To help find the best electric road bike we have researched a multitude of top bicycles, researching to ensure they maintained a decent top speed and that they featured lithium-ion battery packs that allowed for dozens of miles on a single charge. We also liked ebikes made from durable and long-lasting materials, such as aluminum alloy, and those with additional features like LED headlights and LCD displays. As you shop for the best electric bike, remember to compare different options, depending on what you are looking for.
The best electric road bike that we researched was easily the Trek Domane+ Electric Road Bike. This drop-bar electric road bike features a durable carbon frame, a Bosch motor that can go up to 28 miles per hour, and a removable battery that can travel up to 70 miles on a single charge. Keep reading to learn more about other high-quality ebikes available for purchase.
Top 10 Best Electric Road Bikes
#1 Trek Domane+ Electric Road Bike
Award: TOP PICK
WHY WE LIKE IT: Drop-bar electric road bike with a powerful Bosch Performance Speed motor that can reach speeds up to 28 MPH and a removable battery that can travel up to 70 miles on a single charge. This could very well be the best electric bike in the world.
Read Full Review: Trek Domane+
- Bosch motor can go 28 MPH
- The removable battery can travel 70 miles on a single charge
- Proprietary IsoSpeed shock absorption technology
- Weight limit of 275 pounds
- Smaller-than-average saddle may not suit all consumers
The Trek Domane+ Electric Road Bike is a fantastic ebike with a bevy of unique and high-end features, including a powerful Bosch Performance Speed motor that can reach 28 miles per hour. The removable lithium battery allows for 70 miles of use before needing a recharge and the proprietary IsoSpeed shock absorption technology ensures smooth riding, even over debris. We also loved the hydraulic disc brakes and the integrated Bosch Purion display, which relays useful metrics such as speed and miles traveled.
Though this is a durable electric road bike with a carbon steel frame, the maximum load capacity is just 275 pounds, which may not suit consumers with large frames. Additionally, the saddle is fairly small and may not offer a comfortable sit to everyone, though replacement seats are available. This is the best electric bike for smooth road rides. But seniors can benefit from the services of the best electric trike.
#2 Orbea Gain F35 Electric Road Bike
Award: HONORABLE MENTION
WHY WE LIKE IT: Integrates with a proprietary app for advanced control and features top-notch Shimano MT200 hydraulic disc brakes, for safety, and a powerful battery pack that can get 62 miles of use out of a single charge.
- Integrated app for advanced control
- Shimano MT200 hydraulic disc brakes
- 62 miles on a single charge with range extender available for purchase
- Max speed 20 MPH, though accelerates quickly
- Battery is difficult to remove
The Orbea Gain F35 Electric Road Bike integrates with a nifty proprietary app, which allows for battery and speed adjustments, the transference of GPS data, and more. This is also a safe ebike, thanks to an aluminum alloy construction and the inclusion of Shimano MT200 hydraulic disc brakes. We loved the battery pack, which gets over 60 miles of use out of a single charge and can be coupled with a range extender (sold separately) for even more mileage. The wheels can also be swapped out for something larger if you find yourself wanting to do some off-roading.
Though the max speed here is just 20 miles per hour, this is the best throttle electric bike as it accelerates and reaches that max speed in just a few moments. This ebike has been designed to resemble a traditional bicycle in nearly every aspect, which is great for the deterrence of theft and for aesthetics. However, this retro form factor makes the battery somewhat difficult to remove. However, this is still one of the best bikes we have.
#3 Specialized Creo SL Comp Carbon Evo Electric Road Bike
Award: BEST QUALITY
WHY WE LIKE IT: High-quality ebike with an incredible feature set, including a lithium battery that gets 80 miles of use out of a single charge and an extremely light form factor, clocking in at just 26 pounds.
- Arrives fully built
- Battery gets 80 miles of use on a single charge
- Extremely lightweight, at 26 lb
- Max load capacity 250 lb
- Extremely expensive
The Specialized Creo SL Comp Carbon Evo Electric Road Bike is made from quality components, such as carbon steel, and features a best-in-class lithium-ion battery pack that allows riders to get up to 80 miles of use out of a single charge, in addition to Roval CLX 50 carbon fiber wheels. We also loved the innovative Future Shock damper front suspension system, which offers a smooth and stable ride, and the fact that it arrives fully assembled, so you can get on the road immediately.
