Acer is no stranger when it comes to hybrid tablets, but you probably won’t hear much talk about the original Switch 12, which was, according to electronics reviews, pretty weird. The marketing, with an emphasis on a “5-in-1” computer system, was especially odd, because the Switch 12 was obviously just another slinky hybrid in a crowded field. But now, with the Switch 12 S, the company has updated the device and downgraded the lingo to a “2-in-1” hybrid that feels more competitive.
At a glance, the laptop offers a 12.5-inch display with an option for 4K resolution, a Core M processor, up to 8GB of RAM, and up to 256GB of SSD storage. There is, perhaps strangely, no option for a touchscreen on the model. Connections for the ultrabook include a USB 3.0 Type C port (learn more about these in our laptop computer reviews), two more traditional USB 3.0 ports, and a micro-HDMI out. The Switch series is all about Windows, so of course you get Windows 10 and its new fluidity.
The unique prospect of the Switch, the different modes, also returns with this updated model. You can switch between tablet and laptop modes as a matter of course, but there are also options for a stand mode to lean your tablet on the table, and a sort of upside-down triangle mode. Basically, you can hold it however you prefer.
Acer is also touting the new detachable keyboard, which does look more hefty than most hybrid computers offer. Apparently, it can also transfer data up to 6GBps between the tablet and keyboard for super fast, non-laggy typing speeds and controls.
Unfortunately, all these new specs also add to the price tag. When the Switch 12 S launches in February, it will start at $1,000. This price (high for Acer’s often bargain-worthy MSRPs) puts it in almost direct competition with Windows laptops like the Surface Book directly from Microsoft, and Acer surely doesn’t want those kinds of comparisons. Check out our Acer laptop reviews for information on more ultrabooks and where Acer is heading with its latest generations.
Also why not check out:
- Acer Aspire 3935 and 8935G Laptops Announced, Partial Pricing And Release Info Unveiled
- Acer Aspire Ethos Laptop Specs See Light Of Day
- Acer Aspire One 533 Details Emerge
- Acer Aspire S7 1440p QHD Laptop Drops To $849, 42in LG TV only $319 After Coupon
- Acer Aspire Timeline Laptop Specs And Press Shots
- Acer Dual-Screen Laptop Concept
- Acer Looks To Speed Pass The Competition With The Ferrari 1200 Laptop
- Acer Rolls Out 4 New Aspire Laptops In Time For The Holidays: 8930, 6930, 5735 and 4730
- Acer Snaps up Gateway
- Acer Unveils Aspire Gemstone Blue Laptop
- Acer’s Aspire One 10-inch Variant Gets Official, Becomes The D150
- Acer’s New Laptop Has A LED Touchpad
- Aspire TimelineX 1830T And Others Announced
- Gadget Leak: Acer Aspire One 10-inch Variant Photos
- Gadget Leak: Costco To Sell AT&T Subsidized Acer Apire One Netbook
- Gateway Slims Things With LT2000 Netbook