To help you get the most power out of your smartphone, we’ve hunted down the best portable phone chargers on the market, running them through their paces to figure out which products will keep you texting and tweeting long after your internal battery would have turned your phone into a useless brick. While choosing units to review, we ruled out dedicated battery cases, which have their place but often have lower charging capacities, not to mention they lack the ability to juice up gadgets besides your smartphone.
Of these seven best portable phone chargers and power banks, the one that juiced our battery the most is the Anker PowerCore 20100 mAh portable battery. This external battery pack is light, weighing in at just 12.5 oz, and can charge your phone up to seven times without the need to seek out a power outlet. Keep reading to learn more about the PowerCore and six other amazing products.
- 1 Top 7 Portable Phone Chargers Compared
- 1.1 #1 Anker PowerCore 20100mAh – Top Pick
- 1.2 #2 Jackery Portable Charger Bar 6000mAh – Honorable Mention/Lightest Weight
- 1.3 #3 INIU Portable Charger 10000mAh – Best Value
- 1.4 #4 Portable Charger Power Bank 24800mAh – Most Juice/Largest Battery
- 1.5 #5 Yoobao Portable Charger 10000mAh Power Bank – Fastest Recharge
- 1.6 #6 GETIHU Portable Charger 10000mAh – Best Warranty
- 1.7 #7 Poweradd 2ND Gen Pilot 2GS 10000mAh Power Bank – Best Budget
- 1.8 How We Decided
- 2 Portable Phone Charger Buying Guide
Top 7 Portable Phone Chargers Compared
#1 Anker PowerCore 20100mAh – Top PickWHY WE LIKE IT: The Anker PowerCore simply has the best suite of features on this list, powering phones and gadgets quickly, featuring a large 20100mAh battery that allows for nearly eight charges on your standard iPhone or Android. The PowerCore is a two amp device, meaning it can reach a full charge in just ten hours, which is great for a battery this large.
Anker’s PowerCore sports a duo of ports on the side, so the larger-than-average battery can charge two gadgets at once. It’s sturdy, feeling solid in your hand, but unobtrusive enough to fit in your pocket. The unit is durable and should survive any accident you throw at it.
Thanks to its PowerIQ and VoltageBoost proprietary technologies, it can charge your phone 20 percent faster than some of the other products on this list. The charger boasts near universal compatibility, charging any device that can connect via USB.
#2 Jackery Portable Charger Bar 6000mAh – Honorable Mention/Lightest WeightWHY WE LIKE IT: This unit has a very appealing size and weight. It’s the size of a candy bar and perhaps even lighter than one. Not only will it fit in your pocket, you’ll barely notice it is there. It’s only 5.5 oz, making it the lightest charger on this list.
Jackery’s device is also no slouch in the power department, juicing up an iPhone, Android or any other smartphone two or three times on a single charge. The aluminum casing is sturdy and drop-resistant, even featuring a built-in flashlight, making this the perfect charger for adventuring outdoors. While not the fastest charger on this list, it’ll certainly get the job done.
#3 INIU Portable Charger 10000mAh – Best ValueWHY WE LIKE IT: This unit offers a great array of features at a very appealing price point. It has a 10000mAh battery, dual-charging stations and near universal compatibility.
INIU’s charger can also juice two devices at once, which is rare for a product at this price point. The 10000mAh battery means it can charge a standard iPhone three times before needing to park at a power outlet. It also uses a proprietary technology to power your gadgets quickly, around 1.4 times faster than equatable products.
The company says the battery will function properly for 500 cycles, which means you’ll be able to charge your phone nearly 1,500 times before seeking out a replacement device, which is slightly above industry standards. The unit also features a longer-than-average standby time, around six months, meaning you can truly pack it and forget it.
#4 Portable Charger Power Bank 24800mAh – Most Juice/Largest BatteryWHY WE LIKE IT: This thing packs a punch. The 24800mAh lithium polymer battery can charge your phone six to eight times before it needs to hit a power outlet. This could last an average user an entire week on a single charge.
The Portable Charger Power Bank is, bar none, the largest battery on this list, and one of the most powerful units on the market. The charger can also power two devices at once, which is always handy. It also features a snazzy LCD display, easily letting you know just how much juice is left. The unit also boasts a suite of technologies that protect against excessive current, overheating, and overcharging.
The power bank comes with a two year warranty and the price is certainly right for a charger with this much battery capacity.
#5 Yoobao Portable Charger 10000mAh Power Bank – Fastest RechargeWHY WE LIKE IT: This is a nice little all-around device, offering a 10000 mAh battery, dual-charging stations and a snazzy form factor for a fantastic price.
