For those who need their morning coffee – except better than it’s ever been before – we’re happy to introduce the best Cuisinart coffee maker for 2017! Cuisinart has designed minimalistic coffee machines that will feel very familiar, but also include new features to improve on almost every aspect of making coffee.
Our favorite coffee machine was the Cuisinart DGB-900BC Coffee Maker ($150.13), which is filled with features that grind-and-drip coffee makers desperately need. That includes an insulated carafe to keep coffee warm longer, a grinder that can be set to grind between 2-12 cups, 24-hour programming options, and a coffee strength adjustment for those days when you need extra caffeine. It’s certainly one of the best standard coffeemakers that we’ve seen, but there are other Cuisinart models for different purposes, so let’s take a look at our favorites.
Best Cuisinart Coffee Maker
|Name||Cuisinart DGB-900BC||Cuisinart SS-10||Cuisinart DCC-450BK|
|Rank||#1 - Editor's Choice/Best Cuisinart Coffee Maker with Grinder||#2 - Best Cuisinart Single Serve Coffee Maker||#3 - Best Cuisinart 4 Cup Coffee Maker|
|Carafe Size||12 cups||N/A||4 cups|
|Filters||Charcoal, gold tone||Reusable filter cup, charcoal||None (Room for paper filters)|
|Strength/Size Options||Strong, medium, mild||1-13 ounces||None|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
How We Choose the Best Cuisinart Coffee Maker
How do we compare the best Cuisinart coffee makers out of so many different models to choose from? It’s all about usability – how well a particular model performs in everyday situations at home or at work. What features actually make a coffeemaker more useful, or faster to use? One reason that we scored the DGB-900BC as our top model is its smart, subtle grinder feature that automatically grinds beans for a fresh cup of on-demand coffee, with minimal physical prep needed.
Of course, grinders and similar features aren’t worth much without the right programming and automation features to back them up, so we look for full 24-hour programming and scheduling features that are easy to learn and allow for specific variations, such as coffee strength. Models like the SS-10, with their water tanks and extra Rinse and Hot Water features, also scored high as they increased the usability of such models.
Size of the carafe is also important, but we looked for plenty of variance when it came to this feature. Single serve drinkers who don’t want to mess with grinds and carafes will love the Keurig-like SS-10, while the DCC-450BK is ideal for travel, apartments, dorms and other small spaces where a larger coffeemaker just wouldn’t work.
Speaking of carafes, we studied them as well. A good carafe has insulation to keep coffee warm as long as possible, while still being friendly to weary morning fingers and easy to clean in the case of coffee stains. Not all Cuisinart models use carafes, but we paid close attention to those that do.
We also took into account overall design. Cuisinart’s latest models feature plenty of smooth, steel-tinted curves that are simple to clean and match other modern kitchen appliances well, and none of our top picks look particularly out of place compared to more traditionally designed coffee makers either.
Related: Best Drip Coffee Maker
Why You Should Buy a New Cuisinart Coffee Maker
One of the useful things about Cuisinart’s coffeemaker brand is that there are many different models, suited for many different purposes. If you don’t have a coffee machine that’s specifically designed for how you use it, you deserve a new version.
Do you like Keurig cups and single serve options? The SS-10 is perfect for you. Do you want a small coffeemaker for your loft but haven’t been able to find the right one? The DCC-450BK is ideal, just like the DGB-900BC is a great office-based model, and so on.
Additionally, think about getting a new model if your current coffeemaker is giving you problems. For example, if your coffee has a habit of growing to cold in the carafe, our top picks are an ideal solution with their insulated carafes and single serve options that make sure your coffee is always hot.
#1 Pick Cuisinart DGB-900BC – Editor’s Choice/Best Cuisinart Coffee Maker with Grinder
Price: $150.13 | Carafe Size: 12 cups | Filters: Charcoal, gold tone | Strength Options: Strong, medium, mild
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: An all-around excellent coffee machine with a built-in grinder and plenty of programming options.
Coffeemakers with grinders provide on-demand, programmable grinds to make sure that your cup of coffee is as fresh as possible (the grinder is set to automatically grind before starting to brew, so the two features work together). This, plus the three-option strength selection, allows you to customize the machine to exactly the sort of coffee you want. The 24-hour programming is perfect for the home, while the 12-cup carafe size is great for the office – basically, anyplace where people get serious about their coffee and grinds.
There are also several other little tricks that Cuisinart has included with the DGB-900BC. Both a permanent and charcoal filter make sure that the coffee is free from grains or odd tastes, while “brew pause” feature allows you to put everything on hold and get a quick cup of coffee while brewing is still ongoing, for those times when you need coffee now.
The automatic shut-off will save energy, while the grind control program allows you to adjust how many coffee beans you grind each time. The Cuisinart thermal coffee maker carafe is insulated to keep coffee hot in the long term, too. These are the sort of unobtrusive but useful features that make a coffeemaker worthwhile.View on Amazon
#2 Pick Cuisinart SS-10 – Best Cuisinart Single Serve Coffee Maker
Price: $149.00 | Carafe Size: N/A | Filters: Reusable filter cup, charcoal | Strength Options: 4-12 ounce size options
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: This Keurig-compatible machine is great for the whole family.
Not everyone likes drip coffee or carafes that can grow stale a little too quickly sometimes. For those people, we offer the excellent SS-10, a single serve coffeemaker in the tradition of Keurigs. In fact, if you compare Cuisinart single serve coffee maker vs. Keurig models, the Cuisinart even has some advantages.
