Dojo Labs has been developing smart technology for a while now, but has finally decided to launch its venture and open preorders for the Dojo, a rock-like smart device that wants to keep your home safe…especially when it comes to digital security.
Smart homes tend to have a rather obvious security flaw – they all depend on wireless networks, which are not the safest way to transmit sensitive information, even with the latest encryption efforts. Who watches the wireless? Well, Dojo Labs decided to smartify your Wi-Fi to fix this smart home security system problem.
That little Dojo pebble may surprise with just how much it doesn’t do: It doesn’t operate any home systems outside of the wireless network, and it doesn’t manage any of the growing number of security devices on the market. But it does keep a very special eye on all your other wireless activity, looking for problems. When it discovers an issue, the device immediately alerts you on your phone so you can take action.
This happens several different ways. If there’s a connected appliance on your network acting strange, your phone will let you know and you can tell Dojo to block the device. If there’s what looks like an active hacking attempt on a Wi-Fi device, you’ll get notices about that to. If a smart device is sneaking information outside your network (even to a manufacturer), the device will tell you about it and allow you to block it. It can also warn you if you are about to visit a suspicious URL over your Wi-Fi network.
Dojo Labs says that Dojo also uses learning algorithms to understand how home automation devices are typically used so that it can watch for inconsistencies that may crop up over time as your smart home grows.
The device and its charging station will ship in mid-2016, but you can preorder on Amazon now for $100. The big question is whether Dojo will even be necessary in a couple of years: We are already seeing smart routers equipped with extensive – and similar – network monitoring options, so these features may be naturally included in your home router before too long.
Also why not check out:
- $15 Motion Sensitive Window Alarm
- A $2 Wireless Emitter Can Beat SimpliSafe’s Home Security System
- abode Challenges Scout Alarm in the “Ultra-DIY” Home Security Market
- ADT Announces Pulse: A Feature-Rich New Smart Home Security Product
- Alarm Sounding Beach Safe Keeps Your Valuables Protected
- Angee Home Security System Raises over $470,000 on Kickstarter, Protects with Spinning Camera
- Another Personal, Internet Based Alarm System: InGrid
- BeOn Smart Light Bulbs Offer An Instant Layer of Home Security
- Best Home Security for Las Vegas
- Best Home Security Systems in Atlanta
- BoxLock Will Protect Your Home Deliveries
- Burglar Blaster Detects Home Intruders, Fires Pepper Spray
- Canary Home Security Review
- Caution: Some Home Security Cameras Might Share Your Private Videos
- Circle Parental Filter Controls And Internet Filtering
- Cocoon Is A Smart Device That Will Protect Your Home
- Defender 4K Wired Security System Review
- FrontPoint Home Security System Review
- Frontpoint Security Offers A Truly Customizable DIY Security System
- Gate Camera Smart Lock Is Packed With Security Features
- Honeywell Lyric Home Security System
- iCamera Keep Pro Home Security System Review
- Ideal Security Wireless Motion Sensor Starter Package
- Kevin Is A Virtual Roommate That Protects Against Burglars
- KeyWe Is A Smart Lock For Your Home
- LiveWatch Home Security System Review
- MYNT ES Smart GPS Tracker: Track Your Gadgets Any Where
- Nest Security Review Roundup
- Novi 4-in-1 HD Home Security System Review