The best washing machine in 2019 should clean your clothes, bedding and everything in between, freeing them of of dirt, grime and stains. In our weeks of research, we found the best washing machine to be the Samsung WF56H9110 (we also rated the best front load washing machines).
The best washing machine should offer a host of cycle and washing options, addressing a variety of scenarios from sheets to clothing to tough stains on furniture covers. And it should save you money and reduce waste of water and energy. Most of the established brands, Bosch, Electrolux, Samsung, Miele, and Whirlpool are working towards this.
Additionally, there is a trend towards alternative washing machine options like the Sputnik Washing machine, Washwow 2.0 Portable Device, and Max wash bucket washing machine. According to Home Water Works, laundry accounts for 15-40% of the water consumption in a 4 person household.
- 1 Top Washing Machine Comparison Chart
- 2 #1 Pick Samsung WF56H9110 Washing Machine – Editor’s Choice/Best Large Capacity Washing Machine
- 3 #2 Pick Kenmore Elite 41072 Washing Machine – Best Budget Washing Machine
- 4 #3 Pick Maytag MHW8100DC Washing Machine – Best Value Washing Machine
- 5 #4 Pick Samsung WA52J8700AP Top Loading Washing Machine – Best Top Loading Washing Machine
- 6 #5 Pick Whirlpool Duet WFL98HEBU Washing Machine – Best Rated Washing Machines
- 7 What to Look for in the Best Washing Machine 2019
- 8 Mistakes to Avoid
- 9 Most Important Washing Machine Features
- 10 Which Best Washing Machine in 2019 Is Right For You?
Top Washing Machine Comparison Chart
|Rank||#1 - Editor's Choice/Best Large Capacity Washing Machine||#2 Pick - Best Budget Washing Machine||#3 Pick - Best Value Washing Machine||#4 Pick - Best Top Loading Washing Machine||#5 Pick - Best Rated Washing Machines|
|Brand||Samsung WF56H9110AG||Kenmore Elite 41072||Maytag MHW8100DC||Samsung WA52J8700AP||Whirlpool Duet WFL98HEBU|
|Tub Volume Capacity||5.6 cu. ft.||5.2 cu. ft.||4.5 cu. ft.||5.2 cu. ft.||4.3 cu. ft.|
|Tub Material||Stainless steel||Stainless steel||Stainless steel||Stainless steel||Stainless steel|
|Automatic Temp Control|
|Extra Rinse Cycle|
|End of Cycle Signal|
|Dimensions||43 x 30 x 33 inches||41 x 29 x 33 inches||39 x 27 x 33 inches||46 x 27 x 29 inches||39 x 27 x 33 inches|
|Stackable with Dryer|
|Avg. Load Time||65 minutes||75 minutes||60 minutes||60 minutes||55 minutes|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
- #1 Editor’s Choice – Samsung WF56H9110 Large Capacity
- #2 Best Budget – Kenmore Elite
- #3 Best Value – Maytag MHW8100DC
- #4 Best Top Loading – Samsung WA52J8700AP
- #5 Best Rated – Whirlpool Duet
#1 Pick Samsung WF56H9110 Washing Machine – Editor’s Choice/Best Large Capacity Washing Machine
Price: $1,439 | Tub Volume: 5.6 cu. ft. | Average Load Time: 65 min.
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: Huge wash tub volume sets this model apart from others.
Washing machines are expensive home appliances, and the Samsung WF56H9110 is no exception, carrying a price tag with four figures. But its 5.6 cubic foot wash tub is among the largest you’re going to find for at home use among front loading units.
Even with such a large tub, this Samsung model compares favorably to the other best front load washers in our reviews in terms of energy and water efficiency. When it comes to operational efficiency, the WF56H9110 does a great job with cleanliness, while operating with minimal noise. It offers all of the extra features that you’d expect to find in a high-priced washing machine, including a Super Speed wash mode (which can complete a load in about 30 minutes), a stainless steel tub, end of cycle signal, automatic temperature control, and an automatic detergent dispenser. And Samsung consistently ranks as a best washing machine brand name.
This well-rated unit is pretty easy to use, offering both a dial and a control panel. If you’re looking for a matching washer/dryer set, Samsung offers a high-quality dryer that pairs with the WF56H9110.
