To find the best standing desk mat we looked for one key factor: thickness. Which is why our #1 pick is the Anti Fatigue Mat from Sky Solutions ($59.97) measuring 0.75 inches in thickness, which is a great size for long-term comfort. When I use a standing mat, I don’t want one that’s 0.5 inches or thinner, as it doesn’t have enough give to provide the same benefits I’m seeking. And typically I don’t like mats that are thicker than 1.25 inches, because they tend to have too much give for my liking.
A high quality standing mat must be built with sturdy materials. We want a mat that has some heft to it, as you can be sure a heavier mat won’t contain cheap layers of foam inside. A high quality mat needs to have an edge that won’t curl or lift from the floor, preventing it from becoming a tripping hazard. The Anti Fatigue Mat definitely meets these criteria.
- 1 Best Standing Desk Mat
- 2 How We Choose the Best Standing Desk Mat
- 3 Why You Should Buy a New Standing Desk Mat
- 4 #1 Pick Sky Solutions Anti Fatigue Mat – Editor’s Choice/Best Anti Fatigue Mat for Standing Desk
- 5 #2 Pick Imprint CumulusPRO Professional Standing Desk Anti-Fatigue Mat – Best Standing Desk Mat
- 6 #3 Pick Topo by Ergodriven – Best Non-Flat Standing Mat Design
- 7 Standing Desk Mat Features to Look Out For
- 8 Mistakes to Avoid
- 9 What Else You Should Think About
Best Standing Desk Mat
|Anti Fatigue Mat||CumulusPRO Professional Standing Desk Anti-Fatigue Mat||Topo|
|Rank||#1 Pick - Editor's Choice/Best Anti Fatigue Mat for Standing Desk||#2 Pick - Best Standing Desk Mat||#3 Pick - Best Non-Flat Standing Mat Design|
|Mat Dimensions||20" x 3"||20" x 30"||26.5" x 29"|
|Other Sizes Available||20x32, 24x70||20x72||None|
|Thickness||3/4 inches||3/4 inches||Variable (up to 2.7 inches)|
|Mat Colors Available||Midnight Black, Dark Maple Brown, Desert Khaki, Indigo Blue, Wine Red||Black, Brown, Cappucino, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Natural||Altostratus Gray, Denim Blue, Mulberry Purple, Obsidian Black|
|Weight||3.6 pounds||5 pounds||7.8 pounds|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
How We Choose the Best Standing Desk Mat
When selecting among mat for standing desk options, the key feature is the sturdiness of the construction of the mats. You don’t want to purchase one of these and end up replacing it after a few months because it wore out, so the mat has to be built to last.
Older mats tend to have an outside layer that consists of what looks like a tough vinyl or rubber, but they also tend to have a cheap foam or gel on the inside, which leads to a failure of the mat after several months of regular usage. A new standing desk mat that’s durable should be a commercial grade material, such as a high quality rubber or polyurethane, both of which will have a little bit of give to them to improve comfort. However, it shouldn’t have so much give that someone wearing shoes with heels leaves deep indentations in the mat; you shouldn’t feel as though you’re sinking into the mat. This high quality material needs to be used in the mat from top to bottom with no layers of cheap materials hiding inside.
Another aspect of a standing desk mat we considered is how easy it is to slide the mat around. You’ll want to remove the mat if you decide to shift to a sitting desk position with a chair for a bit, for example, so being able to move the mat out of the way easily is important. You do NOT want to roll an office chair on top of one of these mats, even for a few minutes, or you’re going to cause damage, unless it’s a mat designed specifically for a chair or standing.
Finally, depending on how often you eat or drink at your desk, look for a standing mat that’s easy to clean. If the mat has deep ridges for grip, you will have a difficult time keeping it clean. Most of these mats should clean easily with a water-dampened cloth, unless they’re made of poor-quality material, where spilled water can stain or damage the surface.
Why You Should Buy a New Standing Desk Mat
A standing desk mat is designed to reduce stress on your legs as you’re working while standing. Working for a few hours while standing on a hard floor can wear out your legs, ankles, and feet. The mat can take some of the pressure off your joints while standing, as the mat will have a softer surface than the floor alone.
As standing desks have grown in popularity in recent years, the mats you can use with them have shown improvement both in construction quality and material. So if you own an older mat, it’s almost certainly a flimsy piece of rubber that cannot match the comfort level of today’s thicker, better constructed mats, meaning an investment in a new mat will help you gain the most enjoyment and health benefits from your standing desk.
