What are the features that make the best vacuum for cleaning businesses? These heavy-duty cleaning tools give you added motor power, higher dust cup capacity, and plenty of powerful suction to handle any kind of a mess. As such, these are the best vacuum cleaners for professional cleaning companies, and their enhanced performance and advanced features demonstrate that.
Whether you’re just starting a new cleaning business or replacing equipment that has worn out, the top heavy-duty vacuums will give you more lifespan and greater convenience when tackling large cleaning jobs. These models feature options like ergonomic grips and canisters or bags that are easy to empty to make your cleaning more efficient and faster. This is key, especially if you have a pond/pool maintenance business, in which case you’ll need the best pond vacuum.
Read on below to learn more about the best vacuums for cleaning businesses and how you can find the right option for your business needs.
Top Vacuums for Cleaning Businesses
#1 Hoover C2401 Commercial Lightweight Vacuum Cleaner
Award: TOP PICK
WHY WE LIKE IT: It is ideal for users that prioritize quiet operation and a portable design. It includes a wide range of attachments and has a HEPA filter for efficient filtration, which probably makes it a top-rated water filtration vacuum.
- Wide range of attachments
- Lightweight and portable
- Not noisy
- Some may have a problem with how attachments connect to the wand
The Hoover C2401 commercial vacuum cleaner is a lightweight alternative that weighs about 9.2 pounds for easy carrying. It has a decent 6-liter dust capacity and comes with a chiropractor-designed harness that doesn’t put a lot of strain on the wearer. The vacuum cleaner also comes with an accessory kit that consists of a 6-inch crevice tool, an 11-inch turbo floor tool, a 2-inch dusting brush, and a 4-inch upholstery tool. It’s got an extra-long 48-foot cord, as well as a positive lock hose that stays secure during use. However, some users have reported not being impressed with how the attachments connect to its wand.
This quiet vacuum cleaner is nearly noiseless during operation and comes with a hypercone filter made out of HEPA media. This makes it great for vacuuming a wide variety of surfaces, including carpets, wooden floors, laminate floors, bare floors, or even upholstery. It has a push-button controller and does not require any assembly. It has a clear dome lid that allows users to monitor and know when it is ready for emptying, and with a noise output of only 66 dB, it isn’t likely to cause any disruptions during use. The quiet aspect of this model helps when you’re trying to clean your home with other housemates at home, especially if you’re navigating the stairs and need something like the best vacuum for stairs.
#2 ProTeam 107423 Commercial Backpack Vacuum Cleaner
Award: HONORABLE MENTION
WHY WE LIKE IT: Great for wearers who prioritize comfort, and it also doesn’t produce a lot of noise.
- Very quiet operation
- Lightweight and portable
- Harness is easily adjustable
- Not for cleaning wet surfaces
This ProTeam Super Coachvac backpack comes with a 50-foot extension cord for good maneuverability and an easy-to-wear harness that is well padded. The manufacturer claims that the cleaner can clean up to 7,407 sq feet in just an hour, and since it also includes HEPA media in its filtration system, owners will notice a significant increase in air quality after vacuuming. It is ideal for cleaning various surfaces, including hard floors, upholstery, low pile carpets, and lighting, but it is not designed to clean wet surfaces.
Weighing only 11 pounds, the cleaner shouldn’t give anyone a hard time carrying it around, and since its harness is easily adjustable, most will agree that it is pretty comfortable. Its four-level filtration system also eliminates dust mites, dead skin cells, pollen, mold, and bacteria for cleaner air. It also has a safety measure that turns off the motor as soon as there’s a reduction in airflow to prevent overheating, and since it has a noise output of 66 dB, it is not likely to cause a lot of disruption when in use.
#3 Sanitare EUKSC679J Commercial Shake Out Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Award: BEST FOR LONG TERM USE
WHY WE LIKE IT: It works well and doesn’t require any maintenance. It is easy to use and is also lightweight for easy handling.
- Lightweight and portable
- Long cord for easy maneuverability
- Allows for height adjustment to clean carpets with different piles
- No added attachments
The Sanitaire upright vacuum cleaner comes with a bag attachment for collecting debris that has an impressive 18 qt capacity. At 12 pounds, it is also pretty lightweight, and its roller is powered by a 5 amp motor that delivers up to 120 CFM of airflow. To allow for flexible mobility, the vacuum cleaner comes with a 30-foot long cord, and as long as owners make sure to remove accumulated hair on the brush from time to time, it should also work great for picking up pet hair. However, it does not come with any attachments. If you anticipate the long cord on this model might not work best for your workflow, try out the best cordless vacuum for pet hair instead.
