What are the features that make for the best computer chair for long hours? As you might have already expected, the top features to look for include comfort and ergonomics above all else. If you’re planning on sitting in your office chair for hours at a time, then you need to make sure your chair can support your body in a healthy way.
A close second comes into play when you consider your office chair’s materials. It can get hot sitting in a computer chair for a long period of time, which is why breathable material is a must. Plus, you’ll want to be sure your chair features durable materials that won’t wear out after a few times of sitting in it.
Finally, the best office chair for sitting long hours should be user-friendly and easy to customize. Having a comfortable office chair often means there are tons of settings that can be adjusted. While this customization is important, it can also be overly complicated.
Keep reading to learn more about the best computer chairs for long hours so you can find something that fits your requirements.
Top Computer Chairs for Long Hours
#1 Homall S-Racer Office Chair
Award: TOP PICK
WHY WE LIKE IT: A sturdy chair that features high-density foam to conform to your body shape during extended use, and the armrest feature provides extra comfort. Steel framing ensures you can use it for long periods.
- Incredibly easy to maneuver
- Sturdy steel frame
- Convenient tilt-locking mechanism
- Poor customer support
This Homall S-Racer chair supports your body during strenuous sessions in front of a monitor with practical armrests, headrest, and backrest features. The five-star metal base serves as the foundation, and the caster wheels let you move freely without having to stand up, but if you’re not a fan of wheels, you can still get the most comfortable desk chair without wheels. The high-density foam makes your seating experience more enjoyable, and it also has a reclining function apart from the standard upright position. As a bonus, it’s also covered in wear-resistant leather fabric, which doesn’t irritate most skin types. However, customer support is sub-standard based on numerous user opinions.
This chair is height adjustable with a gas cylinder to accommodate many different people, and promotes a natural body position due to lumbar support and an ergonomic design. Be aware of your body dimensions if you’re looking for an office chair for a short person. It also has a load capacity of 300 lbs and features a full steel frame, making it long-lasting. Equipped with a tilt-locking mechanism to adjust tilt-tension, you can adjust the chair angle to 90, 135, or 180 degrees. This Homall chair is easy to assemble in just a few minutes.
#2 FDW Home Office Chair
Award: HONORABLE MENTION
WHY WE LIKE IT: A sturdy chair with a minimalistic design that matches different body shapes. It features a soft foam cushion and rocking mode to make extended work sessions at desks more enjoyable.
- Super easy to put together
- Wheels allow simple movement
- Breathable material
- Some customer support issues
The FDW office chair has streamlined armrests and a padded seat to make sitting strain-free during long workdays. It features a breathable backrest with an ergonomic shape and is ideal for home office use. This office chair is height adjustable, and its sponge pad matches your profile to keep you comfortable. Additionally, it includes lumbar support to promote a healthy body position. The fabric also allows for optimal air circulation to reduce sweating. However, customer support for this product lacks a professional attitude.
Casters are a practical feature of this sleek chair, providing smooth mobility around your office. And you can also use the 360-degree swivel function for more maneuverability as you work. Use the rocking mode to focus on work or take a break and lean back. With a weight capacity of 250 lbs, this chair won’t bend or break easily. It comes with assembly tools and a user manual, making it simple to put together.
#3 BestOffice Ergonomic Office Chair
Award: BEST FOR OFFICE USE
WHY WE LIKE IT: It offers a soft cushioned structure and a metal frame for long-term use without sacrificing comfort. Armrests complete the design aesthetic while providing functionality. This chair is also easy to set up in 15 minutes.
- Extraordinarily comfortable
- It includes caster wheels
- Covered in high-grade leather
- It’s not durable compared to other models
Including high-quality leather fabric and a resilient five-star metal base, this BestOffice chair offers style and durability. Its base has caster wheels to give you instant mobility as you work. You can swivel the chair in all directions, making it ideal for multitasking in the office. The armrests and a headrest pillow support your neck and spine areas, reducing strain. Lumbar support rounds out the ergonomic design of this chair, promoting a healthy body posture. If you’re looking for a durable chair, other models do offer more though.