Yoobao’s product can recharge itself faster than any other product on this list. Once this unit is fully depleted, it takes just five hours to completely recharge. It also can detect the optimal charging speed of your phone or gadget, matching the top speed accordingly.
This power bank comes with dual charging capabilities, which is rare for a device this light and compact. The aluminum body is fall-resistant and, like others on this list, features an external flashlight for those late night treks into the woods.
#6 GETIHU Portable Charger 10000mAh – Best WarrantyWHY WE LIKE IT: This charger features dual charging stations and the ability to juice your phone nearly three times before requiring a trip to the power outlet. It also boasts a bright, easy-to-read LED display, meaning you can know just how much power you have left even from across the room.
Though GETIHU’s unit is light, just 6.7 oz, it is bulky, making it more appropriate for purses or backpacks than pockets. The product, however, does come with a neat little travel bag, which suited our needs nicely.
The battery life here is also stellar, with the unit requiring more than 500 charges before needing a replacement.
#7 Poweradd 2ND Gen Pilot 2GS 10000mAh Power Bank – Best BudgetWHY WE LIKE IT: This is a no-frills device that is solidly built, small enough to fit in your pocket, while still offering a cool 10000mAh of power. That is suitable for around three full charges of the latest smartphones on the market.
Poweradd’s charger also presents quite a nice form factor, housed in a sturdy metal case that is both fingerprint and scratch resistant. There are also rounded edges, making it as easy to pick up and inspect as your phone.
As far as charge speed goes, the unit itself is zippy, gaining a complete recharge in just five hours, which is in line with the fastest devices on this list. Charging your gadgets, however, will go a bit slower than average, a detriment offset by its low price.
How We Decided
There are so many portable phone chargers on the market, it can seem like a crapshoot when you are shopping for one. During our research, we ruled out older models that used antiquated technologies and focused on long-lasting batteries that powered devices quickly and safely. We also wanted a nice mix of pocket-friendly chargers, sacrificing some battery size, and high capacity units that were a better fit for purses or backpacks.
We didn’t dip below 6000 mAh on this list, which should get you two full charges on a brand new iPhone or Android and more with older smartphones. We also wanted to make sure the warranty was up to snuff, ruling out products that offered up anything less than 18 months. Finally, we took a long look at how many charges these batteries could take before needing a replacement, declining to feature anything under 400.
Portable Phone Charger Buying Guide
The Most Important Features to Consider
As you are researching which charger to buy, consider these features and whether or not the product you are eyeing is up to snuff with industry standards.
- Battery Size and Capacity
This is the age-old query when it comes to batteries, finding the perfect size and capacity to suit your needs. Are you someone just looking to get through the workday, with a moderate amount of usage? Then take a look at the smaller capacity batteries, which will still power your phone up to three times on a single charge, while remaining both pocket and wallet-friendly. For everyday users, 6000 – 10000 mAh would be your best bet. These units are typically small and light enough to insert into your life seamlessly.Are you someone who runs their gadgets through their paces, several times over, without having access to a power outlet? One of the higher capacity batteries may be right for you, something above 20000 mAh, which will allow you to charge your phone up to eight times on a single charge. These units are often much larger, heavier and pricer than their smaller capacity cousins.No matter which you choose, however, gone are the days of dinky 3000mAh, or lower, batteries. You’ll still get multiple charges before needing to power up.
Portable phone chargers now come with a variety of both input and output ports, often allowing multiple devices to charge at once. Many chargers nowadays now come equipped to interact with newer USB-C cords, speeding up charge time considerably. All of the products on this list are compatible with standard USB cords, which adds to their universal appeal.
- Fast Charging
One thing to consider is just how fast you want your device charged. Most companies boast all kinds of proprietary tech that reportedly speed up this process but, ultimately, it boils down to voltage, amperage and wattage. Amperage refers to the current flowing from the battery to the connected device, while voltage is the amount of potential energy that can be sent. Multiplying these two numbers gets you wattage, which is the number you are looking for. The higher the wattage, the faster it’ll charge. Industry-standard is around two hours for a full charge to an iPhone or Android, though some proprietary technologies can speed this process up.There are some laws of physics at work here, but companies can boost wattage by varying voltage or amperage. Of course, your maximum charge speed can be hindered by what cords you are using and the end device itself. Ideally, for the fastest charge, you are looking for a charger, cord and powered gadget that all support the same standard, be that Samsung’s Fast Charging or some other similar tech. With this list, we erred on the side of universal support, bringing us to the question of wireless charging.
