The best electric scooters for kids all have a few important things in common. They get good range per battery charge, are durable, have a decent speed and most importantly, they are safe. To come up with this buying guide we tested over 25 in all. Then we researched twice that number, pitting them against each other to find out which ones are the best.
Electric scooters are projected to sell about 46 million units in 2019 alone (R). But out of all of those sales, there are only about 10 best brands that consistently make the best vehicles. These are brands like Razor, Gotrax, Tomoloo, Pulse Performance, Glion, Segway, Uberscoot and the costzon electric scooter to name a few. The price range for the best electric scooter for kids is between $100-$700. To determine which were the best, we looked at online user reviews, watched youtube videos to hear what the kids think, we listened to parents, and we put it all together. (This adult had way too much fun during the testing process.)
We looked at safety first and foremost, then our focus was on how enjoyable each scooter was for kids, how it performed, durability, charge time, range and speed. And lastly, we looked at each model from a child’s point of view to determine how they feel about each aspect of their ride.
All of this has led to our top pick. The #1 electric scooter on the market is the TOMOLOO L1″ Wheel Electric Scooter.
- 0.1 #1 TOMOLOO L1 – The best electric scooter for older kids
- 0.2 #2 Super Turbo 1000w Elite Electric Scooter- Most Powerful and Durable Kid’s Scooter
- 0.3 #3 GoTrax GXL Electric Scooter – Best Electric Scooter for The Money
- 0.4 #4 Glion Dolly Electric Scooter – Most Convenient Electric Scooter For Kids
- 0.5 #5 UberScoot 1000w Evo Powerboards Electric Scooter – Editor’s Choice
- 0.6 #6 Razor E300 Electric Scooter – Best Budget Electric Scooter
- 0.7 #7 Razor E100 Electric Scooter
- 0.8 #8 Razor Pocket Mod Miniature Euro Electric Scooter – Best Scooter for Girls
- 0.9 #9 Razor Power Core E90 Electric Scooter – Best Electric Scooter For Beginners
- 0.10 #10Razor E125 Electric Scooter
- 1 Electric Scooters For Kids Buyers Guide
- Range of 18.6 miles
- Lots of style
- Smooth ride
- Charge time of 3-5 hours
This scooter was a ton of fun. The TOMOLOO L1 Electric Scooter is the best for older kids. It has a sleek style that looks like a more grown-up adult electric scooter, with a maximum speed of 15.5 MPH and a range of 18.6 miles per charge. The 8.5-inch Air Filled Tires make for a smooth ride even when the road gets a bit bumpy. The lithium ion battery has a charging time of 3.5 hours, which could be better. It weighs just 28.5 lbs which makes it great not only for kids but also for commuting. It folds easily for storage at home, car trunks, or under subway seats. The frame is nice and durable, made of aerospace-grade aluminum, supporting riders up to 220 pounds. Other features include a 250W motor, which helps it go over inclines as steep as 20 degrees, disc braking and eABS regenerative anti-lock braking system, LCD display, leather-like handles, and an ultra-bright headlight.
We love it because it has style to spare, great portability and great performance. It has all of the right features along with decent speed and range. What’s not to love? Tomoloo has done it again. It feels like a research and development product, it’s so good. But no, it’s available to all. I wouldn’t have them change anything.
|Comparison Chart for Best Hoverboards||OVERVIEW|
|Fast enough for kids||TOMOLOO L1||CHECK PRICE|
|The most powerful and durable||Super Turbo||CHECK PRICE|
|The best electric scooter for the money||GOTRAX GXL||CHECK PRICE|
|The most convenient electric scooter for kids||Glion Dolly||CHECK PRICE|
|One of the greatest choice||UberScoot||CHECK PRICE|
|The best budget electric scooter||Razor E300||CHECK PRICE|
|Another hit from Razor||Razor E100||CHECK PRICE|
|The best electric scooter for girls||Razor Pocket Mod||CHECK PRICE|
|The best electric scooter for beginners||Razor Power Core||CHECK PRICE|
|A great budget scooter||Razor E125||CHECK PRICE|
#2 Super Turbo 1000w Elite Electric Scooter- Most Powerful and Durable Kid’s Scooter
- Powerful 1000 Watt Motor
- 21 mile range
- Maximum speed of 26 MPH
- Weighs 92 lbs.
