notifying individual customers by email after an order has been placed.
Also why not check out:
- 10 of the Best Mac Apps
- 10 Things that Make Apple’s New Mac Pro Unlike Any Other Computer
- Adorable Mini Mac Brings You Back To The ’80s
- Apple announces new iMac
- Apple releases Power Mac G5 Quad and updates to lineup
- Apple Retina iMac Announced, Includes a 5K Display and a Hybrid Hard Drive for $2,500
- Apple Site Now Refreshed With New iMacs
- Apple Updated Its iMacs Today With Zero Fanfare
- Apple’s 12-Core Mac Pro Now Shipping
- Colorware Now Painting The Mac Mini
- Discount Mac By Christmas: Free Next Day Delivery at B&H
- First Look at Apple’s New iMac G5
- Gadget Concept: Mac vs. PC Chess Set
- Gadget Leak: New 17 Inch iMac for $899?
- Gadget Rumor: New Mac Mini, iMac Launching Tuesday?
- How Much Does It Cost To Build Your Own Mac Pro?
- How to Prevent a Digital Death By Setting Up Automatic Backups On Your Mac
- How to Speed Up Your Mac: 5 Insanely Simple Tricks to Give Your Sluggish Computer a Speed Boost
- iMac Refresh Rumor Surfaces, To Include Sandy Bridge And Thunderbolt
- iMacs Refresh Now Official, Internal Updates Only, Includes Quad-core Processor & Thunderbolt
- LOST’s Swan Station Vintage Apple II Up For Auction
- Mac Mini In a 1980s Mac
- Mac Mini Killer
- Mac Mini Laptop
- Mac Pro Gets Upgraded To 12 Cores
- Mac Pro Refresh, Cinema Display & Magic Trackpad To Debut Tomorrow?
- New 2012 Apple iMacs Measure Just 5mm Thin, Quad-core and More
- Preview Of Apple’s New OS: Snow Leopard (video)
- Rare Apple iMac Price Cut in Best Buy’s Green Monday Sale (Update!)
- Rumor: Mac Pro Refresh Coming This Summer
- Sonnet Mounts The Mac Mini Behind Your Monitor
- The iMac Gets Upgraded With i-Series Processors
- The New Mac Pro Is Out Today! And Really Expensive!
- The New Mac Pro Lives Up To Both Parts Of Its Name
- Troll Touch Announces Touchscreen iMacs (video)