However, keep in mind that this washing machine unit measures 30 inches in width, which is three inches more than a standard unit, meaning it may not fit your available space. This is our editor’s pick for best washing machine 2019, because of its large tub capacity and excellent list of features.
#2 Pick Kenmore Elite 41072 Washing Machine – Best Budget Washing Machine
Price: $999 | Tub Volume: 5.2 cu. ft. | Average Load Time: 75 min.
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: Low price makes this a great value among front loaders.
It can be difficult to find the best washing machine under $1,000, especially a front loading unit, but Kenmore has succeeded in hitting that price point with its Elite 41072.
The washing tub’s 5.2 cubic foot capacity is above average, and it ranks as one of the most energy efficient machines on the market today. It would be nice if the Elite 41072 operated a little faster when washing, but Kenmore models typically do a good job with cleaning performance.
It includes a Stay Fresh feature, where the machine will occasionally tumble the laundry after the cycle is over, preventing a musty smell if you cannot attend to the load for a few hours. A matching dryer is available.
#3 Pick Maytag MHW8100DC Washing Machine – Best Value Washing Machine
Price: $1,449 | Tub Volume: 4.5 cu. ft. | Average Load Time: 60 min.
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: This small front load washing machine is a versatile performer
The Maytag MHW8100DC washing machine offers very good energy and water efficiency, as do most front loading washers.
This model is smaller than many of the best front load washers in the market now, meeting the industry standard for washing machine width at 27 inches and measuring just 39 inches in height. It should fit well in a tight space. Another interesting aspect of this model is its ability to adjust its performance to the hardness of your water, which improves cleaning performance for those with hard water problems.
The MHW8100DC doesn’t quite match the other units in our best 2019 washing machines reviews in terms of capacity, as its stainless steel washing tub is limited to 4.5 cubic feet, meaning this model won’t be able to handle extremely large loads of laundry. However, it is a fast performer and it’s the best small front load washing machine.
#4 Pick Samsung WA52J8700AP Top Loading Washing Machine – Best Top Loading Washing Machine
Price: $849 | Tub Volume: 5.2 cu. ft. | Average Load Time: 60 min.
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: Top load washer includes cool built-in sink for pretreating stains.
Although top loading washing machines aren’t as popular as front loading units, the top loading Samsung WA52J8700AP deserves consideration.
This model’s best feature is its Activewash system, which is an extra piece inside the main lid that can work as a makeshift sink for soaking or pretreating stains. You can run water from a tap built into the machine and just above this makeshift sink, which is a very cool feature.
Beyond the makeshift sink, it offers a stainless steel washing tub, which is great to find in a top loading washing machine. And it’s often available for less than $1,000, meaning you’ll save some money with this unit versus the best front loading washers.
This Samsung model measures 27 inches in width, meaning it’ll fit easily in most laundry rooms, and it’s only 29 inches in depth. The 5.2 cubic foot washing tub is a great size, making this the best top load washing machine.
#5 Pick Whirlpool Duet WFL98HEBU Washing Machine – Best Rated Washing Machines
Price: $1,439 | Tub Volume: 4.3 cu. ft. | Average Load Time: 55 min.
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: Offers wireless control of machine through a smartphone app.
The Whirlpool Duet WFL98HEBU carries a bit of a higher price than some other similar front loading washing machines, but its ability to connect wirelessly to your Smart Home network explains the boost in price.
You can remotely access the WFL98HEBU through a Whirlpool app, telling it to start, or you can use the touchscreen LCD to operate the washer when you’re at home. The app is interesting, as you can check on the progress of a load of laundry, for example, or you could use the app to tell the washer to wait and run its load of laundry at a time when electricity prices are at their lowest.
Beyond the wireless connectivity, the WFL98HEBU offers a lot of nice standard features, including a stainless steel tub and good cleaning performance. If you’re looking for the future of home appliances, the Whirlpool Duet WFL98HEBU fits the bill with its Smart washing technology.
What to Look for in the Best Washing Machine 2019
Tub Capacity: A washing machine’s load capacity is determined in large part by its tub capacity, measured in cubic feet. Having a large washing tub is nearly always preferable to a smaller capacity tub, even if you have to pay a little extra, because you’ll be able to wash more clothes in fewer loads, saving time in the long run. Consider that a tub size of about 4 cubic feet will hold about 20 towels, and units with that tub size were near the top of the list a few years ago. Now though, tub sizes of greater than 5 cubic feet are common.