Emptying its bag is also pretty easy as all users will have to do is shake it out, and both its belt and roller brush are easy to replace in case of any issues. The cleaner also has a knob that owners can use to adjust based on carpet height, and it also requires relatively little maintenance over long-term use. All owners will have to do is wash out the bag from time to time. Putting it together is also very easy to do, and it also comes with an extra belt if the first one offers problems. If your vacuum ever encounters any other issues like theft or natural disasters, you may still be covered by a warranty or the best renters insurance if you rent a property.
#4 Oreck XL Commercial Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Award: BEST FOR ERGONOMIC DESIGN
WHY WE LIKE IT: It has an ergonomic handle that feels comfortable holding onto and all-around wall bumpers to avoid leaving any contact marks on furniture when cleaning.
- Powerful suction force
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver
- Has bumpers around its head to keep it from leaving marks on furniture
- Some users may question its build quality
The Oreck XL2100RHS is a commercial upright vacuum cleaner that is easy to assemble and comes with a 35-foot power cord that can be wound around its handle for convenience. Its handle is ergonomic, as its on/off switch is placed for easy reach through thumbs. It also offers powerful suction for use on any floor type, and with automatic height adjustment, it’ll be able to adapt to different surfaces quickly. However, previous users have complained about its build quality.
Nonetheless, the cleaner’s low profile design allows users to have it lie flat and get to hard-to-reach places, and with a double helix brush that can spin as fast as 6500RPM, the cleaner remains very efficient to use. It only weighs 9 pounds, so it is very easy to maneuver, and with bumpers placed around its head, it won’t be leaving any contact marks on furniture when cleaning. For another lightweight option that can handle fur, consider the top-rated hand vacuum for pet hair.
#5 Perfect Products C105 Lightweight Portable Vacuum Cleaner
Award: BEST FOR EASY MANEUVERABILITY
WHY WE LIKE IT: It is very easy to move around, and it comes with a wide array of attachments. Suction power is also pretty strong.
- Wide array of attachments
- Long 30-foot cord
- Great suction power
- No rotary head for carpet cleaning
This lightweight vacuum cleaner from Perfect Products is a lightweight alternative that is great for users who prioritize a cleaner that is compact and easy to operate. The C105 weighs less than 10 pounds and comes with a 9-piece tool kit for more convenient cleaning. Users will appreciate the maneuverability that its 30-foot cord affords them, and it also comes with a HEPA filtration system, which is sure to release clean air. Its only issue is the lack of a rotary head for carpet cleaning.
The vacuum cleaner has great suction, and since it comes with a crossbody strap for easy carrying, it is also very portable. It doesn’t produce a lot of noise when in use, and its rear rubber wheels allow for easy movement whenever users do not want to carry it.
#6 Bissel BGU1451T Bagged Lightweight Industrial Vacuum Cleaner
Award: BEST FOR GENERAL CLEANING
WHY WE LIKE IT: It comes with up to five different height adjustment settings for different floor surfaces and is light in weight and easy to maneuver.
- Efficient 3-stage filtration system
- Lightweight and easy to move around
- Easy to assemble
- Previous users have complained about build quality
The Bissel BGU1451T is an industrial upright vacuum cleaner with a wide 13-inch cleaning path and is also pretty lightweight at only 12 pounds. It can be adjusted in up to 5 different positions and has a 10 amp motor that creates a decent suction force. The vacuum cleaner weighs only about 12 pounds, so it is easy to move around, and with a 3 stage filtration system, it is very effective at ridding the air of dirt, pollen dander, and bacteria. With a noise output of only 67 decibels, it is not very noisy. However, some previous users have not felt confident about its build quality.
The vacuum cleaner comes with two bags for added convenience, and it also comes with a stretch hose that can be maneuvered when cleaning. Putting it together is a breeze, and since it comes with a lot of suction power, it is very effective. The vacuum cleaner also offers up to five different levels of height adjustment, and its 30-foot cord allows for convenient movement around the space that is being cleaned.
Beginner’s Guide to Vacuums for Cleaning Businesses
What Are Vacuums for Cleaning Businesses?
A vacuum for cleaning businesses is a professional and heavy-duty cleaning appliance that can easily clean up a large amount of debris across large surface areas. These powerful vacuums can easily tackle messes like human hair, pet hair, stubborn dirt, dry food messes, and dust particles. All in all, heavy-duty vacuums provide more dust cup capacity and more powerful suction than household models.
Vacuums for Cleaning Businesses vs Traditional Vacuums
When it comes to core mechanical functionality, both vacuums for cleaning businesses and traditional vacuum cleaners offer the same essential experience. Once connected to a power source and turned on, both devices generate suction power and pick up debris from the floor. They also offer the same general design and form factor, depending on the exact type of vacuum you purchase.
So, how do heavy-duty vacuums differ from standard vacuums? The main difference comes into play when you consider performance. Professional vacuum cleaners typically offer much more power than their standard counterparts, as well as larger dust cups for more debris capacity.
