At this point, most tablets come with keyboard covers, mostly thanks to everybody wanting to be in those Surface ads, but not wanting to actually buy a Surface. But imagine pressing a switch and seeing your iPad flip open to reveal a two-octave keyboard. The C.24 is working to make that dream a reality.
Needless to say, it’s not a full piano attached to your iPad; that’s a bit too silly even for Kickstarter. No, instead it’s a MIDI keyboard, designed to communicate with your iPad via Bluetooth and CoreMIDI. Fortunately, the standard is an open one, so hackers can mess around with it to their heart’s content.
The design of the keyboard itself is pretty clever as well. First of all, it doesn’t use springs; springs tend to wear out, and they’re not really well suited to the kind of abuse an iPad cover will take over time. Instead, it’s built using anti-polarity magnets. Key presses are tracked via infrared emitters, tracking overall key position.
Along the top is a capacitive ribbon control. The eight “buttons” on the left control the octave you’re on, at least as a factory standard; you can go in and change that any time you feel like. The ones on the right are configured for effects such as pitch bend.
Finally, the C.24 comes with the KEY app, which collects your MIDI data and ships it off to any MIDI-compatible iOS app. One assumes direct compatibility with some apps is coming as the C.24 catches on.
This is of course where you the customer come in: The C.24 is currently on Kickstarter, and the price is actually fairly low as of now: $99 will get you one of the first batch and $149 will get you one of the second. Better hurry, though; these are going quick.
Also why not check out:
- 11 of the Best iPad Mini Keyboards (list)
- 12 of the Coolest iPad Mini Retina Keyboards For Easy Typing 2014 (list)
- 5 Of The Best Logitech iPad Keyboard Cases
- 6 of the Best iPad Covers with Keyboards
- 7 iPad 4 Keyboards 2014 That Make Typing A Breeze (list)
- 8 of the Best iPad Air Folio Keyboard Cases (list)
- Akai SynthStation49 Full-Fledged iPad Keyboard Dock
- Apple iPad Keyboard Dock Review: This Generation’s Typewriter
- ARCHOS Bluetooth Keyboard for iPad
- Belkin iPad Mini Keyboard Case Promises 155-hours of Typing
- Brydge+ iPad Keyboard Review
- ClamCase Converts Your iPad Into A Netbook
- Crux360 Case With Keyboard For The iPad (video)
- Custom Keyboard App For The iPad
- Freedom Input Freedom Pro Bluetooth keyboard for iPad Review
- iPad Type Writer, The Typescreen
- Keycase iPad Folio Gives You A Bluetooth Keyboard On The Go
- Logitech CREATE iPad Keyboard Case Review
- Logitech FabricSkin Keyboard Folio for iPad Air Review
- Logitech FabricSkin Keyboard Folio for iPad Review
- Logitech Fold-Up Keyboard for iPad
- Logitech Keyboard Folio for iPad Review
- Logitech Tablet Keyboard for iPad Review
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover for iPad Air Review
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Folio for iPad Air Review
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Folio for iPad mini Review
- Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard for iPad Air Review
- TextBlade Is The Portable Keyboard Your iPad Has Been Waiting For
- The Logi CREATE Gives Your iPad Pro A Pro Keyboard