You don’t want a mat that feels brittle or that’s so hard you might as well stand on the concrete floor. And commercial grade mats should feel solid and heavy, because they don’t contain cheap layers of foam. So if your current mat is lightweight, a new mat that has some heft to it is better.
The top standing desk mat options on our list all offer long warranties, ranging from 7 years to a lifetime warranty. The warranty protects you against tears in the mat from normal wear. Cheaper mats won’t give you such generous warranties, which is a clue to their lack of high quality construction and design.
#1 Pick Sky Solutions Anti Fatigue Mat – Editor’s Choice/Best Anti Fatigue Mat for Standing Desk
Price: $59.97 | Size: 20×39 inches (also 20×32 and 24×70 inches available) | Thickness: 3/4 inches
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: Commercial grade thickness and high end materials provide comfort.
The Anti Fatigue Mat from Sky Solutions ranks highly on standing desk mat Amazon user lists, receiving high marks in reviews. And it’s easy to understand the popularity of this mat, as it is well-built with a firm material that has just enough give to remain comfortable. The edges are beveled, which allows them to remain tight to the floor, preventing any possibility of tripping. And the price is right, consistently ranking a bit below other high quality standing desk mat options.
If you’re seeking the best anti-fatigue mat for kitchen use, this model’s 24-by-70-inch mat is worth a look. When working in a kitchen, you’re going to need a wider mat than when standing at a work desk where you’re mostly stationary. Having 168 square inches to move around with the large version of this Sky Solutions mat makes it work well for kitchens, but it does cost extra for the larger version ($99.99 on Amazon).
One slight drawback to this Sky Solutions mat is its slightly weaved texture, meaning it’s tougher to clean than mats with smooth surfaces. But if you like working in socks or bare feet, this weaved design gives you more grip.
#2 Pick Imprint CumulusPRO Professional Standing Desk Anti-Fatigue Mat – Best Standing Desk Mat
Price: $99.99 | Size: 20×72 inches (also 20×30 inches available) | Thickness: 3/4 inches
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: High end materials result in a long lasting standing mat.
CumulusPRO mat options have been popular in the market for quite a few years, and our tests show there’s a good reason for that: this family of mats is comfortable to use, has a sturdy build quality, and is reasonably priced. The CumulusPRO Professional Standing Desk Anti-Fatigue Mat from Imprint has a bit more give to it versus other CumulusPRO options and versus the Sky Mat above. I wouldn’t quite call it “squishy,” but some people will prefer this unit to a firm mat with very little give.
One of the standing desk mat staples is finding a unit that’s not going to curl or fray along the edges, which presents a tripping hazard as well as reduces the longevity of the mat. But this CumulusPRO commercial grade anti-fatigue comfort mat includes a beveled edge design that ensures the lip of the mat remains tight to the floor, preventing curling. And its 3/4-inch thickness measurement is just about perfect for long periods of comfortable use.
#3 Pick Topo by Ergodriven – Best Non-Flat Standing Mat Design
Price: $119 | Size: 26.5×29 inches | Thickness: Variable (up to 2.7 inches)
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: Non-flat design encourages user to shift positions throughout day.
The Topo by Ergodriven standing desk mat may look a little strange, but its non-flat design yields a method to the madness. The Topo uses its raised edges and mound in the middle to encourage the user to move his feet around during the day, rather than standing in one spot for any significant length of time. If you feel like standing with your feet crossed or with most of your weight on one leg for example, the Togo can support your stance, making it a surprisingly comfortable mat to use. Some areas of the mat are also softer than others, such as the mound in the middle of the mat.
Now the downside to the Topo standing desk mat is it costs a bit more than some other designs, and it won’t appeal to everyone. Some users prefer the flat design versus possibly tripping over one of the ridges or bumps on the Topo. This mat also isn’t quite as wide as the other two options on our list, so if you’re someone who likes to move from side to side while working, you may step off the edge of the Topo on occasion. And the Topo is as much as 2.7″ thick in some areas, although the primary standing areas on the mat measure closer to 1″.
This is the easiest mat we found for moving. You can slide this mat with your feet back and forth under your desk, while you’ll have to bend over and move most other mat for standing desk units by hand when you need to get them out of the way.
Standing Desk Mat Features to Look Out For
Unfortunately, standing desk mat manufacturers aren’t in the habit of unveiling the exact materials used in their mats. However, here are some of the general materials that you may see:
- Foam / Sponge: A foam backing or an obvious foam layer in the middle of the mat is not desirable, as the mat will wear out quickly.
- Gel: A gel layer inside a standing desk mat indicates a mat that won’t last long. A gel mat is made more for brief use in a kitchen, rather than for several hours of continuous use in an office setting. Gel mats also tend to curl on the edges after you use them for several weeks.
