It looks like that’s it for Google Glass…at least in its current iteration. The Google bosses have called an end to the Explorers program, which worked to put the glasses wearable in the hands of the select few willing to pay for an early model. The company has also officially removed the product from its experimental Google [x] program.
This doesn’t exactly come as a surprise. Glass has not proven itself as a compelling commercial product, at least not yet. With the “glasshole” epidemic, the high $1,500 price, the poor press, and the general awkwardness that grew around wearing the smart media glasses, Glass never looked likely to win the hearts of the masses, no matter how slim and shiny Google made it.
However, Google Glass will live on – but as a very different sort of project. All the Glass work, along with current manage Ivy Ross, is going to be moved over Tony Fadell, the CEO of Nest, the smart thermostat company that Google bought several months ago. Google is working on building Nest out from a thermostat into a full range of smart devices for the home and business, and it is likely that Glass will become one of those products.
While it is difficult to see Google Glass as a smart home project, there remain plenty of applications in the professional world, if Google wants to maintain development of the wearable. If not, well the individual components of Glass could prove very interesting in the home automation world, especially when it comes to security and features like facial recognition.
So don’t expect to see any more big Google marketing efforts with lots of on-face video. In fact, it may be some time before we hear anything about Glass again. In this is too disappointing for you avid fans out there, you still have a few days to sign up and buy the Explorer edition of Glass…assuming you can afford it.
Also why not check out:
- 4 Reasons To Not Buy Google Glass Today (List)
- 7 of the Funniest Google Glass Parody Videos to Geek Out to
- 7 Ways Google Glass will Change How We Think About and Interact With Sex
- Best Smart Glasses
- Blue May Justify Google Glass To Baseball Nerds
- Gadget Image of the Day: Google Glass Privacy Concerns in Perspective
- Google Glass Already Banned?
- Google Glass Becomes A Gunsight
- Google Glass Gets A Slight Upgrade, Lots Of Accessories
- Google Glass Gets Fashionable, Offers Prescription Lenses
- Google Glass Gets Torn Down, Is Surprisingly Simple
- Google Glass Just Got a Tesla App Called Glass Tesla, Here’s How It Works (video)
- Google Glass Porn App That Showed DIY POV Pornography No Longer
- Google Glass Tech Specs Revealed
- Google Glass V2 Is On The Way… But Will It Save Glass?
- Google Glasses App Identifies Friends By Their Clothing
- Nike Hindsight Concept Glasses Provide A Fish Eye View
- Reminder: Google Glass Is Available Tomorrow…Sort Of
- Video of the Day: Google Glass at the Gun Range (video)
- Wetley Brings Prescription Frames To Google Glass
- What Google’s Planning For Google Glass