You’ve never seen a watch like this one, because a watch like this has never been attempted before.
Partly because the technology behind the design would have been impossible just a few years ago, but even putting that concern aside, the concept itself is so different from what we’re used to thinking of when we think wristwatch, that it actually carries all the merit – technology be damned.
“A storm can be a violent, destructive natural catastrophe. But at the centre of a swirling storm is a core of calm and quiet – the “eye of the storm.” This watch design was inspired by the eye of the storm. At its centre is a void. The time moves around the void.”
That’s how Yiran Qian, designer of the ‘Eye of the storm’ watch, sees the inspiration behind it. The balance between the minimalistic, fully black shape, and the shocking but calming void at its center does indeed remind of a storm, and it won him the ‘design concept 2010’ red dot award. It also makes one wonder how contemplating a naturally violent and overpowering event would culminate in such peaceful design.
But how does it actually display time? A button, when pressed, illuminates the frame – which in this case is the whole body of the watch – with two lines. Short and stocky for the hour hand, long and thin for the minute line.
Elegant, beautiful, and saves a lot of material and labor.
Also why not check out:
- 9 Things You Should Know About the Phosphor Touch Time Digital Watch (list)
- 9mm Swiss Watch Would Make James Bond Cry (But Not Your Wallet)
- Back to the Future Flux Capacitor Watch
- Best Online Watch Store: Expert Ratings and Buying Advice
- Casio G-Shock Gold Rose Series Watches are Ideal for the Sports Star
- Casio Metal Twisted G-Shock Watches Can Take A Beating
- Division Furtive Type 50 Is The LED Watch Of A Cyberpunk Future
- G-Shock’s Aviation Watches Can Withstand up to 15G Forces
- Gyroscopic Watch Winder Serves As A Reminder You’re Really Rich
- HOT Watch Is Essentially Your Smartphone In A Watch
- Hublot’s MP-02 Key Of Time Watch Is Ludicrous
- Nixon Synapse Watch is Sensitive…to the Touch
- Nixon Trader Watch can Survive a Bomb Blast
- Nixon Unit SS Watch Dives 300-Feet, Costs Just $200
- Nuclear Powered Watch will Glow for 25 Years, or Until You Get Sick
- Oakley Elite Full Metal Jacket Watch
- OMEGA Spacemaster Z-33
- Phosphor World Time Curved E-ink Watch Review
- Ritot Watch Projects Alerts On Your Hand (video)
- Suunto Makes A Digital Watch You’ll Actually Wear
- Swatch Touch Watch
- TAG-Heuer Carrera Mikrogirder Reinvents The Watch Movement
- The Batman Dark Knight Rises Limited Edition Watch Strikes Fear Into Small Wrists Every Where
- The Hundreds Casio G-Shock GW 5610
- The Recon 6 Combines A Multitool And A Watch
- The Ring Clock Tells Time On Your Fingers (video)
- This Super Mario Bros. Watch Costs Almost $19,000
- Tissot Augmented Reality Window at Harrods Let’s You Try On Any Watch Virtually (video)