The coming of the electric scooter has been nothing short of amazing. It lets kids soar and run free and allows many adults to feel more like kids. This is just one of the reasons they are so popular. But if you haven’t gotten in on the electric scooter craze yet, or if you are searching for the best electric scooter for commuting, you may have some questions. Like, how much does a electric scooter cost? We have the answers.
If you are new to electric scooters or tired of the scooter rental lifestyle, this will likely be your first question. The answer depends on a few key factors: The age of the rider, what features you want and what kind of performance you are after in regards to speed and range. Adult electric scooters will have different features than kids scooters.
So How Much Does A Electric Scooter Cost?
When buying an electric scooter, it might surprise you to learn that you can buy them a cheap electric scooter for as little as $100. These scooters for kids are for ages 8-12 years old. These come in a wide variety of flashy colors, boasting safer speeds and competitive recharge time for lithium battery life. And from a variety of popular brands like Razor, GoTrax and many others. It is a competitive market. A good example of a popular model is the Power Core e90 electric scooter
The scooter price will go up as we look at a scooter for adults. These models from brand name scooter companies can go as high as $3000.
What Is The Average Cost Of An Adult Electric Scooter?
The average cost of an electric scooter is about $300 for the features and specs that most of us want for either play or commuting. At this price, you typically get features like a solid tire, or pneumatic tires, disc brakes, competitive charge times, a max speed of about 15-20 miles, a folding design, decent range which is usually about 15-20 miles on a single charge and a decently powerful motor.
Other features can include a LED headlight, Bluetooth, app control and good shock absorption.
The Ecosmart metro electric scooter, for example, falls right into this lower price range, with an 18 mph speed and 40 minutes of battery life. Other models in this range are the Xiaomi m365 electric scooter, the Mijia m365, and the Nanrobot D4 electric scooter. The Razor Ecosmart Metro is a favorite.
What Do I Get At The Top Of The Scooter Price Range?
If you have the money to spend and want an electric scooter that costs $2000-$3000 you’ll get a substantially more powerful motor, max speeds of up to 40+ MPH and a range of about 80 miles on a single charge of the lithium-ion battery. It will also have a more robust suspension, and in general more quality components. Basically, it is an electric scooter on steroids. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. If you want the most powerful scooter on the market.
One electric scooter model that gets you up near the upper price tier is the Gigabyke Groove.
The Relationship Between An Adult Electric Scooter’s Power And Speed
As mentioned, the larger the electric motor size, the more speed you get. So naturally lower priced scooters have smaller electric motors and lower top speeds. Motor size is measured in watts.
- At the lower price range, you’ll find motor sizes around 250 watts and perhaps a 15.5 mile per hour top speed.
- At the higher end of the price range, these motors can be as powerful as 5400 watts and give you a max speed of 40 miles per hour or more.
- Then there is everything in between, offering a lot of options for how fast you want to go.
You can learn more about how these vehicles work here.
How To Determine Value Of An Electric Scooter
It’s important to realize that there is a scooter for everyone in every price range. What you spend will determine what you get. These days even the cheap scooters are quality made and safe.
Here are some things to think about when determining the value of your purchase:
- How often will you use this vehicle?
- Does your motorized electric scooter model have a maximum weight capacity that will support your weight? Make sure before you buy.
- Do you have a lot of hills? Make sure your scooter is able to handle inclines.
- Consider the scooter cost per mile
- Will it keep your child entertained and outdoors for longer?
- Will more than one person be using it?
- Is the charging time acceptable?
- Does this save wear and tear on your car with an electric scooter for commuting?
- Do you have scooter friendly laws where you live?
- Does it have safety features like disc brakes and a headlight?
- Does it have enough shock absorbance for the roads you travel? This is important for offroad scooters as well.
- Most important-Does it make your life more fun?
Think about these factors and determine if the value is worth or exceeds the money cost. This goes for both electric scooters for adult and for kids.
Now that we have answered the question “How Much Does A Electric Scooter Cost?”, maybe it’s time to upgrade from electric skateboards.