Most concept cars are just that: Concepts. They’re cars hand-built to show off at motor shows and to demonstrate new technologies, but mostly that technology turns up in other production cars, while the concepts eventually get sold off to private collectors. But sometimes, a concept will come to market… like BMW’s X4.
SUV Meets Sedan
Similar to the X6, but, as you may have guessed, a slightly scaled down version, we don’t know much about the guts of the X4, but we do know that it’s a “sport activity vehicle”, which is BMW-speak for “body like a sedan, chassis like an SUV.”
It’s actually a lot like the X3; it’s slightly wider and slightly lower, but if you enjoyed the X3, you’ll probably go for the X4. Probably the biggest difference is the fact that this definitely has a hatch in the back, but a longer and flatter one.
Begin the Engine
OK, that pun was terrible, but according to rumor, it seems like you’ll have a lot of power plants to choose from. The two-liter turbo four-cylinder is an obvious choice, and it’ll also likely be available in a V6. This being BMW, and thus run by Germans, who love diesel engines, there will also probably be a diesel option, but as usual, good luck finding one of those in most parts of the country. You’ll have a better chance of getting an Xbox One at launch.
Sport Activity Vehicle
It’s unclear what niche the X4 really fits into, but to be fair, the X6 didn’t really seem like any sort of car Americans would want, and even BMW was a little surprised by how well that did. So expect to see quite a few X4s on the road once it arrives next year. And you might even see a diesel!
Also why not check out:
- 2013 BMW 335i Sedan with Xdrive Review (video)
- 2013 BMW 650i Gran Coupe Review: Bringing 4-Door Sexy Back
- 2013 BMW 750Li Review
- 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 5 Review
- 2014 BMW 435i Review (video)
- 2014 BMW M6 Gran Coupe Released
- BMW 4-Series Coupe Finally Arrives, Pics, Pics and More Pics
- BMW 9-Series Concept Car Draws Inspiration from the Fisker and the 6-Series
- BMW Builds Self-Drifting Car (video)
- BMW EnLighten App Let’s Drivers See Countdown to Traffic Light Changes
- BMW Group and Pininfarina Collaborate To Create BMW Pininfarina Gran Lusso Coupé
- BMW i3 First Drive and Hands On: Finally A Luxury EV That Doesn’t Break the Bank
- BMW i8 Concept Spied Driving (video)
- BMW i8 Revealed
- BMW i8 Video Review
- BMW M Performance Steering Wheel Includes a Built-in Screen and LED Lights (video)
- BMW M4 Coupe 2015 Video Review: What’s Wrong with the Coupe
- BMW M4 Pics Leaked, Official Deets Coming Tonight
- BMW Makes Solar Charging Look Good
- BMW Set To Introduce Electric Mini: E Mini
- BMW Zagato Concept Vehicle Caught on Video (video)
- BMW’s 2015 M3 And M4 Bring The Speed
- BMW’s 30th Anniversary M5 Celebrates With More Power
- BMW’s 4-series Grande Coupé is Official, Unveiling in March (video)
- BMW’s i8 LCD Key FOB Displays Useful Car Info
- BMW’s Vision EfficientDynamics Concept Sraight From I Robot Movie
- BWM ConnectedDrive Connect
- Contactless Payment Shows Up In A BMW Key
- Is this BMW’s New M3?
- The BMW 2 Series Coupe Adds A New Dimension In Dynamics
- The BMW M4 Officially Unveiled And It’s Drool Worthy (pics/videos)
- Watch BMW’s i3 Electric Car Charge from a Home Depot Gas Powered Generator (video)