If you’re a fan of Star Trek: The Next Generation, you’ve probably wanted a communicator. Communicators are great! Just tap a lapel badge, and it’ll instantly put you in contact with anybody who can further the plot! And, like all toys from science fiction programs, a bunch of nerds decided to sit down and make it a reality. It just so happens these nerds were from Google.
Make It So
It turns out that while we can’t communicate with spaceships, because they don’t exist yet, most of the rest of the Star Trek communicator is dead easy. After all, it’s just a Bluetooth headset, when you think about it. A highly advanced Bluetooth headset that can translate text to speech, but still, a Bluetooth headset.
And that’s more or less what Google engineered. You pin it to your lapel, like a communicator, and tap it to work. Admittedly, they didn’t have the cellular thing down quite yet; it uses your phone to allow you to voice search and answer questions. But that was really just a matter of installing a radio. There was, however, one small problem…
Get A Life!
Namely, that it was too dorky and awkward even for Google, and this is the company that was deeply invested in the idea that Google Glass was the future, and not a ticket to getting punched in the face. It turns out most people don’t want to talk to a device in public, or have it read off all the search data Google can spew out. Really, for most of us, it makes far more sense to have a Bluetooth socketed in our ear or just look at a screen than pin a speaker to our lapel.
Yet, at least we know it’s still out there, and who knows? Maybe one day, after we pioneer warp drives and begin exploring the galaxy, we’ll lose our sense of shame. Or it will just make a solid gift for a geek or really anyone who has a bit of nerd gifting in them.
Also why not check out:
- Check Out Hi-Rez Pics of JJ Abrams’ Star Trek Bridge
- Gadget Concept: Star Trek Record Player
- New Today: Star Trek Beyond Trailer
- Nissan Terranaut Star Trek Vehicle
- Samsung Plasma 60″ TV only $680! Discount Star Trek Blu-ray sets & More Monday Deals
- Serve Cold Drinks With The Star Trek Starfleet Ice Tray
- Star Trek Cologne: Redefining Oxymoron
- Star Trek Electronic Door Chime
- Star Trek Inflatable Captain’s Chair
- Star Trek Into Darkness Starfleet Phaser Limited Edition Gift Set Now Available On Amazon
- Star Trek Phone to go where no phone has gone before
- Star Trek Skele-Treks figures unveiled at Comic-Con
- Star Trek vs. Star Wars Infographic
- Super Trekkie Redesigns Apartment Inspired by Star Trek Starship Enterprise
- This Replica Star Trek Phaser Will Have Replica Klingons Running For Cover
- Turn Your Bathroom Into The Star Trek Transporter Room
- Unofficial Star Trek Chandelier To Light The Way Where…