Even with some of the greatest universal remotes (read more here for additional info on remotes) known to man, changing the channel can still be an annoying process—especially if you are also trying to master a new TV, find a channel you’ve never tried before, or any other common holiday challenge.
Dish Network knows this, which is why one of their big new features is full voice command when surfing your satellite channels.
Read Next: DISH goes head-to-head with DirecTV
Chances are good that – thanks to the rise of Cortana, Alexa, Google Home, and the others – that you are a lot more familiar and comfortable with voice commands now than you were a year ago. If the thought of changing your channels with a command rather than a traditional remote is appealing to you, here are the details: The voice command feature will be available on all second generation Hopper DVR models for free, but you will be able to purchase the upgrade on your current Dish system (assuming it’s a newer, compatible model) for a one-time fee of $20. Not too bad!
The voice command feature is tied to a new remote (top universal remotes reviewed here). The remote, which features motion activated backlighting (meh) and two customizable buttons (interesting), has microphones that turn on when you hold down the voice button. This allows you to change to a channel of your choosing, find out what’s on, and even browse Netflix, along with other basic commands.
Frankly, the remote is a cool upgrade just for the customizable buttons, since you can program them to go wherever you want and save time with the remote. However, it’s important to mention that the Dish voice command options are also available via other smart home devices like the Amazon Echo or Amazon Dot. You can link Alexa to a Hopper 3 or later model and use her to change the channel if you don’t like the idea of another remote to juggle.
Also why not check out:
- Amazon Prime Video Is On DISH Hopper 3
- American Airlines Offers Live TV Powered By DISH
- AT&T SportsNet and the Vegas Golden Knights Now Available on DISH in Las Vegas
- Best Satellite TV
- College Football Fan? DISH Has You Covered
- DirecTV Genie vs. DISH Hopper: How the Genie and the Hopper Compare
- DirecTV vs. DISH for RV’s: Satellite TV for your Mobile Home
- DirecTV vs. DISH Picture Quality: Who Has Better Picture Quality? DirecTV or DISH?
- DirecTV vs. DISH vs. COMCAST: The Showdown Between DirecTV, DISH, and COMCAST
- DirecTV vs. DISH vs. TIME WARNER: Who’s the Best Provider?
- DISH Activates Google Assistant On Hopper Receivers
- DISH Anywhere App Review
- DISH Brings College Football To Seven Peaks Music Festival
- DISH Joins Apple Business Chat
- DISH Launches OnePoint To Control Multiple TVs
- DISH Network and DirecTV Channel Guide
- DISH Network Comes Down Hard on Satellite Pirates
- Dish Network Earnings Saved By Massive Subscriptions to Sling TV
- DISH Network Review, A Hands On Experience
- Dish Network Updates Dish Anywhere App with Personalization Features
- Dish Network Wireless Joey Review Roundup
- Dish Voice Remote Review Roundup
- DISH vs. Time Warner Cable (comparison)
- Get Great Dish TV Packages From Planet Dish
- Google Assistant Now Available On DISH
- Hopper 3 Review Round Up
- How To Program a Dish Network Remote: Using Your Remote with a New Device
- Watch EPIX 4K Ultra HD Movies On DISH
- Watch The World Cup Live in 4K on DISH