When it comes to finding the best green smoothie blenders: you’ll want something powerful and able to handle even the most fibrous veggies (aka kale) without breaking a sweat – and one that’s preferably easy to clean. You definitely don’t want any annoying leftover lumps, or a blender that won’t last the test of time. That why our top picks only include blenders with enough power to chop through tough fibrous matter like kale, containers that are appropriately steady and strong enough for smoothies, settings and operation that cut down on crafting time, and blades designed for green smoothie ingredients.
After we purchased and received the top 20 best blenders for green smoothies, we put them each through a variety of blending tests with hard-to-blend ingredients, measuring their power, speed and resulting smoothie consistency (the same tests we put our best blenders through). With these features in mind, we found that the Ninja Professional BL610 gave us the best green smoothies. With its powerful 1000-watt motor and extra-large capacity, you’ll be able to enjoy delicious, consistent smoothies in no time. Keep reading to learn about this excellent Ninja blender and the other top picks on our list.
Top 5 Best Blenders for Green Smoothies Compared
#1 Ninja Professional BL610 – Top Pick/Best NinjaWHY WE LIKE IT: Ninja is becoming more and more popular as it continues to build higher-quality blenders for a wider variety of applications. The Ninja Professional BL610 is perfect for making green smoothies with its large capacity pitcher and extra-powerful motor.
One of the best features of the Ninja Professional BL610 blender is its proprietary “Total Crushing” technology, which uses an impressive 1000-watt motor and super sharp blade assembly. This Total Crushing power allows you to blend through anything you put into the blender, whether frozen or not. That’s one of the main reasons this blender is perfect for green smoothies.
Of course with such powerful blending capacity and such a sharp blade assembly, you might be a little intimidated by the Ninja Pro BL610. Worry not, because you also get some pretty handy safety features included in this model. Namely, the blender will not start until both the pitcher and the lid are locked into place. This prevents you from accidentally turning on the blender while you’re hands are in the pitcher. Blending up leafy greens to make healthy and tasty green smoothies can be tough, but the Ninja Professional BL610 can cut through them with ease. Check out the best blenders for under $100 for a budget model.
#2 NutriBullet NBR-1201 – Honorable Mention/Best NutriBulletWHY WE LIKE IT: The NutriBullet has quickly become a staple in the blending industry for its ultra-compact design and fast blending time. These features and more make the NBR-1201 an excellent blender for green smoothies.
For a compact blender, the NutriBullet NBR-1201 sure packs a powerful punch! With a 600-watt motor and tons of different blade options, this blender is versatile and flexible, giving you the opportunity to blend your green smoothies exactly how you like them. But the best part is that after you blend, you can just put a lid on the pitcher and take it with you on your way to work or school. You may also want to check out the best immersion blender.
We were really impressed at how well the NutriBullet did at blending tough greens and frozen fruit in a quick time. This one of the fastest blenders we’ve tested while still giving consistent results. Unfortunately, you’re limited to just one blending speed and mode, but this is typically enough for making green smoothies. If you’re looking for a quick and compact personal blender, the NutriBullet NBR-1201 is the best choice for you.
#3 Hamilton Beach 51131 – Best Budget/Best CompactWHY WE LIKE IT: If you’re on a tight budget, you absolutely cannot beat the value and price the Hamilton Beach 51131 personal blender offers. Plus, it comes in different colors for more personalization.
When you buy a compact personal blender on a budget, you should expect to get a unit that only does one thing, but does it well. That’s what you’re getting with the Hamilton Beach 51131 personal blender. It doesn’t offer the most powerful motor or the largest pitcher capacity, but it blends up green smoothies like a dream. Speaking of great drinks, the best blenders for crushing ice is a must read.
The one-touch controls are easy to use since it’s literally just a single button that you hold while you blend. Sometimes, this Hamilton Beach personal blender struggles with consistency, but that’s only if you’re blending up really tough ingredients and another quick spin usually clears the issue right up. Ultimately, if you’re on a tight budget, you can’t beat the value and functionality that the Hamilton Beach 51131 offers.
#4 Oster Pro 1200 – Best Value/Best WarrantyWHY WE LIKE IT: The Oster Pro 1200 is compact and powerful, able to whip up single-serve green smoothies like nobody’s business. With the most powerful motor on the list, this Oster blender for green smoothies is sure to be a hit.
The Oster Pro 1200 offers the most powerful motor on the list, making it a wonderful choice for blending up the tough ingredients that typically go into green smoothies. This blender works best when making single-serve smoothies because it includes a handy to-go cup that you can use to blend up your smoothie. Once done, simply detach the to-go cup, pop a lid on it and you can take it with you on the go.