The Turbo Creo SL is an extremely light ebike, weighing just 26 pounds, and the rear hub motor drive system can easily reach speeds of 28 miles per hour. This advanced feature set does come with a drawback, however, as this ebike is plenty expensive. Additionally, the recommended maximum load capacity sits at around 250 pounds, which may not suit all consumers. But for trikes that are ideal for everyone and for various purposes, take a look at the top 3 best adult tricycles compared.
#4 Boardman ADV 8.9E Electric Road Bike
Award: BEST BATTERY RECHARGE
WHY WE LIKE IT: Features a removable 250 wh battery that fully recharges in under three hours and offers nearly 60 miles of use from a single charge, with a bevy of useful sensors to help achieve a stable and nuanced pedal assist.
- 60 miles of use from single charge
- Torque, speed, and cadence sensors offer nuanced pedal assist
- Integrated app features speedometer and GPS tracking
- Max speed 15.5 MPH
- Tires perform better on gravel than asphalt
The Boardman ADV 8.9E Electric Road Bike features a removable 250wh battery that can get 60 miles of use out of a single charge. Even better, this battery reaches a maximum charge in under three hours. We loved the torque, speed, and cadence sensors, which work in tandem to provide a smooth and reliable pedal assist when needed. We also found the integrated app to be especially useful, as it boasts a speedometer, GPS tracking, and much more.
This may not be the fastest electric bike, as it can only reach a maximum speed of 15.5 miles per hour, but the electric motor is solidly built and ultra-durable. Also, the 50mm tires that accompany this ebike absolutely excel on gravel but can be somewhat sluggish on asphalt. We recommend getting one of the best bike locks with this, for safety when you park.
#5 Cannondale Synapse Neo SE Electric Road Bike
Award: BEST BRAKES
WHY WE LIKE IT: Comes equipped with SRAM Apex hydraulic disc brakes, which ensure smooth and even stops with minimal risk of injury. This ebike also includes a fantastic battery that gets 85 miles of use out of a single charge.
- Battery gets 85 miles of use from a single charge
- Bosch Active Line motor can exceed 20 MPH
- 11-speed hydraulic shifter can handle most inclines
- No pedals included
- On heavier side, at over 40 lb
The Cannondale Synapse Neo SE Electric Road Bike is equipped with best-in-class SRAM Apex hydraulic disc brakes, which up this ebike’s safety rating considerably. Similar to the best kids mountain bikes. The Bosch Active Line Plus motor is also of extremely high quality, as it can accelerate quickly and reach speeds of up to 20 miles per hour or more. The battery is top-notch, allowing for 85 miles of use out of a single charge, though it does take five or six hours to reach a maximum charge. You may also want to compare this bike with the best electric mountain bikes.
This ebike does not come equipped with a set of pedals, though that is somewhat standard when it comes to high-end bicycles, as it allows professional riders to attach their own pedals that have been fitted to their specifications. Additionally, this electric bike is somewhat heavy for its type, as it clocks in at over 40 pounds. For a more balanced experienced, check out our guide on the best mid drive electric bike.
#6 Giant Road E+1 Pro Electric Road Bike
Award: BEST FOR HILLS
WHY WE LIKE IT: Excels with steep inclines and hills, thanks to the ability to reach 170 rpm cadence and a powerful 80Nm of torque output, with five levels of pedal assist to suit professionals and amateurs alike.
- Centrally mounted LCD display
- 5 levels of pedal assistance
- Tires are puncture-resistant
- Quite heavy, at over 40 lb
The Giant Road E+1 Pro Electric Road Bike can easily ascend steep inclines, such as hills, thanks to a powerful motor with the ability to reach 28 MPH, with 170 RPM cadence and 80Nm of torque output. The five levels of pedal assist also help with climbing. The tires are of exceptional quality, as they are puncture-resistant and offer lower-than-average rolling resistance.
The centrally mounted display is easy to read and offers a suite of useful information, including speed and battery life. The high-grade battery and motor do weigh the bike down, however, as it clocks in at more than 40 pounds. Best sure to check out our list of the best ebike for hills.
#7 Focus Paralane2 Electric Road Bike
Award: BEST COMFORT
WHY WE LIKE IT: Comfort-forward design that successfully reduces fatigue as you ride, with a frame that absorbs force caused by uneven surfaces and flexible tube cross-sections running throughout.
