The iMac is, despite no longer being the belle of the Apple product ball, still around, still selling, and still getting some attention, albeit less than its flashier, smaller cousins, or the new trashcan on the block. But at least it’s still getting updated. Here’s what Apple has tucked in those aluminum casings.
Faster, Better, Smarter
Cutting through the usual blather about graphics, because let’s face it most of us aren’t buying iMacs for their blazing gaming speed, there’s a pretty nice update in there. To start with, a 2.7 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor is now the low-end, in the 21.5 inch cheap model, and up to 3.4 GHz in the high-end 21.5 inch and 27 inch models, meaning there’s plenty of speed even in a relatively inexpensive all-in-one Apple computer.
OK, Fine, Graphics
Apple also wants to talk about graphics a lot with this one. Iris Pro is integrated, and you have the option to step it up to the NVidia GeForce GTX 780M, as usual. Mostly this is for users deploying it for the high, high end stuff like video editing and image editing, although Apple hasn’t quite the grip on that market that it used to enjoy as it’s been neglecting Final Cut Pro and other software.
Storage And Memory
Finally, it’s got a pretty long memory for a such a thin device. Apple claims to support some faster flash memory, and you can get it preloaded with up to 32GB RAM and up to three TB for a hard drive. Of course, most of us will only need the single terabyte that comes standard, but it’s nice to have the options.
Speaking of which, if you want one of these upgraded Macs, you can just go get them now; they’re available on the Apple Store starting today at the traditional $1300 and up price points.
Also why not check out:
- 10 of the Best Mac Apps
- 10 Things that Make Apple’s New Mac Pro Unlike Any Other Computer
- Adorable Mini Mac Brings You Back To The ’80s
- Apple announces new iMac
- Apple releases Power Mac G5 Quad and updates to lineup
- Apple Retina iMac Announced, Includes a 5K Display and a Hybrid Hard Drive for $2,500
- Apple Site Now Refreshed With New iMacs
- Apple’s 12-Core Mac Pro Now Shipping
- Colorware Now Painting The Mac Mini
- Discount Mac By Christmas: Free Next Day Delivery at B&H
- First Look at Apple’s New iMac G5
- Gadget Concept: Mac vs. PC Chess Set
- Gadget Leak: New 17 Inch iMac for $899?
- Gadget Rumor: New Mac Mini, iMac Launching Tuesday?
- How Much Does It Cost To Build Your Own Mac Pro?
- How to Prevent a Digital Death By Setting Up Automatic Backups On Your Mac
- How to Speed Up Your Mac: 5 Insanely Simple Tricks to Give Your Sluggish Computer a Speed Boost
- iMac Refresh Arriving Tomorrow, May 3rd
- iMac Refresh Rumor Surfaces, To Include Sandy Bridge And Thunderbolt
- iMacs Refresh Now Official, Internal Updates Only, Includes Quad-core Processor & Thunderbolt
- LOST’s Swan Station Vintage Apple II Up For Auction
- Mac Mini In a 1980s Mac
- Mac Mini Killer
- Mac Mini Laptop
- Mac Pro Gets Upgraded To 12 Cores
- Mac Pro Refresh, Cinema Display & Magic Trackpad To Debut Tomorrow?
- New 2012 Apple iMacs Measure Just 5mm Thin, Quad-core and More
- Preview Of Apple’s New OS: Snow Leopard (video)
- Rare Apple iMac Price Cut in Best Buy’s Green Monday Sale (Update!)