The Dish Voice Remote is a $30 remote control that comes with newer Dish Network products and services – or you can buy the remote separately for a slightly older system as an upgrade. If you like telling your TV what to do rather than pushing too many buttons, check out the reviews for this new feature!
There are a couple different new Dish remotes, but Satellite Reviews focused on the version with the touchscreen, which allows you to press down on a side button and speak to the remote commands like, “Guide” or “Search ____” to find what you’re looking for. You can also do more complete searches for things like movies with a specific actor, games with a specific sports team, and so on. SR’s tests showed that the voice recognition appears extremely accurate, probably due to the short-range nature of the mic.
DISH’s Voice Remote goes for $30 right now (special pricing as it may increase to $50 in the near future). It’s also only compatible with the Hopper 3 DVR and 4K Joeys. So, if you have older equipment installed and are generally happy with your program guide and setup, it’s probably not worth the upgrade just for the remote. However, if you’ve been on the fence about upgrading to the Hopper 3, the Voice Remote may just tip the scales for ya. It definitely lets you navigate quicker and more efficiently…and really makes the whole process of finding and watching TV programs quite a bit more enjoyable.
TG liked the scroll function, which allows users to quickly scan through multiple channels in a familiar way rather than using old-fashioned buttons. They also praised the system for being able to find pretty much anything, or at least make a meaningful suggestion to help you locate the right show or movie. However, they also noted that multiple results seemed a little confused, making it difficult to tell what was the most recent show, what was saved in the DVR, and wasn’t airing yet.
I was impressed with the accuracy and ease of use of the Dish Voice Remote; try as I might, it recognized almost everything I said. And you can use voice commands to search for just about anything, too. But while voice search is the most prominent feature of Dishꞌs new $30 remote, itꞌs the other things, such as backlit keys and a smaller, more hand-friendly design, that really make this a smart upgrade for Dish owners.
Amazon users really didn’t care for the touchscreen aspect of the new remote! Some found that, because of the size of the remote, it often took two hands to use the touchscreen accurately, and that it was too easy to push the wrong button and end up somewhere wrong. Others found that the touchpad malfunctioned or had other problems (although to be fair others really enjoyed it) – so it’s probably best not to buy the Voice Remote just for this feature.
It works exactly as it’s supposed to, but I have to admit that the touchpad is a real pain in the butt. Most of the time you have to hold it in one hand and push the “virtual buttons” with the other or you will end up on some obscure channel you didn’t want. It’s a nice idea – in theory – but in practice, not so much. It does work well though and is smaller than your average remote.
Also why not check out:
- Amazon Prime Video Is On DISH Hopper 3
- American Airlines Offers Live TV Powered By DISH
- AT&T SportsNet and the Vegas Golden Knights Now Available on DISH in Las Vegas
- Best Satellite TV
- College Football Fan? DISH Has You Covered
- DirecTV Genie vs. DISH Hopper: How the Genie and the Hopper Compare
- DirecTV vs. DISH for RV’s: Satellite TV for your Mobile Home
- DirecTV vs. DISH Picture Quality: Who Has Better Picture Quality? DirecTV or DISH?
- DirecTV vs. DISH vs. COMCAST: The Showdown Between DirecTV, DISH, and COMCAST
- DirecTV vs. DISH vs. TIME WARNER: Who’s the Best Provider?
- DISH Activates Google Assistant On Hopper Receivers
- DISH Anywhere App Review
- DISH Brings College Football To Seven Peaks Music Festival
- DISH Joins Apple Business Chat
- DISH Launches OnePoint To Control Multiple TVs
- DISH Network and DirecTV Channel Guide
- DISH Network Comes Down Hard on Satellite Pirates
- Dish Network Earnings Saved By Massive Subscriptions to Sling TV
- DISH Network Review, A Hands On Experience
- Dish Network Updates Dish Anywhere App with Personalization Features
- Dish Network Wireless Joey Review Roundup
- Dish Voice Remote Allows Customized Channel Control
- DISH vs. Time Warner Cable (comparison)
- Get Great Dish TV Packages From Planet Dish
- Google Assistant Now Available On DISH
- Hopper 3 Review Round Up
- How To Program a Dish Network Remote: Using Your Remote with a New Device
- Watch EPIX 4K Ultra HD Movies On DISH
- Watch The World Cup Live in 4K on DISH