- 1 5. MapMyHike
- 2 6. CoPilot
- 3 7. Sygic
- 4 8. Garmin
- 5 9. MotionX GPS Drive
- 6 10. Apple Maps
We’ve given roads plenty of attention, now it’s time to talk about another kind of navigation app, this one designed for off-road activities. MapMyHike provides GPS tracking for mounting hiking and biking routes (or really, wherever you are). You can also log more than 600 different activities to keep track of everything you are doing, as well as notes about what kind of gear you are using, and share it with the MapMyHike community. You can even import data from smart wearables like Jawnbone, Fibit, Misfit and other devices. It’s one of the best GPS app for iPhone options for outdoor enthusiasts who want to know where everyone else is going and want to go there too.
You can download MapMyHike here for free
CoPilot is a somewhat more trip-oriented app designed for offline navigation in areas where you don’t necessarily have a reliable wireless connection. It offers POIs designed for vacations and exploring, but also allows you to search more casual routes and switch to alternate directions whenever you want. There’s a walking mode for more unfamiliar areas, and the app ties into Yelp, Google and more. It’s an ideal app for exploring areas that you’ve never been to before.
You can download CoPilot GPS here for free
You may remember TomTom GPS systems from back in the day. Sygic doesn’t want all that TomTom information to go to waste. This app uses all the TomTom GPS maps and POIs to offer you route planning information. Don’t worry, maps are still updated as needed, and there are 3D options, voice navigation, speed limit warnings, and lane indicators for moving around in heavy traffic. Yes, there are still TomTom apps available, but this app uses the most valuable content for free, making it one of the best navigation apps for iPhone.
Download Sygic here for free
Garmin is one of the other big names in traditional GPS navigation, so it’s no surprise that they also have their own navigation app on iPhone. This software sports a very realistic roadway map that guides you exactly where you are supposed to go, shows you the speed limit, and gives you an arrival estimate all on the same screen. Voice prompts, integration with Google Local Search, full maps, exit services and more are all available. This is another more professional option, so the cost on this app is also on the high end.
You can get the Garmin USA app here for $49.99
9. MotionX GPS Drive
If you just want a basic app to help you drive your best within your city or town, take a close look at this option. GPS Drive provides life traffic flow maps and updates that show you not only what route to take, but also what traffic activity really looks like. It also offers quite a few social and customization options to provide the exact experience that you want. But there’s a catch to all this great local and live content: You have to pay a subscription fee of $1 per month for the full set of features.
You can download MotionX GPS Drive here for $0.99
10. Apple Maps
Hey, sometimes what you’ve already got is all that you need. The Apple Maps app is perfectly serviceable, and the iOS version works especially well with the larger iPhones. It offers turn-by-turn direction, voice direction, 3D perspectives, real-time traffic information, and all the general bells and whistles of other apps. It’s also compatible with Siri voice commands and provides flyover views of major urban areas.
Your iPhone already comes equipped with Apple maps
Also why not check out:
- 10 of the Best Free iPhone 6 Apps
- 10 of the Best iPhone 6 Jailbreak Apps for Massive Improvements
- 10 of the Best Messenger Apps for International Travel (list)
- 10 of the Best Photo Editing Apps for the iPhone
- 22 of the Best iOS 7 Features You Don’t Want to Miss (list)
- 30 of the Best iOS 5 Features (list)
- 6 Of The Best Twitter Apps for iPhone
- 7 Free iOS Apps to Ignite Your Love Life
- Awareness iPhone App Adds Noise Cancellation To Any Headphones (video)
- Casio’s 2 Inch LCD Screen Sports High Resolution
- Hacked: iPhone Netflix Application
- How To Use iOS 6 “Do Not Disturb” and “Reject a Call with a Message” Features (how to)
- Kids Be Gone iPhone App Deters Teens With High Pitch Noise
- RefurbMe Let’s You Compare The Lowest Prices On Apple Products
- Waze’s “Road Goodies” Makes A Game Of GPS Improvement
- Why Are You So Skanky? 15 Year Old Girl Posts Nude Pic On iPhone App “Beauty Maker”