Chevy finally got on board with the whole hybrid/electric car thing and built the Chevy Volt (Chevy actually has an all electric golf cart that is road legal on streets 30MPH or slower). Today, Bob Lutz, Chevy’s CEO, revealed the actual price of the new Volt. He originally said it would be $30k, but it turns out he was WRONG. The Volt will cost $40,000. No biggy if Congress passes the hybrid tax credit of $7,000 (as reported by Autoblog). Lutz said that they’re losing money on the gen 1 of the Volt so hence the price increase.
The Chevy Volt is a hybrid vehicle that runs on both gas and lithium-ion batteries. The lithium-ion batteries should provide a 40 mile range, which is ideal for those commuting locally. Those who wish to take the Volt on a road trip can rely on the gas engine that will run on regular petroleum or Ethanol 85. When the gas engine kicks in it will subsequently charge the lithium batteries and give the Volt a 600 mile range. The Chevy Volt is designed to use a common 110-volt household plug (phew).
The Chevy Volt isn’t expected to hit the consumer market until 2010.
Official Chevy Volt page here
Also why not check out:
- 11 Reasons the Corvette C7 Is a Budget Supercar (list)
- 2014 Chevy’s boast updated MyLink, Smartphone integration
- 2014 Corvette Stingray Announced From Chevrolet (video)
- 2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Review
- 2015 Chevy Corvette Z06 Gets A Supercharged Engine and at Least 625HP (video)
- 2015 GMC Yukon Denali, Chevy Suburban First Drive and Look (video)
- All New 2020 Corvette Stingray Priced at Just $67,500, Revealed and Video
- Apple Teams Up With Chevy To Integrate Siri Into Their Cars (video)
- Chevrolet Bolt EV First Drive Review
- Chevy Bolt EV Review
- Chevy Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
- Chevy Spark EV First Drive: the Affordable Electric Car
- Chevy Volt Review
- Chevy Volt Uses GPS To Adjust Engine Use
- Hands on With the 2014 Chevy Spark EV (pics)
- Hands on with the Chevy Spark (pics)
- Opel Outs Ampera Hybrid Vehicle, Uses Chevy Volt Engine
- Watch Chevy’s Corvette C7 Tear Up One of the Baddest Parties at Coachella 2014 (video)