- Polyurethane: This is a great material for a standing desk mat, as it will have a sturdy construction and have just enough give to remain comfortable.
- Rubber: A high-quality, thick rubber that extends through the entirety of the mat creates a high quality mat. However, a thin rubber layer that’s covering another unseen material is a clue as to a poorly constructed mat.
- Vinyl: A vinyl mat also is a lower quality mat, as it nearly always covers another type of material instead.
- Different jobs require different sizes of standing desk mats. If you’re using the mat in an area where you will be moving around a lot, a larger mat will work better. If you primarily will be standing in front of a computer screen, a smaller mat should work well.
- I personally like a standing mat that measures about 0.75 or 1 inch in thickness, as it provides the best mixture of comfort and sturdiness. But the thickness measurement can be a personal preference too, so you may want to try a few mats. Just understand that excessively thick mats may look comfortable, but you’ll tend to sink into them, which can lead to tripping, a feeling of imbalance, or leg fatigue.
- Keep a close eye on how the edges of the mat are designed. The edges must be well constructed to remain tight to the floor so they don’t curl, which provides a clue to a poor mat that won’t last. A beveled edge is the best design for a flat mat.
Mistakes to Avoid
Thin Mats: One clue as to a cheaply made standing desk mat is the thickness. If the mat is less than 0.5 inches in thickness, it probably doesn’t contain high quality materials. And it isn’t going to give you the kind of comfort you want either. It may be tempting to pick a really thin mat because of a low price and because it’s easy to move around, but it’s not worth it for someone who’s truly seeking the best mat.
Spending a Big Amount: Although there are standing mats that cost a couple of hundred dollars, our list of the top units shows that you don’t have to spend that much to receive a long-lasting, well-built mat.
What Else You Should Think About
The best standing desk mat will serve you better when you pair it with a standing desk unit, such as the Duke Adjustable Standing Desk. Although the health benefits of standing versus sitting at your desk are still up for debate, some people certainly find standing to be beneficial from a comfort and ergonomic standpoint. Our list of the best standing desks (click here) gives you the pertinent information you’ll need to know.
If you’re still unsure about using a standing desk, read through our reviews of the best office chairs, such as the best reclining office chair, to find a product that can give you ergonomic benefits. Perhaps simply switching to a better chair design will help you avoid fatigue from working at a desk all day.
And if you’ve decided to give standing desks and mats a try, our top pick of the Anti Fatigue Mat from Sky Solutions will provide high quality build materials, a proven beveled edge design, and a very good price point, making it a great option to pair with a standing desk.
Also why not check out:
- Autonomous Smart Desk 2 Review
- Best Sit Stand Desk
- Best Standing Desk Chairs 2019
- Best Standing Desk 2020
- DIY Standing Desk: Low-Cost Counterweights
- Duke Adjustable Standing Desk Review
- Eureka Standing Desk Converter Review
- Fully Cooper Standing Desk Converter Review
- GAZEDESK Workstation Transforms Any Desk Into A Standing Desk
- Imprint CumulusPRO Standing Desk Mat Review
- Jarvis Bamboo Standing Desk Review
- LifeDesk SmartLegs Turns Any Desk Into A Standing Desk
- LiftPro Standing Desk Adds Inset Phone Docks, Mouspad
- New Study Shows Benefits of Standing Desks vs. Sitting Chairs
- New Study Shows More Standing Benefits for Men Than Women
- Oploft is the Nordic, Mac-Friendly Standing Desk Solution You May Be Waiting For
- Our Best Standing Desk Converter Picks for 2019
- Readydesk Standing Desk: The Quick and Cheap Standing Desk
- SmartDesk 2 Home Office Edition Standing Desk – Smart Choice
- StandDesk Pro Standing Desk Review: A Great Standing Desk But…
- Standing Desks: Health Benefits Not Yet Proven
- Study: Standing At Your Desk Is Good For Your Brain
- The Stand Up Workstation Makes You Healthier And Happier
- UpDesk UpWrite Standing Desk Review
- VariDesk Pro Plus 36 Desk Converter Review
- Varidesk Pro Plus 36 Review Roundup
- VersaDesk Powered Standing Desk Converter: Electric Goodness in a Small Package
- Wanna Run 10 Marathons This Year? Try a StandDesk
- Well Desk Standing Office Desks Keep You Healthy And Boost Productivity
- XenStand Ergonomic Office Desk Review
- YoUP is an Inflatable Standing Desk That’s More Useful Than It Sounds
- Zest Desk Review: A Portable Standing Desk for Hot Desking