- What About Wireless Charging?
You may notice a distinct lack of wireless charging devices on this list. This was a conscious choice, as many gadgets simply do not support Qi wireless charging. In other words, we wanted to eliminate the question of “will this charger support my device.” As long as your gadget can be charged via standard or micro USB, it’ll be supported by the above products. If you are looking for wireless charging, here is a list of the best options out there.
Also why not check out:
- 12 Portable Chargers That Work Both With iPhone and Android Phones (list)
- 3-In-1 Hand-Warming Phone Charger Is Perfect For Traveling This Winter
- 6 of the Best Qi Wireless Chargers
- Ampere is a Smart Wireless Charging Sleeve To Charge Your Smartphones
- AMPY: Power Your Devices With Your Daily Motion
- ARK is a Portable, Battery That Wirelessly Charges Your Phone
- Bolt Battery Backup Charger Will Keep Your Phone On No Matter What Thanks to a Built-in Battery
- Charge Your Smartphone In Just Five Minutes With Zap&Go
- ChargeAll Is A Portable Wall Charger Alternative For All Your Devices
- Chargerito is The Smallest iPhone 6 Charger, Fits on Your Keychain
- Cota Might Finally Make Wireless Power A Reality
- DuPont Wants To Turn Your Countertop Into A Wireless Charger
- Energizer Debuts Universal Wireless Charging System
- Eton BoostTurbine Hand Crankable Battery is Apocalypse Approved
- Fuel + Mobile Rechargeable Battery 9000mAH Review
- GoKey Is A Keychain Sized Portable Charger
- Gomadic High Capacity Rechargeable Battery Review
- Griffin PowerDuo Reserve Review
- HooToo TripMate Is A Portable Charger And A Travel Router As Well
- Hyrdoelectric Power Plant In A Backpack Now For Real
- i.Sound Portable Power Max 16,000 mAH Backup Battery Review
- Kensington Launches USB AAA Battery Charger, The Rechargeable Pocket Booster
- Lightors: USB Rechargeable Batteries You Need In Your Life
- Limefuel Rugged 15,000 mAh Battery Case Can Survive Anything
- Lithiumcard Is A Unique Charger That Can Fit Inside Your Wallet
- Mili Adds Power Miracle & Power Crystal Battery Packs
- Mophie Juice Pack Pro Powerstation Review
- Mophie’s Powerstation XL Packs A Crazy 12,000mAH
- myCharge Peak 6000 Review
- NFTY PL+S Is the Only Smart Charger You’ll Ever Need
- NomadPlus Transforms Your iPhone Wall Plug Into A Portable Charger
- NoPoPo Eco Water-Powered AA Batteries
- Poseidon Portable Charger Is Built Tough
- PowerDock Delivers Fast Wireless Charging
- Powerocks Magicstick Adds Power To Your Phone
- PowerSkin Doubles Battery Life for Android Devices
- SecondWind Disposable Battery Charger
- Smart Wallet Is A Fashion Accessory That Can Act As A Portable Charger
- SolePower Puts A Backup Battery In Your Sneaker
- Sony CPF10LS 10,000 mAh Portable Charger Review
- Star Wars Inspired Darth Vader Lightsaber Portable Battery Charger
- Supercharge Your Devices with the Limefuel Blast Battery Pack (27% Off)
- Technocel PowerPak USB Battery Review
- The Cabin iPhone Charger Shares Apple’s Design Philosophy
- The Dark Energy Reservoir Charges Your Smartphone, Not Your New Age Beliefs
- The Days Of Battery Frustration Are Over With “Instaload” Tech
- The Jump Combines A Power Cable And A Battery In One Device
- The Power Box Pedal Generator Fits In Your Backpack
- The Power Donut Lets You Bring A Power Strip Everywhere You Go
- The Power Pen: Charge Your Phone AND Write
- The ZENS Qi Car Charger Is Cord-Free And Worry-Free
- Titan I portable power source
- Toshiba Dynario: The First Ever Fuel Cell Gadget Charger
- Twist: An ultra-portable universal adapter for your MacBook
- Ultrapak Tour Gets Your Phone Charged Fast
- Upp: Your Own Personal Hydrogen Fuel Cell
- Win a Powerskin Battery Pack for Your Smartphone from GadgetReview
- X-Power1: An iPhone USB Cord With A Built-in Rechargeable Battery
- Xtrememac’s InCharge Mobile Battery Pack Delivers 2300mAh
- Zip Mini Touch-n-go Review
- ZipCharge Battery: 2 Hours Of Juice From A 60 Second Charge