Solar chargers, while logical are holy impractical, especially once our sun burns out, or at the very least night sets in. If you’re in a pinch, what are you to do?
The Eton BoostTurbine 2000 is a back up battery pack designed to charge just about any of your 5V, USB based devices. Plug in your iPhone or Android device and it should provide a complete or almost complete charge. It’s of the 1amp ilk, which means it can charge your iPad, though at half the speed at which it charges your iPhone, but it will work nonetheless.
What makes the Eton BoostTurbine 2000 unique is that it features a hand turbine power generator, also known as a hand crank. If you didn’t know, Eton employs this tech in a variety of their hand crankable radios, so it’s a logical transition for the company. So if you’re in a pinch, and have no juice left in either your phone or BoostTurbine, you can set about cranking the handle for 1-minute, which will fetch you a 30-second call or a few text messages.
Eton says the BoostTurbine 2000 is made from aluminum to make it both light weight and rugged. The hand crank is clearly intended for those moments when you’re in a pinch, where as the micro-USB input is for charging it up by way of the grid. To check the battery’s remaining juice there is a button that activates 4 LED lights, which we assume also serves as a power switch.
The Eton BoostTurbine is also available in a 1000mAh version and retails for $49 ($10 more for the 2000 version). They come in black, white, red, or silver.
Also why not check out:
- 12 Portable Chargers That Work Both With iPhone and Android Phones (list)
- 3-In-1 Hand-Warming Phone Charger Is Perfect For Traveling This Winter
- 6 of the Best Qi Wireless Chargers
- Ampere is a Smart Wireless Charging Sleeve To Charge Your Smartphones
- AMPY: Power Your Devices With Your Daily Motion
- ARK is a Portable, Battery That Wirelessly Charges Your Phone
- Bolt Battery Backup Charger Will Keep Your Phone On No Matter What Thanks to a Built-in Battery
- Charge Your Smartphone In Just Five Minutes With Zap&Go
- ChargeAll Is A Portable Wall Charger Alternative For All Your Devices
- Chargerito is The Smallest iPhone 6 Charger, Fits on Your Keychain
- Cota Might Finally Make Wireless Power A Reality
- DuPont Wants To Turn Your Countertop Into A Wireless Charger
- Energizer Debuts Universal Wireless Charging System
- Fuel + Mobile Rechargeable Battery 9000mAH Review
- GoKey Is A Keychain Sized Portable Charger
- Gomadic High Capacity Rechargeable Battery Review
- Griffin PowerDuo Reserve Review
- HooToo TripMate Is A Portable Charger And A Travel Router As Well
- Hyrdoelectric Power Plant In A Backpack Now For Real
- i.Sound Portable Power Max 16,000 mAH Backup Battery Review
- Kensington Launches USB AAA Battery Charger, The Rechargeable Pocket Booster
- Lightors: USB Rechargeable Batteries You Need In Your Life
- Limefuel Rugged 15,000 mAh Battery Case Can Survive Anything
- Lithiumcard Is A Unique Charger That Can Fit Inside Your Wallet
- Mili Adds Power Miracle & Power Crystal Battery Packs
- Mophie Juice Pack Pro Powerstation Review
- Mophie’s Powerstation XL Packs A Crazy 12,000mAH
- myCharge Peak 6000 Review
- NFTY PL+S Is the Only Smart Charger You’ll Ever Need