You also get plenty of other functions with the Oster Pro 1200, including 7 smart blending modes and super durable Boroclass jar. We wish the blender was self-cleaning, especially after making a green smoothie, but the pitcher and blade assembly are dishwasher safe, which is good. Finally, the Oster Pro gives you the best warranty around. Period. With 10 years of warranty protection, you’ll be able to rest easy while using this blender for a long time to come. Speaking of healthy drinks, check out the best masticating juicer.
#5 Sboly Personal Blender – Best for Frozen FruitWHY WE LIKE IT: Sboly might not be the most recognized brand name in the kitchen appliance industry, but that doesn’t mean it doesn’t make good products. The Sboly personal blender has a powerful 300 watt motor in a compact package that’s perfect for health enthusiasts on the go.
We were surprised to find a compact personal blender with such a powerful motor, but that’s exactly what you get with the Sboly personal blender. Featuring an impressive 300 watts of motor power, this blender can easily blend up frozen fruits and greens for great-tasting green smoothies. Be aware that it doesn’t do well with larger chunks of fruit, so chop items up smaller before blending. Other than that, it can cut through frozen fruit with ease, which is difficult to find in personal blenders.
General operation was really easy with single-button controls and we were pleased that we could just blend and go without problem here. The included pitchers offer 20 ounces of capacity, which is pretty good for a blender of this size, but we were most pleased with the included lids that allow you to drink directly from the pitchers. All in all, if you need a solid and reliable on-the-go blender for green smoothies, the Sboly personal blender is a great pick. For your caffeine needs, read about the best coffee pods.
Key Features for a Good Smoothie Blender
- Heavy-Duty Build: You want to look for a blender with some heft to it: Green smoothies usually start out with tough ingredients, like spinach that may resist shredding or frozen fruit that needs to be quickly liquefied. Weak blenders with more fragile containers are usually not good choices, and won’t give you the consistency that you need. Check out the heavy-duty builds, because they usually make the best smoothies.
- Smoothie Settings: A smoothie setting isn’t required, but if you’re short on time, then it can be a boon. Simple controls means less time learning the blender settings and less time using it when you need to. When possible, let the blender do the work for you.
- Blades: Blades should be tough, made of stainless steel, and as much “one piece” as possible, which improves strength and makes cleaning easier. This includes sealed blades, which means that the container and blade system are essentially one piece – you don’t have to take apart anything to clean the pitcher and blades. This is especially useful when dealing with little bits of vegetables that can get stuck in annoying places. All three of our picks have this sealed blade assembly.
- Tamper: Tampers both speed up the smoothie process and allow you to target those little traps of especially tough vegetable matter that can sometimes get caught. When making a great smoothie, don’t underestimate the importance of these handy accessories.
- Warranty: A warranty is always a nice thing to have, especially if you have a blender accident and don’t want to spend money on a new version. The best blenders have strong multi-year warranties that cover a variety of parts.
- Clean-Up: How easy is the container to clean? Note that our top pick has an ultra-easy cleaning option that allows you blend a bit of water and dish soap, a feature common to many top notch blenders. Again, always make things easy on yourself.
Mistakes to Avoid
- Going Too Large: While large blenders can blast out a smoothie in short order, they aren’t necessarily the best choice for you. If you’re only making one smoothie at a time for yourself, you don’t really need a giant blender to help out. Also, they may not fit under your countertop, so when you can, opt for the smaller containers.
- Underestimating Handling: What do we mean when we say handling? We’re talking about how easy it is to fill the blender, hold it while you blend, and pour the smoothie after you are done. And the controls. The best green smoothie blenders have plentiful holds and handles, as well as liquid tight container cap that doesn’t fly off.
Also why not check out:
- Best Blenders for Crushing Ice for 2019
- Best Immersion Blender
- Best Personal Blenders
- Blender Comparison
- Blendtec Designer 725 Blender Review
- Blendtec Designer 725 Review Roundup
- Blendtec vs Vitamix
- Blendtec’s Stealth Is Most Advanced Blender On Earth
- Bullet Blender Review
- Cleanblend Blender Review
- Juicer vs Blender – The Key Differences
- KitchenAid Torrent is an Upgraded Blender for Serious Kitchens
- Make Delicious Soups and Smoothies With The Philips SoupMaker
- Nutri Ninja Blender BlendMax DUO with Auto-iQ Blender Review
- Nutri Ninja iQ 1500-Watt Blender System Review
- Oster Versa Blender Review Roundup
- Oster Versa Blender Review: Priced Right For Power and Size
- Oster Whips Up A Touchscreen Blender (video)
- Soup3rb Heat Is A Blender That Can Heat And Puree
- The Best Blenders Under $100
- The Vitamix S30 Is Designed For Your Life, Personal Blender Great For Healthy Lifestyles
- Vitamix 7500 Blender Review
- Vitamix 7500 Blender Review Roundup
- What is a Vacuum Blender or Vacuum Blending? Here’s What You Need to Know