Do you need the best blender for crushing ice? You know, the one that boasts enough power to produce a pitcher full of margaritas? Or maybe you’re tired of chunky smoothies or icy cocktails that just don’t have the right consistency. If the answer is yes to any of the aforementioned, then you’re probably in the market for an upgrade to your old clunky blender.
So, what is the best blender for crushing ice in 2019? Ultimately, we found that the best ice crusher for smoothies and other ice blender recipes was the ultra-powerful Blendtec Designer 725, an elite model in every sense of the word. With blades tailored for crushing ice, in-depth preprogrammed controls, and a large, versatile container, the Blendtec model is a great fit in modern kitchens and professional environments.
- 1 Best Blenders for Crushing Ice
- 2 How We Choose The Best Blender For Pulverizing Ice into Snow
- 3 Why You Should Buy
- 4 #1 Pick Blendtec Designer 725 – Editor’s Pick/Best Blender for Crushing Ice Cubes
- 5 #2 Pick Vitamix 7500 – Best Personal Blender for Crushing Ice
- 6 #3 Pick Blendtec Total Blender Classic – Best Ice Crusher For Smoothies
- 7 Key Features for a Good Blender for Crushing Ice
- 8 Mistakes to Avoid
- 9 What Else You Should Think About
Best Blenders for Crushing Ice
|Blendtec Designer 725||Vitamix 7500||Blendtec Total Blender Classic|
|Rank||#1 - Editor's Pick/Best Blender for Crushing Ice Cubes||#2 - Best Personal Blender for Crushing Ice||#3 - Best Ice Crusher For Smoothies|
|Full Review||Blendtec Designer 725 Review||Vitamix 7500 Review||Coming Soon|
|Motor||3.8HP, 1,800 Watt||2.2HP,|
|3HP, 1560 Watt|
|Warranty||8 Years||7 Years||8 Years|
|Check Price||Check Price||Check Price|
How We Choose The Best Blender For Pulverizing Ice into Snow
We throw some ice in a blender! No, really, the way to find the best blender for crushing ice cubes is to actually use ice cubes and see how well they blend up. Hands-on testing is one of the most useful ways to pick blenders for specific tasks like ice blender recipes. However, looking at specific features like the type of blade and the power of the motor can also offer valuable clues. That said, we’ve used both of our picks and tested them extensively with ice to see how they perform. Both are able to produce velvety smoothies or all the way to “shave ice” (aka snow cones) like consistency.
Why You Should Buy
Ice is pretty rough on blenders, so first and foremost you’ll want something built tough as nails. Second, many of today’s blenders don’t have the power needed to tear through ice, converting it either into a snow like consistency or breaking it down too little for ice cold beverages. The blenders we picked are bar none the best at converting ice into the size you need it, thanks to their powerful motors, ultra tough jars and super strong blades. The Blendtec 725 makes our top pick thanks to a set of blades that are dull to the touch and it’s pre-programmed options that takes all the thought out of crushing ice.
#1 Pick Blendtec Designer 725 – Editor’s Pick/Best Blender for Crushing Ice Cubes
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: Power, high-tech settings, and size combine for a blender that can handle any smoothie ingredients.
The Blendtect 725 is easily the best rated blender we’ve come across for tough crushing jobs like ice blender recipes. It comes with powerful blades that won’t cut your fingers, one of the strongest blender motors we’ve see, and excellent customization features. You can select various modes for smoothies and other recipes, or carefully control blender speed with a slider – a far more delicate and precise option for variable speeds than most blenders have.
The 64-ounce container for this Blendtec model is both large and durable, so if you’re making iced drinks for a party you won’t have to worry about having enough. Those three-inch blades are also very quick thanks to the 3.8HP motor, so you can watch your ice literally vanish into shavings before your eyes and get the frozen recipes you want in record time.
The only real downside we have to note here is the price, which might be a little high for some consumers. On the other hand, the 725 is perfectly at home in the personal kitchen or a professional setting, so if you are thinking about dabbling in commercial cooking, don’t be afraid to give this model a whirl.
#2 Pick Vitamix 7500 – Best Personal Blender for Crushing Ice
Price: $522.00 | Motor: 2HP, 1500 Watt| | Read Full Review: Vitamix 7500 Blender Review | Warranty: 7 Years up to lifetime
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: Simple controls and plenty of direct power make this blender perfect for people who know what they need.
The Vitamix 7500 is all about “back to basics.” Vitamix focuses primarily on design quality and durability, not on features. That leaves us with a blender that can handle nearly everything, but one that doesn’t have any of the advanced features offered by Blendtec. That’s okay! If you’ve used a lot of blenders in your life, you’re probably already familiar with the pulse switch and variable speed dial – the only controls that the 7500 has. They work well, and that’s what matters.