It works with Keurig cups for one, so if you have a bunch of cups stashed away you can still use them. It also offers multiple beverage sizes from 4-12 ounces, and comes with a hot water button for making tea, soup, and anything else that includes hot water. The large screen makes programming easy, too! The water tank could be a little easier to use with its awkward sensor/measuring rod placement, but otherwise this model is a winner.View on Amazon
#3 Pick Cuisinart DCC-450BK – Best Cuisinart 4 Cup Coffee Maker
Price: $34.95 | Carafe Size: 4 cups | Filters: N/A (Room for paper filter) | Strength Options: N/A
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: Save space and money for a small coffeemaker that gives up surprisingly little!
Are you looking for a far more affordable coffee machine that’s designed for smaller tasks. If only one or two people are going to be using the coffee maker, but you still want quality, then this 4-cup model fits great in a small corner or on a busy counter.
It doesn’t have much in the way of customization or programming options, but it does have several of those quality Cuisinart features. That includes the brew pause capability and the automatic shutoff. Sometimes simple really is best.
What to Look for When Buying the Best Cuisinart Coffee Maker
- There’s not much point in getting a fancy new coffee machine if you don’t use any of the new controls – and let’s face, it’s hard to try new things early in the morning when you just want to pour a cup of java.
- Look for controls that are simple to understand and don’t overcomplicate anything. The five buttons and simple dial of our top pick are about as complex as we want to see. The large screen and morning-friendly buttons of the single is even better. If you aren’t sure how to use Cuisinart coffee maker models, please read the instructions, they’re always helpful.
- Charcoal filters are a great option for simple, high-speed coffee, because they help remove any weird water odors that might linger if you poured straight from the tap.
- Other filters help increase the quality of your brew, and more. However, remember to clean them out!
- Auto shut-off features turn the coffee maker off after a certain amount of time if it hasn’t been used. Usually this feature kicks in after 20 to 30 minutes.
- Not only does this help you save money, but it also keeps the coffee maker from wearing out as fast, increases safety, and improves efficiency. However, it may not be the best feature for the workplace.
A Strong, Easy-to-Use Carafe
- Pick a carafe that you like – one that’s easy to hold and pour, has a good grip, and won’t shatter to pieces if you accidentally bump it. Cuisinart is a good choice here, because their carafes are generally designed for durability.
Hot Water Options
- Do you have an arrangement where making tea or hot chocolate is also important? Look for a model that makes this easy. Our single serve pick is worth calling out here, because it comes with a dedicated hot water button so you can instantly prepare hot water beverages that aren’t coffee…if necessary.
Related: Nespresso Vertuoline Review
Mistakes to Avoid
Ignoring cup sizes: Note the sizes on the tanks and carafes on each of our models! You’re going to make a family or workplace angry if you need a model that can handle 15 cups but only get one that can hold 8 cups. This is even important on single serve machines, because every time the water tank runs out, you’ll have to fill it again, which can be a pain.
Buy for the coffee you like to drink In other words, if you like to switch between medium and strong coffee, then pick a machine that offers those options. If you prefer drip coffee, don’t get a Keurig-style machine. If you like drinking more than one cup at a time, don’t get a tiny 2-4 cup machine unless you’re the only one using it.
Don’t ignore scooping/grinding instructions: It doesn’t pay to get sloppy. Don’t just slam beans or grounds into the coffee maker and demand that it work. Instead, look for instructions on scooping or grinding, and find the appropriate way to do it. Ultimately, this will save time.
Forgetting maintenance requirements: Wondering how to clean Cuisinart coffee maker models? Don’t guess! Look at the instructions, and clean regularly. No one likes gross coffee grim to pile up over time, and if you don’t clean out filters and water tanks regularly, they could damage your machine with blockages and other problems.
What Else You Should Think About
Not sure what feature you want in the best Cuisinart coffee maker? Shop around a little before you buy! Take a look at our Keurig Vue review to see if an advanced Keurig is more your style. Look through the best coffee makers with grinders to see what other features are out there, and check out the best drip coffee makers from other brands to get a better idea of the market before you make a choice.
And if you think you may enjoy a morning espresso or latte more than straight coffee, we have more good news for you. There are plenty of home espresso machines to explore, each with their own unique features and benefits for a fancier cup of coffee.
Also why not check out:
- 10 Amazing Coffee Machines For The Caffeine Addicted (list)
- Best Coffee Maker With Grinder in 2020
- Best Coffee Pods
- Best Decaf Coffee
- Best Drip Coffee Maker
- Best Hamilton Beach Coffee Maker: Pour Yourself a Fresh Cup With Our Top 3
- Best Pour Over Coffee Maker: Brew Like A Pro
- Best Single Serve Coffee Maker
- Best Whole Bean Coffee
- Breville’s Barista Express Coffee Machine Makes Cafe-Worthy Espresso
- Brew Coffee Even In The Toughest Environments With Coffeeboxx
- Brew Coffee Like a Barista With Arist
- Bruvelo Smart Coffee Maker Lets You Make Your Own Recipes
- Cafflano Klassic Crams An Entire Coffee Setup Into A Travel Mug
- Dr. Drip Coffee Review
- Fingerprint Coffee Machine Brews To Your Biometric Tastes
- French Press Travel Container For The Commuter
- Ikawa Lets You Roast Coffee With The Touch Of A Button
- Mini French Press Coffee Mug Makes the Perfect Cup of Euro Joe
- Minipresso Lets You Get The Perfect Cup Of Coffee, No Matter Where You Are (video)
- Mr. Coffee 10-Cup Smart Optimal Brew Coffeemaker with WeMo Review
- MugStir: Your Coffee Cups Best Friend
- NOTA Coffee Mug Features Innovative Design
- Pakt Coffee Kit – Have Coffee, Will Travel
- Peel UK Coffee Machine
- Poppy Pour-Over is a Coffee Lover’s High-Tech Dream
- Self Heating Coffee Mug
- Smarter Coffee Second Generation Coffee Maker
- Starbucks Verismo 580 Coffee Brewer Review