- Light, at 28 lb
- Padded carbon seatpost is durable and comfy
- Shimano disc brakes function excellently even in rain
- Motor only kicks in below 20 MPH
- Battery does not lock into frame, though is removable
The Focus Paralane2 Electric Road Bike is designed from the ground up for comfort and to reduce body fatigue. To that end, it features a padded carbon seatpost that is both durable and comfortable, a shock-absorbing frame, and flexible tube cross-sections running throughout, which helps to reduce muscle fatigue through prolonged use. We loved the included Shimano disc brakes, which do a great job even in wet conditions, and the fact that this ebike is extremely light, clocking in at just 28 pounds.
Though the Fazua motor housed in the bottom bracket shell is of extremely high quality, it is designed to only kick in below 20 miles per hour. You’ll have to go manual above that speed. Additionally, the battery cannot lock into the frame, making it susceptible to theft, though it can be removed. Also, take a look at our best electric hunting bike buying guide list.
#8 Hicient Electric Road Bike
Award: BEST ON A BUDGET
WHY WE LIKE IT: Best electric bike for the money, thanks to a suite of high-end features including a luminous LED headlight and an ultra-durable aluminum alloy frame.
- LED headlight and horn included
- Durable aluminum alloy frame
- 21-speed transmission system
- 17 miles of use on a single charge
- Max speed 18 MPH, though accelerates well
The Hicient Electric Road Bike comes in at a budget-friendly price point while offering features in line with higher-priced competitors, such as an ultra-bright LED headlight and accompanying horn, both of which are great for night riding, and a durable aluminum alloy frame. We also loved the 21-speed transmission system, which ensures a smooth and stable ride even as you traverse difficult terrains.
Though this is one of the best-value electric bikes available for purchase, the maximum speed is just 18 miles per hour, which may be an issue for some consumers. Also, the battery pack only gets 17 miles of use on a single charge, though it does recharge in just a few hours. For those who enjoy the outdoors read our buying guide on the best off road electric bikes.
#9 Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon Electric Road Bike
Award: BEST SUSPENSION
WHY WE LIKE IT: Innovative Kingpin suspension allows for maximum control on pavement, asphalt, dirt, and other surface types, with a thru-axle pivot that absorbs bumps and road vibration.
- 500wh battery gets 79 miles on single charge
- Bosch motor can go 28 MPH
- Quick-release brake caliper mount for changing tires on the fly
- On heavy side, at 40 lb
- Battery takes eight hours to reach maximum charge
The Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon Electric Road Bike features a proprietary Kingpin suspension system that grants the rider maximum control on a variety of surface types, including pavement, asphalt, and dirt. The high-grade Bosch motor system can go up to 28 miles per hour and the 500wh battery can travel up to 79 miles on a single charge. We also loved the quick-release brake caliper mount, which makes changing out tires a fuss-free process.
Though the battery does last a long while and is perfect for lengthy trips, it does take around eight hours to reach a maximum charge, so take that into consideration. Also, this is a heavy ebike, clocking in at around 40 pounds, though it does include a high-grade LED display and a top-notch motor system. For the more casual riders, also consider some of the best electric beach cruiser bikes.
#10 Angotrade Electric Road Bike
We’re sorry, this product is temporarily out of stock
Award: BEST VALUE
WHY WE LIKE IT: Value-friendly ebike with plenty of amazing features, including a Shimano 21-speed gear transmission and a 36V/8AH lithium-ion battery pack that can get around 31 miles of use on a single charge.
- Shimano 21-speed gear transmission
- Battery can get up to 31 miles on single charge
- Folds for easy storage
- Integrated display is on the skimpy side
- Headlight not as bright as some
This Angotrade Electric Road Bike comes in at a value-conscious price but managed to still wow us with the features on offer. This ebike includes a fantastic Shimano 21-speed gear transmission and a decent battery that charges quickly and gets more than 30 miles on a single charge. The motor can hit 22 miles per hour, which is nice, and there are three pedal assist modes. This is also the best folding electric bike that we researched, as it easily shrinks down to a manageable size that can easily fit in the trunk of a car or a closet.
