The search for the best Windows laptop is no easy feat, especially as the focus on portability in the market grows. Windows 10, Chrome OS, Android, and iOS have all contributed to this demand for powerful and portable alternatives to traditional desktop computers. As a result, desktop sales continue to fall while laptop sales begin to rise. Consumers want powerful and portable solutions; gone are the days of a need for monstrous desktop computers.
Due to this fairly new demand in portability, there are many different laptops to choose from. You now have the beauty and elegance of the new Microsoft Surface Book, performance-based options in an ultrabook or dedicated gaming laptop. Some might even appreciate the sheer mobility of a laptop-tablet hybrid over the aforementioned options.
One thing’s for sure: with the rise in mobile-first laptops and advertisers everywhere telling you what to buy, finding the right laptop is overwhelming. With that in mind, we’re here to help you find the right gadget that meets your needs. This guide will show you the best Windows laptop in the market today, all while teaching you how to cut through the fluff and research a laptop that’s perfect for you.
- 1 Best Windows Laptops For 2019
- 2 #1 Pick Dell XPS 13 Windows Laptop
- 3 #2 Pick ASUS Transformer Book Flip Laptop
- 4 #3 Pick Lenovo ThinkPad T450s Windows Laptop
- 5 #4 Pick Microsoft Surface Book
- 6 #5 Pick Inspiron 14 3000 Series Laptop
- 7 What to look for in the Best Windows Laptop
- 8 Mistakes to Avoid
- 9 Most Important Features
Best Windows Laptops For 2019
|Dell XPS 13||ASUS Transformer Book Flip||Lenovo ThinkPad T450s||Microsoft Surface Book||Dell Inspiron 14 3000|
|Display||3200 x 1800||1366 x 768||1920 x 1080||3000 x 2000||1366 x 768|
|Battery Life||N/A||Up to 5 hours||Up to 11 Hours||Up to 12 hours||Up to 10 hours|
|CPU||2.2GHz Intel Core i5-5200||2.4 GHz Intel Core i7-5500U||2.6GHz Intel Core i7||2.4GHz Intel Core i5-6300U||2.1GHz Intel Celeron|
|Storage||230GB SSD||1TB HDD||500GB HDD + 256GB SSD||128GB PCIe 3.0 SSD||500GB HDD|
|Amazon||View on Amazon||View on Amazon||View on Amazon||View on Amazon||View on Amazon|
#1 Pick Dell XPS 13 Windows Laptop
With the Dell XPS 13 you can sit back and relax while this best Windows laptop does all the work. Not only is it slim, powerful, and fast, but it’s one of the smoothest laptos you can get your hands on for under $1000.
Read: Top Chromebooks of 2019
As far as specifications go, the Dell XPS 13 features a 3,200 x 1,800 display, a 2.2GHz Intel processor, and 8GB of RAM. Dell hasn’t said what the battery is rated for, but many have been getting as much as 15 hours out of this machine. It’s a Windows 10-based laptop that won’t leave you hanging.
#2 Pick ASUS Transformer Book Flip Laptop
The ASUS Transformer book Flip is the ultimate touchscreen laptop as far as mid-range specifications and portability goes. Not only is it a laptop, but it also doubles as a tablet, allowing you to travel anywhere with this unit. This specific laptop-tablet hybrid is perfect for those in school or those who need something for work, whether that be general file collaboration or running presentations.
It has a 15-inch HD 1,366 x 768 rotating display, a Intel 1.9GHz CPU, 6GB of RAM, a 500GB hard drive, and is rated for up to about five hours of battery life. It’s perfect for those who don’t need a lot of power, but need that portability. It’s certainly one of the best 2 in 1 laptops out there.
#3 Pick Lenovo ThinkPad T450s Windows Laptop
The Lenovo Thinkpad T450s is perfect for the person seeking a lot of power and a great amount of battery life. This, of course, comes at a higher price, but makes it the optimal best Windows laptop for gaming, work, and general use on travel.
It has a Intel processor at 2.6GHz, 12GB of RAM, a 500GB hard drive, a 256GB SDD, a gorgeous 14-inch 1,920 x 1,080 display, and battery life rated up to a whopping 11 hours.
#4 Pick Microsoft Surface Book
Microsoft’s Surface Book is one of the most expensive Windows-based laptops you can get, but it’s also the smoothest laptop you’ll ever experience. The great thing about the Surface Book is that there are no set specifications. During the purchase, you can choose the amount of hard drive space, RAM, and CPU power to fit your needs, and as a result, the Surface Book can range for as little as $1499 and as much as $3,199.
The Surface Book is an excellent option because it’s ultra portable, as it can detach from the keyboard and double as a tablet. Not only that, but even its most basic specifications make the laptop-tablet hybrid a powerful and beautiful experience that’ll meet your needs for years to come.
#5 Pick Inspiron 14 3000 Series Laptop
The Inspiron 14 3000 Series laptop is the best Windows laptop for completing your basic everyday tasks, whether that be collaborating in documents, sending emails, watching media and so on.