Energy Efficiency: Most modern washing machines are very energy efficient, using as little water and electricity or natural gas as needed to do the job. As a general rule, front loading washing machines will do a better job with water efficiency than top loading units. You can use the EPA and Department of Energy’s Energy Star rating to find good models in this area, or sources like Consumer Reports will provide energy efficiency ratings for individual washing machines. (Each unit in our list is an Energy Star qualified machine.)
Exact Water Temperature: Purchasing a washing machine that allows you to select from several water temperatures will result in cleaner clothes and better performance from the washing machine. Machines that include an automatic temperature control feature should make use of a temperature regulator, which will mix hot and cold water precisely to achieve the desired temperature.
Mistakes to Avoid
Picking a Noisy Unit: If the washing machine will be in a location in the home where noise will be bothersome, look for a machine that has a reinforced frame and padding and insulation to prevent the vibrations that cause noise. A front load unit should be quieter than a top load unit. Again, you also can check with sources like Consumer Reports, which evaluate individual washing machines for operational noise ratings.
Not Measuring Accurately: Measure your available space carefully, more than once preferably, and then eliminate any machines that won’t fit. Make sure you allow for an inch or two of space between the washer and dryer and at least six inches behind the unit for hoses and venting material.
Most Important Washing Machine Features
- The most common type of washing machine in 2019 is a front load washer, meaning you’ll load clothes through the front door of the machine. Front load washers use less water than other designs, and the spin cycle in these machines are able to remove more water from the laundry before drying. Front load washers are more expensive than top load.
- Some manufacturers offer pedestals for the front load washers, which will lift them higher off the ground, meaning you don’t have to bend over so far to reach inside the door to remove the laundry.
- You’ll load the clothing through a door on the top of the machine. The tub design in a top load washer requires more water to complete the wash. This is a more traditional washing machine design, using an agitator.
Tub Volume Capacity
- Manufacturers measure the volume of the tub in cubic feet, and a larger volume tub can handle more laundry in a single load.
- However, manufacturers all apply a slightly different formula for measuring tub volume capacity, so the measurements might not be applied exactly the same from machine to machine.
- Stainless steel is the best material for tubs, as it’s strong enough to withstand faster spin speeds, which results in lower drying time.
- Plastic and porcelain are other materials used in tub construction, but those materials are primarily used in older machines or low-end models.
Automatic Temp Control
- A washing machine with an automatic temperature control measures the water temperature entering the machine, adjusting the amount of hot and cold water as necessary to meet the current setting.
- Older washing machines may mix hot and cold water in a predetermined proportion, which results in a less exact temperature.
Extra Rinse Cycle
- The extra rinse cycle applies one last rinse of the laundry before the spin cycle. With the low water use in today’s high efficiency washers, some residue may not be dislodged from the clothing with a single rinse, necessitating the extra rinse cycle.
- If your skin is sensitive to detergent, the high-efficiency machine might leave some detergent residue on clothing, again because of the low water usage. The extra rinse cycle can help here.
- With an automatic dispenser system, the machine will release detergent, bleach, or fabric softener at the correct time in the wash cycle.
End of Cycle Signal
- Most newer washing machines provide an end of cycle audible signal, alerting you that the load of laundry is finished. You may be able to set the volume of the signal.
- One of the newest features appearing in washing machines is the ability for the unit to wirelessly connect with your Smart Home network, allowing you to control the washing machine with a smartphone app.
Stackable with Dryer
- When buying a washer/dryer pair, you may have the option of stacking the devices vertically if the washing machine is a front load design.
Load Cycle Average Time
- The load cycle average time is the approximate amount of time the unit requires to complete an average-sized load of laundry at an average setting on the washing machine.
Which Best Washing Machine in 2019 Is Right For You?
While a washing machine may be an appliance you dread having to use, it doesn’t have to be one that you dread having to shop for or buy. Even with so many well rated models on the market, finding the right one to meet your needs can be done with a little preparation on your part. Figure out whether you want a front load or top load unit and then narrow your choices from there. You might receive the best washing machine price if you buy a washer and dryer together. Sticking to the best washing machine brand will help too, as you’ll be sure to end up with a reliable model that will perform.