We’re also huge fans of the extra-sturdy Vitamix container on this model. The pitcher is easy to hold and pour, and doesn’t even blink at holding in that thrashing ice. It’s not quite as friendly toward large recipes or even blending as the Blendtec pitcher, but it holds together effortlessly so you don’t have to worry about spills, and we appreciate that. Cleaning is also super simple (just blend a bit of soapy water), and a tamper wand is included for pushing down bits of escaping ice cubes.
#3 Pick Blendtec Total Blender Classic – Best Ice Crusher For Smoothies
Price: $484.00 | Motor: 3HP, 1560 Watt | Warranty: 8 Year
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: High-tech blending for large groups or more commercial purposes.
This Blendtec model offers an ideal combination of power and high-tech settings that are perfect for those who love blending and customizing their projects to get precise results. The motor is a 3HP, 1560-Watt beast, the blades are powerful but blunted 4-inch components that are perfectly made for turning ice into smoothies, and that square container can hold almost three quarts if you really want to push it. It’s not quite as powerful as the 725, but it has more than enough juice for crushing ice.
But perhaps best of all are the extensive settings. The smooth touch panel is easy to clean and allows you to choose a variety of different settings for particular effects. There’s even an ice-crushing guarantee for the blender, plus pre-programmed cycles and a mode just for making smoothies.
Note: We linked to a really cool Total Blender package that includes multiple containers for you to experiment with – specifically, the Wildside and Twister jars, which are very different sizes for different projects. However, it’s also important to know that this particular package has been discontinued and won’t be around forever, but you can still get the same blender in a simpler package with all the same benefits, minus an extra container to experiment with.
Key Features for a Good Blender for Crushing Ice
- The last thing you want is for your blender to get jammed up or refuse to crush ice down to the particle size that you need for your smoothie or mojito. That means paying close attention to the horsepower and how powerful the motor really is. Of course, horsepower doesn’t tell you everything, but it’s a good metric for looking at just how powerful a blender can be. The average 2HP blender can usual handle anything, but for real ice performance look for more power. The wattage is also a good correlation.
- Strong, durable blades are a must when looking for a great ice blender. Ice can be tough to chomp down on, and blades may wear down more easily if you make a lot of smoothies. Look for blunted blades made from stainless steel, and preferably molded with strong, single-piece components that reduce wear while increasing durability.
- Not all blenders have crushing, smoothie or ice-breaker settings, and not all need to. But if there’s a particular mode or pulse option that’s designed to deal with ice, that’s a big plus – it makes your setting decisions a lot easier, and shows confidence on the part of the manufacturer. Note that most of our top picks have a setting or switch that is noted for its ice-crushing capabilities.
Noise and Performance
- Crushing ice is always going to be loud, and there’s nothing you can do about it. But some blenders are noisier and take much long than others. This is an important consider for families, offices, and other situations where a quieter blender is the better pick. If you have concerns in this area, see if you can test the blender in person or check out YouTube videos to gauge how loud it might be in your house.
- No one likes a blender that churns all the lower-level ice into snow while leaving the top layer of ice just floating there. The large containers that we favor in the list help take care of this problem, but tampers are also a good solution to look for on your next model.
Mistakes to Avoid
Ignoring the Motor
- Don’t assume that every motor handles ice in the same way, or that any motor can cut it. If you get a weak blender, then it’s going to struggle to deal with a pitcher full of ice and it will quickly wear out. Heavy-duty models may save you grief and money in the long run.
Worrying Too Much About Settings
- Yes, an ice setting is nice, but crushing ice is a simple and very visual activity. Don’t worry obsessively about settings affecting your smoothies or other ice recipes – you can usually find a way to make them work.
Going Too Small
- Unless you really like making a lot of icy smoothies just for yourself or an S.O., you, you’ll want to pick a bigger container. Most icy-oriented recipes call for a lot of ice to be used at a party or gathering. You need a pitcher large enough to handle it.
Picking the Sharpest Blades
- Sharp blades are great for certain kinds of slicing…otherwise, you don’t really need them. They will just get dull and damaged trying to deal with all the ice. Instead, pick blunter, stronger blades suited for crushing.
What Else You Should Think About
Look, there’s a lot of great blenders out there. If the prices of our top models are just too much for you, take a look at other popular models like the Ninja Master QB1004 or the Oster BRLY07-B. You shouldn’t feel forced to spend more money than you want!
On the other hand, if you want to collect more information before making a decision, then take a look at our analysis of Blendtex vs. Vitamix to get a closer look. Or if you’re more interested in chopping veggies instead of ice, we’ve also got data on the best blender for green smoothies. And, as always, keep on eye on our news section to learn more about the latest high-tech blenders hitting the market, like the impressive KitchenAid Torrent.