We’ve talked about how much we love how durable Chromebooks can be, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t still keep an eye out for the best Chromebook cases for 2018. Some are tough as nails, others stylish as silk, but all of them are good enough to get on our list because they make your Google laptop look good, last longer, and go anywhere you do without having to worry about the weather along the way.
Here’s our picks for the best Chromebook cases of 2018 for the best Chromebooks.
Top Chromebook Cases for 2018
|Gumdrop SoftShell||iPearl mCover||GMYLE Leather Case|
|Size||8.26 inches, 0.78 inches, 11.81 inches||11.88 x 8.6 x 0.98 inches||11.8 x 8.5 x 0.9 inches|
|Weight||12.8 ounces||8 ounces||13 ounces|
#1 Pick Gumdrop SoftShell
Price: $49.95 | Rated: 6′ Drops
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: Can take a beating without breaking a sweat.
The Gumdrop SoftShell Chromebook cases are one of a kind, built for ultimate strength and survivability. Rated to survive drops from heights of up to 6ft, SoftShells are made to take a beating whether you’re hiking in the wild or sprinting across the quad to your next class. There aren’t exactly a ton of color choices to pick from, but when you consider how much raw utility you’ll get out of the SoftShell, black on black stylings seem worth the tradeoff.
#2 Pick iPearl mCover
Price: $19.99 | Weight: 8oz
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: Cheap and reliable, what more could you ask for?
The iPearl mCover lineup of Chromebook cases are one of a kind. Colorful, durable, and not too hard on the wallet, the iPearl is great for any kids in the house who are a little too rough with their laptops, or anyone who wants to stand out at the office. iPearl also features one of the largest lineups of compatible models for their cases, so if you have an older Chromebook that isn’t widely supported anymore, an iPearl case could be the right choice for you.
#3 Pick GMYLE Leather Case
Price: $24.98 | Weight: 13oz
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: The leather option is as classy as it gets.
GMYLE is a staple in the case industry, for everything from tablets to laptops, smartphones and smart watches – if it’s a device you want to protect, GMYLE’s got you covered (pun intended). GMYLE can be a bit more expensive than other options on this list, but the quality of their cases is second to none and you absolutely get what you pay for. Add to this the company’s new “Design Your Case” program which lets you customize your case to exact specifications, and you’ve got a recipe for success.
Key Factors to a Good Chromebook Case
When looking for a Chromebook case, you’ll want to keep an eye on three main factors: the style of the case, how durable it is, and the included features. Some are made for more business applications and come with the leather trim to accentuate that fact, while others are designed from scratch to withstand as much punishment as possible.
The best Chromebook cases combine style and durability into one complete package, and don’t compromise on any other features to get there.
Common Mistakes to Avoid
One of the biggest mistakes that you can make when shopping for a Chromebook case is buying the wrong style for your model of Chromebook. Before you hit the checkout, be certain that the model of the case you’re buying matches the Chromebook you own. These cases are built to exact specifications, and won’t be cross-compatible with two separate models from Samsung and Acer, for example.
Features to Look For
- When buying a case for any kind of device; smartphone, Chromebook, or otherwise, the first thing you should be looking for is its durability rating.
- We buy cases because they protect our devices from damage, and the durability of your case determines how effective it will be in any scenario.
- Pay special attention to what’s known as the “drop rating”. This is generally measured in feet, and will tell you how likely your Chromebook is to survive after dropping from a height of 3 feet, 5 feet, etc.
- The style of your Chromebook case should always match your personality. If you like muted, earthy colors, there are plenty of choices for that, just as there are loud, neon options that speak to the 80’s/90’s kid in all of us.
- This doesn’t just refer to the color of the shell, of course. The style of your case can vary on the application, including “briefcase-esque” cases that are more professional, rubberized shells that are more sporty, and wafer-thin cases that are made for ultimate portability.
- Chromebook cases don’t have many features that set them apart from one another, but the ones they do are important to look for.
- Some cases are waterproof, while others are purely made for aesthetic beauty.
- Ultimately which case is right for you will combine your style with the features you need most.
- Most Chromebook cases won’t push over the $50 mark, but it all depends on the model you go with.
- Don’t spend too much in “case” your case falls and cracks, however you should also be sure not to skimp either so it stays on your laptop as long as possible between replacements.
So Which Chromebook Case is Right For You?
In the end, the Chromebook case that’s right for you is the one that combines all the features you’re looking for, and doesn’t add on anything extra you don’t need.
If you want a simple sleeve that covers your Chromebook while it’s stashed away in your backpack, there are plenty of options for that. If you’re taking your Chromebook on your next rock climbing expedition and need a case that can take a beating without dropping a beat, there are cases for that too. Ultimately, the best case for you is going to be easy to install, look good, and keep your Chromebook alive well into the future.