- Dim headlight
- Doesn’t do well on uneven ground
For kids who want to ride an electric scooter with power and durability, it doesn’t get much better than the Super Turbo 1000w Elite Electric Scooter. It is basically the Hummer of scooters. It sports a powerful 1000watt motor and the manufacturer has upgraded the sprockets and chain drive to heavier versions. It carries up to a 250lb rider and reaches speeds of 26 miles per hour. While some parents might find this scooter too powerful for their kids, the ones that do ride it are loving it. In our testing, this scooter took a lot of abuse with no signs of serious wear. This scooter delivers a great ride thanks to those 10.5″ rubber tires, as long as you are on paved and even ground. Although you can buy an optional hill kit accessory which allows for some improvement when it comes to other riding surfaces. One thing that we didn’t care for is Economy/Turbo Mode. This The Econo Mode will give you more distance, while Turbo Mode gives you more speed. We would have preferred to not have to choose one or the other. However, it doesn’t seem to bother the kids who are riding this model. The battery charging time is 6-8 hours. That might seem long but look at the power and speed that you are getting.
Bigger and older kids are going to love it for its speed, range, and durability. If you thought only kids used scooters, think again.(R)We found those factors to be the most impressive. The weight capacity means that nearly anyone can enjoy this vehicle. We knew it had to be our #2 choice. They need to get that headlight brighter, decrease the weight a bit and give it a bit more power on uneven ground, but despite these things, it’s sweet!
#3 GoTrax GXL Electric Scooter – Best Electric Scooter for The Money
- 15.5 MPH
- Great performance
- Smooth ride
- A bit heavy
- The headlight should be brighter
We love the Gotrax GXL commuting electric scooter. It makes this mode of transport accessible and easy for anyone. This model is the best electric scooter for your money. It has all of the features that you need, none of the features that you don’t and it is easy to use, with plenty of power for the price. The company has made some really spectacular vehicles of late and this may be one of their best. The 8.5″ Pneumatic tires give you a stable and smooth ride. The 250 watt motor provides plenty of power and a top speed of 15.5MPH. It will hold a maximum weight of 220 lbs, while the scooter itself weighs 31 lbs. That might be a bit heavy for some people, but we found it easy to carry around after it is folded up for travel. This model gives you a 12.5 mile range per charge and the battery recharges in about 4 Hours. The front and rear braking systems are very responsive. In fact, the rear brake is one of the best brakes out there. The handlebar seems to be the perfect height for most riders. It’s as good as any of the electric bikes.
The bottom line is that it’s a great value for your money and it’s maintenance free aside from charging the battery. Gotrax builds a nice tough balancing scooter here that pleases fans. It’s a good electric scooter for commuting or play. The only downsides are the weight and the fact that the headlight could be brighter, but honestly, this won’t bother most riders.
#4 Glion Dolly Electric Scooter – Most Convenient Electric Scooter For Kids
- 3.5 hour charge time
- Airless tires
- Self-standing feature
- Not so great on bumpy roads
The Glion Dolly foldable lightweight adult electric Scooter is a popular one among kids and I really enjoyed my time testing it as well. It’s very convenient thanks to a unique foldable design that lets you roll it like a piece of wheeled luggage. Those wheels are designed like military wheels and measure 8″. They are filled with honeycombs. Along with its 6061 Aluminum frame and the fact that it weighs only 28 pounds, we are picking this one for the most convenient electric scooter that you can buy. It’s durable, light and easy to carry. It has a 3.5 hour charge time and will give you a range of 15 miles per charge. Other features include electronic anti-lock brakes, max capacity of 255 lbs, 250W brushless motor, headlight, rear reflector, and pedestrian bell. Glion did a great job making this scooter convenient and easy to ride.
The convenience of use means a lot to your kid, after all, they have to move it and carry it around when the battery runs out. We love this because any child can ride and handle the Glion Dolly Foldable easily without sacrificing some basic features. If they had improved the performance on bumpy roads we would have ranked it higher.
