Want to go zero to 60 in less than 4 seconds?
Now you can – and in a completely electric car. Detroit Electric, which made some of the first electric vehicles in the early 1900’s is getting back behind the wheel. The SP:01, the first vehicle to bear the Detroit Electric name since 1939, features an electric propulsion system that the company says will make it the “fastest-ever production electric car.” It also carries the distinction of being the “First pure electric sports car to be built in the Motor City.”
The SP:01 will be able to reach 62 miles per hour in just 3.7 seconds and will be capable of reaching a top speed of 155 mph. (Compare that with the Tesla Roadster Sport, which reaches 60 mph in 3.7 seconds.)
You’ll also find plenty of amenities in the SP:01, which features a removable body-colored hardtop, an integrated console smartphone that controls all of the car’s auxiliary functions, and a luxurious interior with leather and carbon fiber trim.
Other specs include a 90.6-inch wheelbase, fully independent front and rear suspensions, a mid-rear configuration (battery in the center, power sent to the rear wheels) and an electric power plant you can see through the car’s transparent hatch. Meanwhile, the SP:01’s electric motor generates 201 bhp (150 kW) and 166 lb ft of torque, and its electric charge lasts for over 180 miles.
Drivers can choose from seven exterior colors (I’m partial to the sharp Electric Blue seen above) and three different alloy wheel designs. That’s, of course, if you can afford the car’s hefty price tag of $135,000.
Also why not check out:
- Angel Car: Mobile EV Charger
- Boxx Electric Moped
- BRABUS Creates 4WD Full Electric E-Class Prototype
- British Millionaire Makes Electric Supercar From Lotus Exige
- Chevy Bolt EV Review
- Electric Car Travels 624 Miles On A Single Charge, New World Record
- GM’s EN-V Network Connected Electric Vehicle Is Dripping In Future Tech, But Can It Succeed At Saving The Earth Let Alone Drivers
- Mitsubishi i-MiEV Electric Car Review
- Outrun Video Game Electric Car (video)
- Pininfarina and Bolloré Unveil All Electric Car With Supercapacitors
- Renaul DeZir Electric Car Conceptually Rocks
- Rimac’s Concept One: An Electric Sports Car Built by a 23-year-old (video)
- Smart Forvision Concept
- Tata Megapixel Concept Range Extended Electric Vehicle (REEV) Full of Innovative Features
- Zap Alias: An Electric Car For Under Thirty Grand