Not that we’ve been holding our breaths on this, but Dell has finally ‘outed’ their Adamo laptop. I’m not sure I’m ‘falling in love’ (that’s the loose meaning of the word in Latin) but with a claim of the world’s thinnest laptop (.64-inches) I’m relatively impressed.
Physically the Adamo is crafted from one piece of aluminum – similar to Apple’s new Macbooks – and it most certainly stinks of a Mac wanna be humanization. Starting at $1,999 you’ll get a Intel Core 2 Duo processors, DDR3 RAM, 13.4-inch 1366×768 edge-to-edge screen, WiFi, Bluetooth 2.1, up to a 5 hour battery, 2x USB ports, 1x USB/eSata combo port, Display Port, Vista Home Premium and your choice of an Onyx or or Pearl finish. All of that equates to 4lbs; almost a pound more than its closest competitor, the Macbook Air.
Cnet scored a hands on and their version included 1.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo U9300, 2GB of RAM, and a 64GB SSD hard drive (optional 128GB SSD, maybe) but that might change when these things become available for purchase world wide starting March 26th.
Video and full release after the ‘leap’
ROUND ROCK, Texas, March 17, 2009 – Style-minded people who place a premium on precision craftsmanship and design can now add Adamo to their list of must-have items for 2009. Dell today unveiled the world’s thinnest laptop as a kick off to the new Adamo by Dell brand.
Adamo, derived from the Latin word meaning “to fall in love,” will serve as a flagship in a line of products created to disrupt the personal computing space with the combination of new design, aesthetics, personalization choices and sought-after technologies.
Adamo is the pinnacle of craftsmanship and design and features:
· A chassis milled from a single piece of aluminum featuring precision detailing and a scalloped backlit keyboard
· Striking high definition edge-to-edge glass display
· Fully connected with WiFi, Bluetooth(tm) and optional integrated mobile broadband* and full complement of connectivity ports with no compromises
· Cool, quiet and robust solid state drives
· Available in Onyx and Pearl colors with a broad range of complementary accessories
· Price starting at $1999
“Great design needs to be timeless and evoke emotion in people”, said Alex Gruzen, senior vice president of Dell’s consumer products. “While a premium computing experience was assumed for Adamo, the intent was for people to see, touch and explore Adamo and be rewarded by the select materials and craftsmanship you would expect in a fine watch.”
“Dell continues to signal a commitment to design and personalization across its entire product line and has made significant strides forward in the past year,” said Rob Enderle, Principal Analyst, Enderle Group. “The Adamo laptop is a showcase for this commitment and a flagship product that will draw buyers to the brand.”
People who choose Adamo will be offered a unique color matched collection of Adamo by Dell branded peripherals and accessories including, in the U.S. an exclusive line of bags from TUMI. Choices will include:
· External storage option with 250GB** or 500GB** external hard drive.
· External DVD+/-RW or Blu-ray disc drive.
· 8GB** USB drive.
· Connectors and cables including DisplayPort to HDMI, DVI, and VGA.
· Adamo Premium Service (US Only):
o 24/7 access to Dell’s best trained technicians
o Consistent communication with a dedicated personal team
The Adamo by Dell brand is being supported by innovative and new approaches to marketing and promotion for Dell. Designed to challenge people’s perceptions of what a computer is, the Adamo by Dell brand was inspired by fashion, luxury brands and timeless design.
Dell has looked beyond traditional approaches to reaching computer shoppers and launched a provocative campaign featuring:
· A stylish worldwide print campaign shot by acclaimed British-based photographer Nadav Kandar and featuring high-fashion models that reinforces the “fall in love” positioning. Kander, whose work is celebrated in galleries worldwide, also shot the moving portfolio, “Obama’s People,” which appeared in The New York Times Magazine earlier this year.
· AdamoByDell.com , the centerpiece of the campaign and a highly stylized site where viewers can learn about Adamo, register for updates and, beginning today, place orders. Since its launch last month, AdamoByDell.com has attracted nearly 800,000 unique visitors from around the world and more than 1 million page views.
· Artful packaging in which the product arrives “floating” in a clear box with minimal clutter – a beautiful experience for a sophisticated product.
· Intel® Core 2 Duo processors with Intel® Centrino ® technology
· DDR3 system memory
· 13.4-inch 16:9 HD display
· Draft-Wireless N
· High-performance solid state drives standard
· Bluetooth 2.1
· Mobile Broadband* option
· Up to 5+ hours of battery life (preliminary)***
· 2 USB ports, 1 USB/eSATA combo port, Display Port, RJ-45 port
· Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-bit
Available for pre-order today at www.adamobydell.com and shipping worldwide starting March 26, 2009, Adamo will be available online for purchase in 24 countries including U.S., Canada, Mexico, Brazil, U.K. France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Russia, Sweden, Switzerland, UAE, ANZ, China, Honk Kong, India, Korea, Malaysia/Singapore, Japan, and Indonesia.
Also why not check out:
- 2014 Dell Inspiron 15 5000 Notebook with Core i5 Drops to $520
- Confirmed: Dell to go AMD this October
- Dell Adds 128MB Solid State Hard Drive Options To Notebooks
- Dell Announces New Ultra Light Weight Laptop: Latitude E4200
- Dell Announces Pricing for All New Windows 8 Machines, Includes All New Duo (video)
- Dell Announces Sub $1000 Laptop With Blu-ray
- Dell Infuses XPS 17-inch Laptop With 3D Screen And Second Gen Intel Processors
- Dell Inspiron Mini 12 Laptop Ships Early December
- Dell Inspiron Mini 12 Netbook: Pretty, But One Dull Dell
- Dell Inspiron Mini 9 Launch Date and Pricing Unveiled
- Dell Intros Quad-Core Laptop: Precision M6400 Covet
- Dell Laptop Packaged with Chip for High Speed Internet
- Dell Latitude E4200 Availability Date Unveiled
- Dell Launches $300 Laptop: Dell E
- Dell Mini 5 (video)
- Dell Outs Ballistic Armored Laptop, The Latitude E6400 XFR (videos)
- Dell Precision M6400 Details and Specs Emerge
- Dell Recalls 4.1 Million Sony Manufactured Laptop Batteries
- Dell Ships Laptop(s) With Keylogger Installed
- Dell Studio Launches 14z Laptop, A Student Friendly Machine
- Dell Unveils First Laptop With 32GB RAM
- Dell XPS 13 Review
- Dell’s 10-inch Netbook, The Inspiron Mini 10 Get’s Official, Goes Up For Sale On QVC
- Dell’s Latitude XT2 XFR Tablet Gets Official, Slimmest Rugged Tablet PC (video)
- Dell’s Latitude Z600 Is The World’s Thinnest, Lightest 16-inch Laptop And Does Wireless Charging
- Dell’s New 2013 Inspirion 7000 Series: 14, 15, & 17 (Update: Black Friday Coupon!)
- Dell’s XPS 12 Is An Attempt To One-Up The Surface
- Gadget Rumor: Dell To Release Adamo Laptop, Macbook Air Murderer
- Inspiron Mini 12 (1210) Shows Up On Dell
- Razer BLADE Pro Vs. MacBook Pro Retina Display (comparison)
- The Dell Adamo XPS Laptop Could Not Be Much Thinner