Samsung has finally put a date on the U.S. release for its Galaxy Note Edge, otherwise known as the phablet with the screen that curves outward instead of inward. It will be available from carriers like AT&T and Sprint starting November 14th.
That curved screen, which offers an small strip of touchscreen facing outward on the side of the phone, is used for more than just aesthetics. The Galaxy Note Edge keeps a variety of features reserves for that edge screen, including the time, space for notifications, start-up touchscreen buttons, ruler apps, and more.
The idea is that you can use this strip of screen even when the phablet is covered and the rest of the touchscreen is taking a break. You can get a better idea of how the edge screen works with Samsung’s collection of photos showing the Edge in its flip wallet. The feature provides a phone that you can check unobtrusively for updates or apps without disturbing the conversation or business meeting. This works particularly well if the phone is lying on a table with the edge screen facing you.
Otherwise, the rest of the phone specs hit similar notes to the Galaxy Note 4. The Edge has a 5.6-inch AMOLED screen, 32 GB of memory, and runs on Android 4.4. It comes with front and rear-facing cameras, support for all the latest network protocols, and the “S pen” for taking notes or doodling.
If you think that the edge screen sounds neat, you can hop over to AT&T (or other carriers) and sign up for notifications. AT&T will start taking orders on November 7, a week before the phone’s release date. However, the phone comes with a hefty price tag. The Galaxy Note Edge costs $399 with AT&T’s two-year contract, but its full retail price is $945.99. Monthly payment plans will have you dishing out between $20 and $30 each month for this extra-screen smartphone and all those shortcuts it offers.
Also why not check out:
- 4 Things You Need to Know About The Beautiful Samsung Galaxy Alpha
- 5 Things You Need to Know About The Samsung Galaxy Note 4
- 8 Reason The Galaxy S4 is Better Than the iPhone 5s (list)
- A Samsung Galaxy S4 is Sold Every 0.25 Seconds, 10 Million Sold in Under a Month
- How to Unlock Your Samsung Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge
- More Samsung Galaxy Gear Being Offloaded by Best Buy at $99
- Nokia Lumia 928 vs Samsung Galaxy S4 (comparison)
- Official Release Date of Samsung T809 Announced
- Samsung and B&O Partner to Create Cell Phone
- Samsung announced the Galaxy Note 4 Edge at IFA 2014
- Samsung Blackjack II (SGH-i617) Revealed…sort of
- Samsung Epic 4G Touch Review (Sprint)
- Samsung Galaxy Camera Launch Date and Price Announced, Coming Nov. 16th for $500
- Samsung Galaxy Gear 2 vs Gear 1 (comparison)
- Samsung Galaxy Gear Smartwatch Will Need Your Phone To Do, Uh, Anything
- Samsung Galaxy Grand 2 Is Big But Smaller Than It Looks
- Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 Availability and Price Announced On AT&T, Sprint Coming Soon
- Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 Review (AT&T)
- Samsung Galaxy Nexus Review
- Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Review
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Flexible Display Debunked and Other Rumors
- Samsung Galaxy Note 3 Review
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Smartphone Review
- Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Smartphone Review
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Review: Curve Your Enthusiam
- Samsung Galaxy S 4G Review
- Samsung Galaxy S II Review (AT&T)
- Samsung Galaxy S III Review
- Samsung Galaxy S III vs. Galaxy S II (Comparison)