Besides office use, this ergonomic chair is convenient for gamers to focus on playing games comfortably. Use the control handle to adjust chair height to your liking. Its gas-lift design enables simple height adjustments. With a maximum capacity of 250 lbs, it doesn’t bend under pressure. This chair includes assembly tools to simplify and speed up the assembly, taking only 10-15 minutes.
#4 AmazonBasics Puresoft 51207 Office Chair
Award: BEST DESIGN
WHY WE LIKE IT: Lumbar support makes this chair a great choice for long shifts at work. It’s also height-adjustable to meet the needs of different users. Upholstered in elegant faux leather, it has a sleek look.
- Super lightweight for mobility
- Faux leather gives it a professional look
- It has a hard-wearing 5-star base
- Doesn’t last long
Pneumatic controls on this AmazonBasics chair let you change the seat height accordingly. The position tilt mechanism gives you more freedom when looking for the perfect position. Supported by a five-point base and casters, you can move easily while working. The bonded faux leather cover transforms this chair aesthetically, giving it a modern touch. It’s an excellent addition to your home office or a remote workplace, but far from a long-lasting chair. .
This resilient chair has a weight capacity of 275 lbs, partly thanks to its heavy-duty metal construction. It includes curved armrests to alleviate pressure on your arms during extended sitting sessions. Lumbar support is a fantastic feature that promotes a healthy body posture while sitting. This chair is BIFMA-certified, meaning it went through multiple tests to ensure safety, sustainability, and performance. The assembly manual is available, simplifying the setup.
#5 GTRACING 099-Black Office Chair
Award: BEST FOR COMFORT
WHY WE LIKE IT: This chair is very flexible due to its adjuster, which offers reclining at a 90-160- degree angle. The artificial leather fabric gives it a special touch to match your decor. The modifiable tilt rock tension ensures comfortable sitting.
- Ridiculously simple to assemble
- It promotes a natural body position
- Smooth caster wheels
- Sub-standard material quality
Whether you require a chair for gaming, office, or schoolwork, the GTRACING model can accommodate your demands. It includes premium black artificial leather and has a solid metal base to add style and resist impacts. The headrest pillow ensures a relaxing experience, and you can remove it if needed. This chair has a five-star foundation with rolling caster wheels to provide ease of movement in your office. However, the material isn’t suitable for long-term use.
You can choose from different chair heights to find the one that matches your body and office desk. Adjusting the chair angle is possible between 90-160 degrees. Design-wise, the chair’s sleek armrests offer comfort, and they’re also adjustable for a custom fit. This chair is a practical choice for avid gamers, using racing as inspiration for the aesthetics. Molded foam cushions reduce the chances of fatigue during long workdays.
#6 Polar Aurora Gaming Office Chair
Award: BEST FOR GAMERS
WHY WE LIKE IT: A sleek chair that features armrests, lumbar support, and a headrest pillow to reduce body strain during sitting. It’s equipped with 5 caster wheels providing silent operation, and upholstered in faux leather.
- Super quick to put together
- Includes wear-resistant faux leather
- It has practical armrests
- Doesn’t promote the best sitting position
Gamers can appreciate this Polar Aurora chair for several reasons; its ergonomic design with headrest, backrest, and lumbar support is only one of them. You can recline it at angles between 90 and 160 degrees, and it has a BIFMA certification, conforming to safety and performance standards. It has a weight capacity of 300 lbs. The manual allows you to put the chair together quickly. However, it does not promote the best sitting position.
The five-star base supports your weight effortlessly, and 5 caster wheels enable quiet operation in the office and give you mobility. You can use it on different floor types such as tile, carpet, or wood. You can also take advantage of the 360-degree swivel function for flexible movement. Faux leather fabric on this chair is skin-friendly and it’s ideal for long-term use with minimal maintenance. It is height-adjustable by using a convenient lifting rod.
What Are Computer Chairs for Long Hours?
In essence, a computer chair for long hours is still a standard office chair like you might see in office furniture stores or at your workplace. It offers all of the trappings of a standard office chair, including a seat, backrest, and base.
Of course, there is also a number of variations when it comes to added features, such as armrests, headrests, and adjustable lumbar support. The different features and functionality you get out of the best office chair for long hours will ultimately depend on the specific model you purchase. For a quick recommendation, check out our Herman Miller Aeron chair review.
