The launch of the iPhone 5 has come and gone. And while those of you locked into a contract and don’t have the option to upgrade on the cheap, there is a bastion of relief, which comes in the form of iOS 6. However, iPhone 4s owners will only be able to take full advantage of the upgrade, as it improves SIRI’s voice commands. You can now open applications, Tweet and post to Facebook simply by speaking aloud in a kind and concerted manner to SIRI. Nevertheless, there are a many a time when she won’t perform the command properly, or simply can’t handle the request. It’s a frustrating circumstance and one that has caused us to loathe the very sound of her voice.
Good news! Because you can now change SIRI’s accent without impacting her performance. You see, iOS 5 allowed you to do this, but as a result SIRI’s functionality was limited to just searching the web. Not any more. You can now change SIRI’s voice and still open apps, post to Facebook, check the weather and more.
Here’s how to change SIRI’s voice:
- Unlock your iPhone (duh)
- Tap SETTINGS
- Next, click on GENERAL
- Once in General select SIRI
- Click LANGUAGE
- Finally, select the accent (or language that best suits you)
- Next, ask SIRI “what is the best phone in the world?”
- She should respond with her/his new accent.
We tried out “English (United Kingdom)” and found the voice to be a bit too HAL 2001. Instead we opted for “English (Australia)”. It’s a much more palatable accent and doesn’t creep us out as much. Unfortunately, the “English (Canada)” language option doesn’t include an actual Canadian accent. We had hoped it would say “aboot”.
Update: After some testing we’ve discovered that SIRI won’t be as accurate in these languages. So buyer beware.
Also why not check out:
- 10 of the Best Waterproof iPhone 6 Cases
- 27 of the Best iPhone 5 Retina Wallpapers (list)
- 4 of the Best Ways to Export SlowMo Videos on the iPhone 5s (list)
- Apple iPhone 5s Review
- Clearplex iPhone Screen Protectors Can Stop a Bullet (video)
- EyeFly 3D for iPhone 5/S/C Review
- How to Create iPhone Setting Home Screen Shortcuts (how to)
- How to Make Free Text Tones for the iPhone
- How to Remove Scratches from your iPhone (how to)
- How to Restart the iPhone X: Three Quick Steps To Resolve a Frozen Screen
- i-FlashDrive HD Review
- iPhone 4S vs. Lumia 900
- iPhone 5 Review
- iPin Review
- iTamTam iPhone Speaker Dock Stool By Branex
- Jailbreaking your iPhone Without a Computer: The Untethered Jailbreak
- Luxi Light Meter Attachment for iPhone 5 Review
- Native Union Dock+ for iPhone or iPad Review
- Nova Off-Camera Wireless Flash for the iPhone Review
- Phocus iPhone Lens System Review
- Schneider Optics iPro Lens System Review
- Tech 21 Impact Shield for iPhone 5 Review
- Typo2 QWERTY Keyboard for the iPhone 6 Review