#5 UberScoot 1000w Evo Powerboards Electric Scooter – Editor’s Choice
- Powerful 1000 watt motor
- Great performance
- Maximum speed of 26 MPH
- 10 mile range
- Charging time is 4-8 hours
Uberscoot may not be a name that everyone knows, but judging by this model, that will soon change. The Uberscoot 1000w Electric Scooter is powerful and looks like a bad boy that will win any race. It likely will with its 26 MPH maximum speed, courtesy of a powerful 1000 watt motor. There are only two downsides to this best electric scooter for kids. The battery can take up to 8 hours to charge and it has a maximum range of only 10 miles. This one is all about speed and durability. That’s not a bad thing. Not all riders want distance and 10 miles is a lot for most kids anyway. It’s recommended for kids 12 and older.
We chose this model because we were blown away by the speed and ride in our tests. The 10″ pneumatic tires keep it on the ground for a smooth ride too. Tires that grip are more important than you think, no matter the vehicle (R). There are front and rear disc brakes, a 265 lbs max capacity and a quick release foldable seat. It should be noted that the range can be extended with “Economy Mode”, but this caps the scooter’s acceleration and top speed.
The UberScoot 1000w is a durable performer that competes with other high-end scooter brands, but having to choose between speed and range on this model really harshed our buzz.
#6 Razor E300 Electric Scooter – Best Budget Electric Scooter
- Comfortable ride
- Large tires for great traction
- Very basic
- No battery charge indicator
- Not very stylish
Razor has made so many quality scooters like the Razor ecosmart, Razor rx200 electric, the Razor e200 electric scooter and many more. The Razor E300 electric scooter is perfect for kids of all ages, with speeds up to 15 mph and the battery offers up to 40 minutes of continuous use. Kids who tested this one really appreciated the very large deck so there is plenty of foot room. It also sports a large frame and twist-grip acceleration for easy control. The E300 gives riders a stable ride thanks to large 8″ tires with great traction. The retractable kickstand and hand brake round it all out. The maximum capacity is 220 lbs. so older kids can enjoy this scooter as well. The all steel frame and fork give it a weight of about 40 lbs, which is not bad at all.
This is a pretty basic model, without many of the bells and whistles that its competition has, but very impressive. The focus here is just getting kids moving and having fun. It’s an awesome budget scooter.
#7 Razor E100 Electric Scooter
- Great durability for the cost
- Smooth ride
- Motor cover catches when it turns
- Charging time of 8 hours
The Razor E100 Electric Scooter would have made our “best budget electric scooter for kids”, but a few key faults landed it in our #7 pick. So this is our second pick for a budget scooter. It has a maximum speed of 10 MPH and a kick start, high-torque, chaindriven motor. Other features include twist-grip throttle control, hand operated front brake, and it’s not a heavy scooter at 32 lbs. The battery pack has a long 8 hours until it has a full charge and it will deliver up to 40 minutes of continuous ride time.
Why did we choose the e100 electric scooter? Obviously, you are trading a lot of features for the low price on this one and if that doesn’t bother you or your kid, you’ll still love this model for what it does. For the price, it’s a great entry into the world of electric scooters. And that is what many of you are looking for. Here it is.
#8 Razor Pocket Mod Miniature Euro Electric Scooter – Best Scooter for Girls
- Stylish retro look
- Comfortable seat
- 10 mile range
- Only 45 minutes of run time per charge
- Requires a lot of room to store it
Girls who like to adventure want their own thing. Sometimes that means pink, other times that means some retro style. The Razor Pocket Mod Miniature Euro Electric Scooter is probably the most stylish one they can get. It looks like an electric moped. It’s recommended for ages 8 and up, but there are many smaller kids riding these as well. That’s your call as a parent. This vintage-inspired scooter has about 10 miles of range/40 minutes per charge and that battery takes about 12 hours to fully charge from nothing. You’ll hit max speeds of 15 MPH. It features a chain drive motor as well. With a weight capacity of 170 pounds, teen girls can enjoy it too. The seat is very comfortable and the retractable kickstand means that it can park anywhere. The twist grip acceleration control is easy for kids to use.
Naturally, we love the mod miniature euro electric scooter for it’s style. More importantly, it’s a big hit with the young ladies. The weight capacity, comfort and range hit all of the sweet spots. It would have ranked higher if it had just a bit more run time per charge.