Computer Chairs for Long Hours vs. Traditional Office Chairs
At a top-level view, it’s hard to tell the difference between computer chairs for long hours and traditional office chairs. However, as you start to examine the two choices closer, those differences become much more apparent.
One of the first differences you’ll notice is the fact that high-quality chairs for long hours offer much more in the way of proper ergonomics, adjustability, and comfort. They tend to offer more features like armrests and headrests for extra comfort over longer periods of time sitting in the chair.
An ergonomic office chair also tends to offer better back support in the form of an adjustable lumbar pillow or lumbar cushion. You might also notice that these chairs provide padded seat cushions with more breathable materials like a mesh computer chair to keep you comfortable.
How Computer Chairs for Long Hours Work
For their core functionality, computer chairs for long hours work simply by providing a comfortable place to seat. With a seat and adjustable backrest, you’ll be able to sit on the chair and get a basic level of comfort and support while at your desk.
The ergonomics and adjustable features of computer chairs for long hours take a little more work than simply sitting down, though. Each portion of your chair that can be adjusted will typically feature a knob or lever that you can manipulate. After engaging the lever or twisting the knob, you’ll be able to customize that portion of your chair.
This process helps you find the optimal seating position and support for your body size and sitting habits. Another great option would be to get the best chairs for programmers, which are also built to withstand long working hours.
Do You Really Need a Computer Chair for Long Hours?
Owning a comfortable and ergonomic office chair is never a bad idea. However, comfort can mean something completely different for someone who uses their chair for an hour a day versus someone who uses it for eight hours a day.
In the end, if you are always sitting in your office chair, then purchasing a computer chair for long hours is your best bet.
Is a Computer Chair for Long Hours Worth Buying?
- You Work from Home: If you work remotely from your own home, then a comfortable computer chair is an absolute must. Since you’re not around your co-workers, you’re more likely to stay seated instead of walking around.A comfortable office chair in this category can provide you the comfort and ergonomics you need to stay healthy and to keep your body in shape. If you do not work from home then you can benefit from the best conference room chairs that provide you an equal amount of comfort but are not suitable for longer working hours.
- You’re a Gamer: Gamers, especially professional streamers, will often spend 10+ hours in their computer chair. If you’re a gamer, a comfortable chair for gaming can help you stay focused on your game instead of on your discomfort.
- You Suffer from Lower Back Pain: Lower back pain, also sometimes called sciatica, can be incredibly uncomfortable while sitting in an office chair. Fortunately, computer chairs for long hours are built to relieve lower back pain so you can stay seated at your desk for longer. You can also get cushions to place on your chair for more comfort and support. Just be sure to know how to choose the best office chair cushion with back support.
Why a Computer Chair for Long Hours May Not Be For You
- You Don’t Use Your Chair Regularly: If you don’t use your office chair regularly, then there isn’t really a point in purchasing an option that’s meant to be used for hours at a time.
- You’re on a Budget: While you can always find a cheap office chair for long hours, but in general, most products in this category are more expensive than standard office chairs. If you’re on a budget and really need a budget office chair, a computer chair for long hours may not be for you.
How Long Will a Computer Chair for Long Hours Last?
According to recent studies by Baylor University, the best desk chairs for long hours should last you anywhere from seven to eight years. This is because they are built with durable materials, including not just the fabric and cushions, but also the frame and base.
Of course, the overall lifespan of your desk chair can vary greatly depending on the way you treat it. If you drop into the chair from tall heights or constantly spill food and drink on the chair, then it won’t last you nearly as long.
The price you pay for your computer chair also makes a difference in longevity. Affordable or cheap office chairs typically only have a lifespan of around two to three years. More expensive chairs tend to use more high-quality materials, and thus can last upwards of 10 years.
How to Choose the Best Computer Chair for Long Hours
We always recommend taking some time to evaluate your own office seating needs before going as far as pressing the buy button. Take some time to consider your needs so you can direct your research toward the best chairs for you.
Computer Chair for Long Hours Key Factors to Consider
Your answers to the following questions can help you narrow down your choices when it comes to the best office chair for sitting all day. Take some time to read through these questions and remember your answers. They’ll come in handy when you start looking at chairs.
