The news has leaked; next week, Apple is going to make the jump into home automation that everybody who wasn’t insisting they were going to make a magic television or a smart watch or something was predicting they were going to. It’s about time they got into the best smart home devices. It turns out studying a company’s behavior instead of hoping and dreaming is an effective analysis tool. But what is it, and how will it work? Here’s what we know.
1. It’s Tied To Your iDevice
Not the biggest surprise ever, but it turns out that Apple’s home automation systems are tied to the iPhone and iPad. The common example given is that the lights turn on when you walk through the door with a verified iPhone. Basically, it’ll all be keyed to your iDevice, and will likely also be tied and controlled via an official iOS app. Did we mention a new iOS is coming next week? Big coincidence, huh?
2. It Won’t All Be Apple Hardware
In a surprising step away from Apple’s usual behavior, though, it’s not all going to be Apple hardware. Instead, Apple will be working with a suite of companies to make their devices iOS-compliant. How this will work in the long-term is an open question, but it’s an intriguing step away from the company’s usual strategy.
3. In Fact, There’s No Apple Hardware On The Horizon At All…Yet
If you were looking for the iLightbulb, forget about it; there are no rumors Apple will be introducing its own home hardware. That makes a kind of sense, in that it’s hard to break into the home furnishings market, but it also means that Apple will have to fight hardware manufacturers who may have their own ideas about how you use their stuff. It’s hard to see Apple compromising… well, at all.
That said, Apple does own companies like PrimeSense, which made the Kinect. So this won’t be the case forever.
4. That Approach Makes It Modular
Of interest is that this means you can hack your home as much or as little as you want. If you just want to swap out the lightbulbs for something a little more futuristic, you can do that. But if you want to go whole-hog, with locks, climate control, blinds, you name it, that’s available to you as well.
5. Expect Voice And Gesture Features
Nobody likes Siri. That’s kind of a given, because, well, everybody uses Siri for about a week and then defaults to using their finger like a normal person. But Apple has poured a lot of money into Siri, gesture controls, and other “frictionless” controls, so expect those features to be prominent in any software it reveals.
6. It’ll Be Coming Fast
Considering that this is all software, most likely tied to the new version of iOS, and built on existing hardware you can buy, this isn’t going to be some sort of abstract demonstration. When this debuts at the Worldwide Developer Conference next week, expect it to have a concrete release date, or even be available in some form. We’ll find out June 2nd.
Also why not check out:
- Best Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detector
- Cyber-rain Smart Sprinkler System
- Ecobee CEO on the Future of the Connected Home
- Ecobee Smart Thermostat Takes The Aggravation Out Of Smart Homes
- Flic Smart Buttons Control Your Home Devices With One Push
- FlipFlic Wants to Automate Your Window Blinds
- HELLO 2 Fully Encrypted All-In-One TV Companion
- Nest Labs’ Protect Smoke Detector Is More Than A Traditional Smoke Detector
- Onzo Smart Energy Kit Helps You Track Your Home’s Electricity Usage
- Orbit B-hyve Smart Hose Faucet Timer Review
- Oregon Scientific Comes Green With The RMR500 Eco Clima Control
- Sevenhugs Smart Remote: Point To Operate Any Smart Product
- SilverPAC’s SilverSTAT 7 Thermostat Is A 7-inch Touchscreen Home Monitoring System
- Skydrop Sprinkler System Saves You Water And Money (video)
- SmartThings Home Automation Brews the Coffee, Turns on the AC, Makes Everything Cool (video)
- Switchmate: Turn Your Ordinary Light Switch Into A Smart Light Switch
- The bRight Switch Will Make Your Home Easier To Control
- The iPort Transforms Your iPad & iPod Touch Into A Home Controller
- The ivee Sleek Is A Voice-Activated Assistant For Your Home That Control Blinds, Thermostat and More (video)
- Turn Your Window Shades Into Smart Shades (video)
- VAVA Mobile Pet Cam Is A Smart Pet Nanny
- Welcome Is The Camera That Recognizes Your Family