#9 Razor Power Core E90 Electric Scooter – Best Electric Scooter For Beginners
- Long lasting battery
- Weighs only 22 lbs.
- Perfect for beginners
- Not foldable so hard to carry
If your child is just getting to know scooters, this is the best model for them. Period. It’s lightweight, but sadly not foldable, has a tame 10 Mph top speed, hand brakes, a great 80 minutes of use per charge and it takes 6-8 hours to charge it. As you can tell from the specs, this is meant to be an entry-level scooter, not a powerhouse. Since it is so light and easy to use, with a low top speed and an affordable price, beginners are going to love it.
That’s why it passed our rigorous testing to make our #9 pick. It has a kick start, high-torque, hub motor, and front button acceleration control. The max rider weight is 120 pounds, so most young kids will be able to use it.
#10Razor E125 Electric Scooter
- Weighs only 28 lbs.
- 8″ front tire makes the ride smooth
- Plastic back wheel
- Has to get up to 3 MPH manually
Razor keeps knocking them out of the park. The Razor E125 Electric Scooter is another affordable Razor scooter that gets great reviews online. It’s a good scooter for both new riders and young kids who have basic experience. With those kids in mind, this scooter has a maximum speed of just 10 MPH. The maximum range is 10 miles or about 40 minutes on a single charge. The battery will charge in about 8 hours. The ride is smooth thanks to that big 8″ front tire even on bumpy roads. You do have to treat it like a kick scooter to get it going to 3 MPH first before the motor kicks in.
Like Han Solo said, “It may not look like much, but she’s got it where it counts”. The tagline for this one should be, “Just Scoot”. It’s a solid scooter that is used by kids and loved by parents. Versatile as the Nikes on your feet.
Electric Scooters For Kids Buyers Guide
Below are the top features you should look for in a scooter for your kids.
Safety First – UL 2272 Fire Safety Certification
- Safety comes before everything else and should be your number one concern. Look for UL 2272 Certification on any scooter that you buy. A few years back the industry began requiring UL 2272 Certification which makes things like scooters and hoverboards much safer. It means that it has passed all safety tests and is safe for you to ride.
Make Sure That Your Scooter Is Age Appropriate For Your Child.
- It’s a good idea to listen to the manufacturer’s age suggestion. If they recommend a scooter for ages 10 and up they likely have very good reasons for this. Perhaps it’s too powerful for younger kids or too tall etc. Ultimately it’s up to your discretion as a parent, but you should always pay attention to the recommended age rating.
The Correct Tire Size Is Important
- Tire size is an important consideration when it comes to scooters. They come in a variety of sizes. Some are smaller and some are larger. Tire size affects not only the stability of the ride but also where you can go with it and what kind of terrain it will be able to handle. If you are looking to simply sidewalk-surf around the neighborhood, smaller tires will do the trick. If you are looking to do more and go “off-road” you’ll want larger tires that will handle more types of terrain better.
The Ideal Battery life and Charging Times
- Longer battery life is good, but it isn’t everything. For instance, long battery life if useless if your hoverboard only goes 5 MPH. You want to balance a long-lasting battery with good speed, performance and charge time. You want a long battery life in a model that also delivers the speed that you are happy with.
- Charging times are also important. You don’t want to wait 6 hours to charge your battery if it is only going to give you 2 hours of running time and a very low 5-mile range. Again, what you want to look for is a balance that works for you. These days, a 3 to 4 hour charge time is acceptable for lithium ion batteries, balanced against performance, speed and how long that battery lasts while riding.
Make Sure Your Can Go The Distance
- Along with battery life and charge times, the range that your scooter can travel on a single charge is one of the top considerations. Look for the best scooter range that you can get in order to get the most out of your purchase. A great range with short charging times means less waiting around and more rolling down the road. A good range for the best scooters is 9-16 miles.
A Solid Yet Lightweight Construction
- Like any other vehicle, one of your top concerns should be quality construction. You want a tough and rugged frame that will last.
- Along with solid construction, you also want a lightweight unit. A lighter scooter generally means more speed and better battery capacity. It also makes for a smoother ride.
Powerful Motors Matter
- Obviously, the more powerful the motors, the more your scooter can deliver. The bigger the better, but it should be balanced with what your child can handle.