Vacuums for cleaning businesses also perform better on the floor types found in office settings, which are more durable than surfaces found in homes. Depending on the vacuum your purchase, you may damage delicate hardwood floors or plush carpets with heavy-duty vacuums. If your cleaning business focuses on residential homes, you’ll want to find a vacuum that can clean those types of floors without damaging them.
How Vacuums for Cleaning Businesses Work
Vacuums for cleaning businesses work in the exact same way as traditional alternatives. They use a combination of mechanical components to generate suction power. Specifically, vacuums use an electric motor to power a spinning fan, creating airflow between the vacuum’s intake and exhaust ports.
This airflow creates a pressure drop inside the vacuum’s intake port, which creates a partial vacuum effect to generate suction. Then, as the vacuum passes over the floor, the powerful suction picks up debris, dirt, and dust and deposits them into the vacuum’s dust cup.
Keep in mind that commercial vacuums are equipped with more powerful motors and industrial-strength parts to handle heavy-duty cleaning. The motor must be robust enough to maintain strong suction when cleaning large commercial spaces day after day. Durability and noise level may also be considerations for a business owner. The quieter operation allows cleanings to take place during business hours.
Overall, the mechanics are fundamentally the same, but commercial vacuums are engineered with business needs in mind. The priority is on optimizing suction power, durability, and practicality for frequent use in professional settings.
Do You Really Need a Vacuum for Cleaning Businesses?
Owning a cleaning business can mean all of your tools and equipment will go through heavy use. If you’re looking for a vacuum powerful enough to handle extensive cleaning jobs without breaking down too quickly, these vacuums are for you. With their heavy-duty performance and long-lasting durability, your investment will go a long way.
Is a Vacuum for Cleaning Businesses Worth Buying?
- You Own and Operate a Cleaning Business: One of the top reasons to purchase a professional vacuum cleaner is if you own your own cleaning business. These commercial vacuums can tackle large cleaning jobs of any kind without a problem. They are more powerful than household options, which is good for you since you’ll likely use them every day for long hours at a time. On top of that, these vacuum cleaners also last longer than household models, making them a good investment overall. And, since you’ll be using them frequently, you’ll want to ensure the vacuum has good airflow.
- You Need to Clean Large Floor Plans or Large Messes: Even if you don’t own a cleaning company, you can use these vacuums to clean large floor plans or large messes with more efficiency than standard alternatives, and this includes good pet vacuums. If you have a large space to clean and don’t want to hire anyone to clean it, then a vacuum cleaner for cleaning businesses might be a good option.
- You Want the Longest-Lasting Vacuum for Your Money: If you’ve gone through the motions of repairing or replacing your vacuum every couple of years, you’ll want to consider something longer-lasting. These vacuum cleaners are built to withstand extensive use for longer periods, making them some of the highest-quality options available today. Plus, you won’t need to be buying a vacuum, just hire someone to do it for you.
Why a Vacuum for Cleaning Businesses May Not Be For You
- You Only Need to Clean Small Spaces and Messes: If you’re simply looking for a home vacuum cleaner or only need to clean small spaces, then a professional vacuum cleaner probably isn’t the best fit for you. In fact, these vacuum cleaners are probably overly qualified for your needs, meaning you’ll want to look at a standard option instead.
- You Need to Clean a Specific Type of Flooring: Vacuums for cleaning businesses typically do the best by cleaning floors in high-traffic areas, and they can damage more delicate floors. If there’s only one type of floor you’re trying to clean, we’d recommend purchasing a vacuum made specifically for that purpose. For example, if you need to vacuum concrete floors, we’d recommend buying the best vacuum for concrete floors.
- You’re Looking to Save Some Money: Professional vacuums tend to be much more expensive than household models, which can be tough if you’re on a budget. When you’re looking to save money, we’d recommend something smaller, like the best vacuum for apartments.
How Long Will a Vacuum for Cleaning Businesses Last?
According to professional cleaning companies like Classic Cleaners, you should expect to get anywhere between five and eight years of life out of a standard vacuum cleaner, and this is if you’re regularly servicing a vacuum. After this point, you can expect to face repairs or breakdowns.
However, since vacuums for cleaning businesses are meant for heavy-duty applications and extensive, consistent use, you’ll typically get more lifespan out of them overall. In general, your professional vacuum cleaner should expect upwards of 10 years of life.
How to Choose a Vacuum for Cleaning Businesses
When it comes down to purchasing a new vacuum cleaner for your business, you’ll need to keep a few key considerations in mind. For starters, we recommend considering the types of living or office spaces your clients want you to clean. Then, choose a vacuum that works for those specific environments, especially when it comes to floor type, vacuum power, and dust canister capacity. You’ll also need to consider the vacuum’s form factor when it comes to portability and weight. Like our review of the DeWalt 20V vacuum, which is light and portable.