Though there is a display that relays certain metrics, it is on the skimpy side and can be fairly hard to read as you ride. Additionally, the front-facing headlight isn’t quite as bright as we’d like, so you may want to look into a replacement. Be sure to read about our list of the best electric fat bikes.
How We Decided
To help narrow down the above list, we made sure that each and every electric road bike we picked excelled on pavement and asphalt, as they are the common surface types found on roads. We also liked ebikes that could handle a bit of dirt and debris, for the purposes of off-roading, and those with sturdy enough tires to handle sand, snow, and moist conditions.
We liked electric bicycles with powerful motors that offer a wide variety of pedal assist levels, with maximum assist traveling as fast as 28 miles per hour. Battery life and range were also considerations, as we preferred lithium-ion battery packs that could get at least 30 miles of use out of a single charge, with many doubling that figure. Batteries that reached a maximum charge quickly were also favored.
Safety during road cycling was also extremely important as we went about winnowing down the above list. To that end, we picked ebikes that were made from ultra-durable components, such as carbon steel and aluminum alloy, and preferred high-grade hydraulic disc brakes and robust head tubes that allowed for smooth stops even in rainy conditions. Finally, we liked electric road bikes with all manner of extra functionalities, from smartphone integration (Android and iPhone) to robust LCD displays, LED displays, and rear racks.
Best Electric Road Bike Buyer’s Guide
The Most Important Features to Consider
- Motor System
Electric bicycles are intended to be pedaled manually and assisted via powerful motors. And, because e-bikes are so fast, they can be dangerous, which is why you’ll need one of the best electric bike helmets to keep your head protected. Though the same goes for both e-road bikes and traditional bikes–safety first.
- If you have a need for speed versus a regular road bike, be sure to pick a bicycle with a motor that can reach speeds of up to 28 miles per hour.
- On the other hand, if you are just looking to do some light commuting or looking for just an occasional pedal assist, something in the 15 to 20 miles per hour range should suit just fine and give you plenty of power. An electric road bike can help ease your commutes to work and give you more energy during the day aside from a traditional road bike.
- If you wanted to venture away from road riding and try some off-roading at some point on gravel roads for example, consider wider wheels which give you a smooth ride over uneven terrain.
- But, many of the high-end off-road electric bikes are quite powerful, especially as a strong ebike for women.
- Alternatively, you can buy the best ebike conversion kit if you want to convert your own standard bike.
If you find yourself often using the motor to give your calves a much-needed break from pedaling, be sure to pick an ebike with a large lithium-ion battery that can last a long time without needing a recharge.
- Some batteries can go as far as 60 to 80 miles without needing a recharge. A high-capacity battery can be both convenient and a life saver in times of an emergency.
- To that end, look for an internal battery with quick-charge capabilities, so you can get back on the road as fast as possible.
- You may also want to pick a bike with a removable battery, to prevent theft and to allow charging while you are at the office or relaxing at home.
- Also, motors and batteries are generally connected, as the more powerful the motor the less range you’ll get with a battery.
- So, make sure you compare bikes, like the Trek vs Specialized and speed vs torque sensing bikes before buying anything.
- Safety Features
These electric road bikes, or mountain bikes, can go turbo speed, and, as such, safety for bikers should be high on your list of priorities. Moreover, you’ll want to add the best bike rack for electric bikes to complement your ebike.
- Look for ebikes with hydraulic disc brakes or mechanical disc brakes that provide stopping power in all manner of weather conditions. Additionally, most electric road bikes feature LED headlights, for night riding, and many include horns and bells. Bikes with high-quality shocks and suspension systems can also help to reduce accidents, as bumps will be absorbed. Carbon steel frames are also a plus in this department. Unfortunately, you won’t get many safety features with the Electra Townie Go 7D.
- If you plan on transporting your e-bike around different types of public transport, consider folding e-bikes for easier carrying. It’d be even better if you invest in a lightweight bike with a lightweight frame so you don’t have to haul a heavy weight and risk straining yourself.
- Ideally, it’s a good idea to know how much does an electric bike weigh, so you don’t buy a model that’s too heavy for you to use.
- If you’re on the shorter side, an electric street bike with 20-inch wheels will be smaller too for easier transporting. The same goes for regular bikes as well by the way.
- If you plan on treating the road bike as a commuter bike, opt for one with an upright riding position for a more comfortable ride versus one that makes you lean forward.