Are you a smoothie fan? Do you love getting a quick green smoothie ready from the freshest ingredients to help you power through the day, or recover from a workout? If you know what we’re talking about, then you probably have an idea about the best green smoothie blenders: Something large, powerful, able to handle even the most fibrous veggies (aka kale) without breaking a sweat – and one that’s preferably easy to clean.
You definitely don’t want any annoying leftover lumps, or a blender that won’t last the test of time. That why our top picks only include blenders with enough power to chop through tough fibrous matter like kale, containers that are appropriately steady and strong enough for smoothies, settings and operation that cut down on crafting time, and blades designed for green smoothie ingredients.
And that’s why our number #1 pick for overall green smoothie-making proved to be the Blendtec Designer 725, with its general ease of use, power and excellent track record.
- 1 Best Green Smoothie Blenders
- 2 #1 Pick Blendtec Designer 725 – Most Advanced Blender
- 3 #2 Pick Cleanblend – Most Powerful and Easiest to Use
- 4 #3 Pick Vitamix 5200 – Simplest Green Smoothie Blender
- 5 Blendtec vs. Vitamix
- 6 Key Features for a Good Smoothie Blender
- 7 Mistakes to Avoid
- 8 Which Green Smoothie Blender is Right for You?
Best Green Smoothie Blenders
|Blendtech Designer 725||Cleanblend||Vitamix 5200|
|Rank||#1 - Editor's Choice/|
Most Advanced Blender
|#2 - Most Powerful |
and Easiest to Use
|#3 - Simplest |
Green Smoothie Blender
|Warranty||8 Years||5 Years||7 Years|
|Buy Now||Buy Now||Buy Now|
#1 Pick Blendtec Designer 725 – Most Advanced Blender
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: Power, high-tech settings, and size combine for a blender that can handle any smoothie ingredients.
It’s easy to imagine that Blendtec took a look at the traditional blender design, which has remain unchanged for many decades, and decided that enough was enough. The Designer 725 is for blending fans who want professional features, high-tech settings, and tons of power. There’s nothing that this blender can’t handle, and the BPA-free 5-sided proprietary jar is ideal for quick mixes and pours when making your smoothies. If you never drink smoothies alone, the 725 is the perfect solution to making multiple drinks at once.
In addition to the super-powerful 3.8HP motor, the blender skips the dials and switch, using instead an incredible illuminated touch panel with a 100-speed slider, countdown clock, pulse button, 6 different programmed cycles, and a variety of other modes that you just won’t find in consumer blenders (plus, it’s a lot easier to clean).
The downside to all this blending splendor is, unfortunately, the very high price. When you want a blender that can do everything, you’ll have to pay for it, so it’s no surprise that this is the most expensive blender we’ve ever reviewed. On the plus side, there’s an 8 year warranty so even if something does go wrong, you have a chance at a free fix.
#2 Pick Cleanblend – Most Powerful and Easiest to Use
Price: $200.00 | Motor: 3HP | Warranty: 5-Year
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: Incredibly powerful motor and controls you can use without thinking.
While this model may say it’s a “commercial blender,” don’t let that scare you off. After a massive price drop you can find this Cleanblend for only $200, which opens it up to a lot more kitchens. This model is ultra-powerful at 3HP, made to chew through the toughest roots and seeds with easy. The 64-ounce container includes a tamper to grind ingredients down if necessary. But even with these tough features, we were glad to find such a low price tag on the Cleanblend: This is easily the best inexpensive blender for green smoothies.
When it comes to settings, this model is focused entirely on speed and no-nonsense power-blending. You can easily imagine it in a busy commercial kitchen with big, heavy buttons that allow you to pulse, control variable speed…and that’s it. This blender is for busy chefs who know what they are doing and who have a lot of ingredients to get through quickly. In that way, it’s the ideal blender to flip on after a long run or before rushing off to work, which is why we’re making it one of our top picks. Also, with that much horsepower you really don’t need to be afraid to stick anything in there (except your fingers).
#3 Pick Vitamix 5200 – Simplest Green Smoothie Blender
Price: $495.00 | Motor: 2HP | Warranty: 7-Year Full
WHY IT’S A TOP PICK: Numerical customization and heavy-duty materials make this blender great for smoothies.