It has an Intel Celeron CPU at 2.1GHz, 4GB of RAM, a 500GB hard drive, a 14-inch 1,366 x 768 display, and a battery rated for up to 10 hours of life.
What to look for in the Best Windows Laptop
Portability: The best Windows 10 laptop should have portability at its center. After all, you want to be able to carry around your laptop to work, meetings, or coffee shops with little hassle and setup.
Battery: In looking for the best Windows laptop, it has to have a long-lasting battery, especially when working on more demanding projects. Having your laptop die on you half way through the day doesn’t do anyone any good. Look for something that lasts up to 4 hours or more.
Speed: Speed is another important factor because you want to be able to complete tasks quickly. You don’t want to wait around while Photoshop or your video games takes five or ten minutes to initialize. You want to be able to get right into work or play with as little waiting as possible! Look for something with plenty of processing power, 8GB of RAM or more, and plenty of hard drive space.
Read: Best Laptops Under $500
Mistakes to Avoid
Buying a new laptop is always an exciting experience, but often we hit the buy button way too soon and end up with buyer’s remorse. As a result, we return it days later or the machine breaks down after only a couple of weeks. Before you get too excited and order your new gadget, there’s a handful of precautions you should take:
Never buy specialty brands, such as Alienware or Razer. You’re buying only for the design, pretty lights, and the prestige of the brand. It’s not very often that you get reliable hardware in these machines. You don’t want to spend $3000 on a new laptop, only to having to replace it a year later.
Avoid cheap Chinese hardware. There are two reasons for this.
Chinese knock-offs are more often than not full of malware and harmful viruses that either have to be removed or sometimes simply make the laptop inoperable.
You never know what to expect when purchasing a Chinese knock-off. Sometimes you won’t even receive it in the mail and essentially get robbed. But at the same time, don’t discount good Chinese companies like Lenovo. Do your research and stay informed on what’s good and what isn’t.
Most Important Features
- The best Windows laptop is able to handle everything you throw at it. A 1.8GHz processor or higher should be able to get you by with plenty of processing room to spare.
- Navigating a laptop should be buttery smooth. With that in mind, pick out a laptop that has 8GB of RAM or more and plenty of hard drive or solid-state space. These two factors contribute heavily to the speed of your experience.
- A laptop shouldn’t be closed off from upgrades. On the contrary, you should be able to swap hard drives and increase RAM for optimal performance over the life of the laptop. Avoid machines that close the unit off like that, as it’s not likely to meet your processing needs a few years down the line.
- An important aspect of the best Windows laptop is battery life. Any good laptop should have a minimum battery life of four hours. Anything less will only hurt performance and your productive hours.
- Charging the best Windows laptop should be fast. Generally, 2 to 4 hours is optimal for a full charge, as you want to be able to take your laptop off the wire and go without much worry.
- A good laptop also has plenty of power options that can alter the power consumption of the laptop. If the laptop ever gets low on battery, you can turn it to low-power mode, potentially getting an extra few hours out of your battery.
- It goes without saying, a laptop needs a good display. At the minimum, a good laptop should have a 1920 x 1080 resolution. Not only does that provide a crisp picture, but it also doesn’t push as many pixels, and thus saves on battery life.
- Search for laptops that have high and low brightness levels. Major battery drain on gadgets are largely due to high brightness levels. That said, a best Windows laptop should have a wide range of brightness levels that can be adjusted for low-power options and for use outdoors.
- Look for a laptop display that has thin bezels. This provides excellent viewing angles when watching any sort of media content and helps in the anti-glare department.
- Portability is important in the search for a laptop. A great laptop should be thin, lightweight, and able to easily carry around in your hand or in a messenger bag. Gone are the days of chunky and heavy laptops.
- Find a laptop that is lightweight. Even some of the highest performing laptops should be less than 4lbs, making them lighter in a messenger or carry-on bag.
- You want to look for a good value-to-price ratio. You can find a laptop that meets high performance qualifications for $900 or less.
- It’s good practice to avoid specialty brands like Alienware. Most of what you’re paying for is the brand and design, not the hardware inside.
- Online stores will often sell great laptops at clearance discounts because they want to get rid of stock. Look out for these deals on websites like NewEgg.com, Woot.com, and even TigerDirect.com, and even Amazon.com.
Which Best Windows Laptop is Right For You
Now that we’ve gone what to look for in the best Windows laptop and even went through some great selections, you should have a well-rounded idea of what the best Windows laptop looks like. We’ve included some excellent selections, but even if you decide to not go with any of them, this guide has equipped you to go out and find the machine that meets your needs. Whether you’re looking for the best Windows 10 laptop, best Windows 8 laptop, or even the best Windows 7 laptop, there’s plenty low-end to high-end machines out there at all different price ranges that are guaranteed to meet your requirements.
In whatever you decide to do, just make sure you don’t overbuy power. After all, you don’t want to pay for what you’re not going to use!