Best Vacuum for Cleaning Businesses Key Factors to Consider
1. What type of vacuum should you purchase for your cleaning business?
Believe it or not, there are a wide variety of different vacuum types from which to choose. This is especially important to consider when purchasing a new cleaning appliance for your business. The specific vacuum you buy can significantly affect cleaning power and user-friendliness.
Consider the following types of vacuum:
- Upright Vacuums: These vacuums are incredibly common in professional applications thanks to their high suction power and easy maneuverability. Upright vacuums balance on top of the vacuum head. Depending on the model you purchase, they offer plenty of versatility and even affordability.
- Canister Vacuums: These vacuums are less common in professional applications because they aren’t as portable across large spaces. Canister vacuums, which are most often small shop vacs, feature a large canister body that sits on top of wheels on the ground with a vacuum hose coming out of the canister. You hold the hose in your hands as your vacuum, making it easier to reach into tight spaces or other hard-to-reach areas.
- Stick Vacuums: These vacuums offer more portable and lightweight designs. You can purchase either corded stick vacuums for more power or cordless stick vacuums for more portability. Due to its more compact design, a stick vacuum typically doesn’t offer as much dust cup capacity as other options.
- Backpack Vacuums: These vacuums feature a backpack design that houses the internal components, dust cup, and an extendable hose that you hold in your hands. Many commercial cleaning companies use backpack vacuums (like the Milwaukee M18 3-in-1), thanks to their user-friendliness and power. However, a backpack vacuum may not be best for you, depending on the type of properties you clean.
- Handheld Vacuums: These vacuums are the most lightweight and compact of all the other types. However, they also offer less power and dust capacity than the other options. If you need to supplement your cleaning toolkit with a lightweight vacuum to clean smaller spaces, then you can’t go wrong with a handheld vacuum cleaner.
- Robot Vacuums: These vacuums are autonomous cleaning tools that are good for household use. However, they do not make good vacuums for cleaning businesses.
2. How much power should your professional vacuum provide?
When considering the overall power of your commercial vacuum cleaner, you’ll likely want to get a little more specific. Most manufacturers measure vacuum power in CFM, Air Watts, and Water Lift. Let’s take a closer look:
- CFM: This stands for cubic feet per minute, and it refers to the amount of air your vacuum can intake when powered on. It is also known as airflow. The higher CFM your vacuum offers, the more powerful it is.
- Water Lift: This measures the distance in inches your vacuum can lift water when powered on. Of course, you won’t actually be cleaning water with your vacuum in most cases. This is also known as static pressure.
- Air Watts: Many vacuum manufacturers combine the CFM and Water Lift numbers to create the Air Watts measurement. The higher Air Watts your vacuum offers, the more powerful suction it will provide.
3. Do you need a corded vacuum or a cordless vacuum for your business?
More and more vacuum manufacturers are starting to produce cordless vacuum cleaners to compete with the traditional corded models. However, most cleaning companies still prefer corded vacuums over cordless alternatives. This is usually because corded vacuum cleaners offer more power in general, along with potentially infinite run time as long as you have a wall outlet available.
This doesn’t mean that cordless vacuums are out of the question for cleaning companies. The technology is getting better every day, and most cordless vacuums offer similar power levels to corded models.
The only major downside to consider with using a cordless vacuum for your cleaning business is total runtime. Since these models rely on battery power, there will be a point where you need to swap cleaning to either plug the vacuum in or swap out the battery. Limited battery life can hinder your overall efficiency, which is why most professionals still tend to favor corded vacuum cleaners.
4. How much dust cup capacity should your vacuum cleaner feature?
The top vacuum cleaners for businesses are large with a lot of dust cup capacity. This way, you can clean large floor plans and big messes without constantly emptying the vacuum. We recommend purchasing a vacuum with as much capacity as you can get.
In this same line of thought, you’ll need to decide between getting a bagged vacuum or a bagless vacuum. Many professional vacuum cleaners are bagged, but the bagless configuration is becoming very popular in today’s market.
Bagged vacuums require an additional cost to purchase replacement vacuum bags, but they keep dust out of the device’s internal components. This leads to longer lifespans and less maintenance in the long term. Bagless vacuums often give you more dust cup capacity, but you’ll need to clean the dust cup regularly to ensure stray debris doesn’t clog up your vacuum.
5. What kind of vacuum attachments and extra features should you consider?
There is an infinite number of possibilities for the types of messes or areas you need to clean on the job. This is why it’s important to consider purchasing a vacuum with accessories and attachments, which can help you adjust your vacuum’s functionality to fit the situation.
Here are some of the most common vacuum accessories and extra features to consider:
- Crevice tool
- Pet tools
- Upholstery tools
- Brush roll
- Extension wand
- Floor nozzle
- Swivel steering