1. What kind of ergonomics do you want and need?
The biggest consideration to make when looking to purchase the most comfortable chair for long hours is ergonomics and comfort level. First, it’s important to understand what makes a chair ergonomic.
An ergonomic chair supports the natural curvature of your spine so as to relieve the tension and stress in the ligaments and muscles in your back. The easiest way to create an ergonomic office chair is to simply create a curved back in the general shape of a spine. You can always buy a lumbar support pillow for additional lumbar support. Also, choosing the best office chair for sciatica will help to alleviate some of your pain while you are having to work for long hours.
However, every human body is different, so adjustable features also play a huge role in ergonomics. At the very least, the best chair for long hours should give you the ability to adjust the lumbar support in the backrest. This way, you can find the right spot for your spine’s individual curve.
Other ergonomic features include things like an adjustable headrest, adjustable armrest like flip-up arms, adjustable seat depth, and adjustable seat height, so if you’re interested in a chair with optimal ergonomics, avoid an armless chair if you’re after the best chair for lower back pain and go for an adjustable office chair or task chair.
2. What body shape and size are you?
Most office chairs can comfortably sit most people, regardless of body type. However, there are a few exceptions to that generalization. For example, if you consider yourself to be in the Tall and Large category, then you’ll need to find an office chair labeled as such or you’re not going to be comfortable.
Take some time to do some general body measurements so you can compare them to each chair’s dimensions. You won’t want to purchase a chair with a seat depth too long for your legs or a seat height too tall for you, unless there’s a seat height or seat depth adjustment that can accommodate your body size. A lot of expensive models will offer size options and increased weight limits for certain models.
3. What style of office chair do you want?
Computer chairs for long hours can come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. This is more of a personal choice, but if you’re going to be sitting in a chair all day, you’ll want to purchase an option that is aesthetically pleasing to you.
In general, you’ll have a wide range of options when it comes to office chairs:
- Standard desk chair: This modern style is what you likely picture when you think about office chairs. It comes in neutral colors – usually black or gray – and doesn’t get too edgy with its ergonomic design. Seat materials usually include fabric or faux leather.
- PC gaming chair: If you’re a gamer, then a PC gaming chair is the best choice for you. These chairs offer a more edgy, sleek design with bright colors to match your style. They still offer all of the adjustable features and ergonomics of other chairs in this category to get you in a comfortable position. PC gaming chairs can also often be customized to match your favorite e-sports team or your favorite Twitch streamer. These chairs should offer a comfortable seat for those extended periods of gaming.
- Executive chair: This style of computer chair usually features a more sleek and sophisticated look. They often sport extra padding on the cushions, padded armrests, flip-up armrests, and leather seat material.
4. What seat materials do you want?
The materials on your office chair are just as important for long-term maximum comfort as the ergonomic features. Let’s take a more in-depth look at the types of seat materials you might see during your research:
- Fabric: This is the most common type of seat fabric. It offers good breathability and durability, although there are other options which are better in both of these regards. Chairs with this material often offer a more affordable price than other office chairs. While these chairs offer a more reasonable price, they can wear out quicker.
- Mesh: The most comfortable office chair for long hours typically offers breathable mesh material for increased breathability and airflow around your body. The breathable mesh material on mesh chairs allows your skin to stay free from sweat throughout the day. Gray and black mesh office chairs are also incredibly durable and easy to clean.
- Faux Leather: Many office chairs feature faux leather seat materials that look and feel like real leather. In general, these are really easy to clean and very comfortable, but they aren’t as breathable as other options.
- Genuine Leather: Executive office chairs will most likely feature some kind of real leather upholstery on their seats and backrests. A leather office chair is incredibly long-lasting, as long as it’s cared for properly, and very easy to clean. An executive office chair also tends to be the most expensive option.
5. What’s your budget?
As mentioned earlier in this guide, the best chair for sitting all day can be one of the most expensive options in the general office chair category, thanks to its advanced ergonomic features. This is why it’s important to set a budget before you start shopping. Great chairs, like the best Haworth office chairs, won’t be cheap but will usually come with extended warranties. Some brands may even have chairs that come with a lifetime warranty or limited lifetime warranty.
You can buy a cheap height adjustable chair in this category, but be aware that budget chairs won’t last you nearly as long as premium options.