With a massive, sturdy base and a 64-ounce container, this heavy-duty blender is up for the most rigorous tasks, especially for those who need to make multiple smoothies in one go. The 3-inch blades on this model are specifically designed to split even the trickiest ingredients, including tiny seeds, so it’s ideal for getting that perfect smoothie texture. It also has a full range of 10 dial settings instead of the common “pulse” settings, which we prefer because it allows for more accurate customization – you may find that your kale shreds better on a 3 setting, but you like to move up to a 4.5 when you add in celery: With this Vitamix, that’s no problem, and its easy to remember.
The blender also comes with a cookbook that features a wide range of smoothies, soups, and other recipes for you to experiment with so you never get tired of one thing. Cleaning is also very simple – you can remove most residue by blending a mix of soapy water, although a brush is handy for tougher bits. The blender also comes with a tamper for compressing or sorting ingredients if necessary.
The one thing to be aware of here is the heavy price tag. Paying close to $500 (we saw some prices as low as $450) is tricky territory for everyone but professional chefs. If you love smoothies and are settled on this model but can’t deal with that price, then wait for a price drop: Some of our other top blenders for green smoothies have benefited from drastic price drops recently.
Blendtec vs. Vitamix
Curious about how our two top brands compare to each other? The biggest difference is the design and controls. Vitamix holds to a very traditional blender design with its controls and round container shape. Blendtec focuses more on an updated panel, and a containers with an additional corner – aka the five-sided Wildside pitcher – which make pouring and ingredient mixing a bit easier.
Key Features for a Good Smoothie Blender
- Heavy-Duty Build: You want too look for a blender with some heft to it: Green smoothies usually start out with tough ingredients, like spinach that may resist shredding or frozen fruit that needs to be quickly liquefied. Weak blenders with more fragile containers are usually not good choices, and won’t give you the consistency that you need. Check out the heavy-duty builds, because they usually make the best smoothies.
- Smoothie Settings: A smoothie setting isn’t required, but if you’re short on time, then it can be a boon. Simple controls means less time learning the blender settings and less time using it when you need to. When possible, let the blender do the work for you.
- Blades: Blades should be tough, made of stainless steel, and as much “one piece” as possible, which improves strength and makes cleaning easier. This includes sealed blades, which means that the container and blade system are essentially one piece – you don’t have to take apart anything to clean the pitcher and blades. This is especially useful when dealing with little bits of vegetables that can get stuck in annoying places. All three of our picks have this sealed blade assembly.
- Tamper: Tampers both speed up the smoothie process and allow you to target those little traps of especially tough vegetable matter that can sometimes get caught. When making a great smoothie, don’t underestimate the importance of these handy accessories.
- Warranty: A warranty is always a nice thing to have, especially if you have a blender accident and don’t want to spend money on a new version. The best blenders have strong multi-year warranties that cover a variety of parts.
- Clean-Up: How easy is the container to clean? Note that our top pick has an ultra-easy cleaning option that allows you blend a bit of water and dish soap, a feature common to many top notch blenders. Again, always make things easy on yourself.
Mistakes to Avoid
- Going Too Large: While large blenders can blast out a smoothie in short order, they aren’t necessarily the best choice for you. If you’re only making one smoothie at a time for yourself, you don’t really need a giant blender to help out. Also, they may not fit under your countertop, so when you can, opt for the smaller containers, unlike the Cleanblend 640z.
- Underestimating Handling: What do we mean when we say handling? We’re talking about how easy it is to fill the blender, hold it while you blend, and pour the smoothie after you are done. And the controls. The best green smoothie blenders have plentiful holds and handles, as well as liquid tight container cap that doesn’t fly off.
Which Green Smoothie Blender is Right for You?
All of our top picks make for good smoothie choices, so don’t worry too much about finding just the right one. The big difference, of course, is price: Our top model is great for customization and durability, but you will have to pay a lot more for it. This is likely to be the primary deal breaker for many buyers. Otherwise, if you like the idea of a smoothie setting and a blender that has a little of everything, it’s very hard to go wrong with the highly professional Blendtec model. If you want a more professional vendor and don’t need any smoothie settings to help you out, then the Cleanblend is the powerful model you’ve been waiting for.