Having trouble getting a good night’s sleep? Whether your problem is a cranky alarm clock, a hot pillow or too much stress, we’ve tracked down a number of gadgets that will improve the quality of your slumber. You can even simulate sunrise and sunset to wake yourself up more naturally!
1. FitBit One Wireless Fitness & Sleep Band
Lots of gadgets track your fitness activity – but the FitBit One actually tracks the quality of your sleep, too. Simply wear it as you sleep at night and it will measure your sleep cycle, sending data to a dashboard on your phone or computer. You can discover how long you slept, the number of times you woke up, and your sleep quality score. The FitBit One also features a silent wake alarm that gently vibrates to wake you up without a loud noise that will disturb your partner. The FitBit Flex, pictured above, is out May 1st and has all the aforementioned features, but comes in a wristband format.
2. Lark Sleep Coach
Another sleep device with a wristband is the Lark Sleep Coach, which tracks the quality of your Zs with a wrist strap and micromovement sensor while your iPhone charges in its docking base. In the morning, check the Lark app to see how much time it took you to fall asleep, how many times you woke up during the night and your sleep quality score of 1-10. (If you pay for a Pro account, you can find out more information.) The Lark also can wake you up with vibration from the wrist strap, ideal for partners with different wake-up times.
3. aXbo Alarm Clock
How much should you sleep? When is the best time to wake up? Another wristband-based system, the aXbo Alarm Clock figures out the most productive sleep pattern for your body and wakes you up at the optimal point in your sleep phase. Don’t worry if you need to get to work – the aXbo will find the right moment that’s as close as possible to your set alarm time. It’s also available in a couples version.
4. EZ Sleep Travel Pillow
Overnight flights are the worst when you can’t fall asleep! Whether you’re sitting in the middle, by the window, or next to the aisle, you can get some Zs with the EZ Sleep Travel Pillow. This unique pillow slides on your armrest and stands upright so you can rest your head without getting cozy on a stranger’s shoulder. It’s also great for cars – and costs just $19.95.
5. Rise and Shine Serenity Sleep System
You can also get a more natural wake-up call with the Serenity Sleep System by Verilux. This gadget simulates sunrise and sunset so that users can wake calmly in the morning and fall asleep naturally at night. It uses a color-changing light to relax you and “align the body’s circadian rhythms that regulate normal sleeping and waking patterns,” according to the company’s website.
6. Philips Wake-Up Light HF3470
Another sleep gadget that simulates the sun is the Philips Wake-Up Light HF3470. With its unique combination of soft-rising light and choice of two pleasant sounds, the Philips Wake-Up light rouses you gradually and naturally by starting 30 minutes before your set wake-up time. It can be individualized up to 250 lux and also functions as a comforting bedside reading lamp.
7. Gear4 Renew SleepClock
You won’t even need a pesky wristband or headband for the Gear4 Renew SleepClock, which uses a non-contact sensor to measure your breathing rate and movement as you sleep. You can review this data by day, month or year on your iPhone, which can charge in the device’s dock while it’s working all night. In addition, the Renew SleepClock will also wake you up during your lightest mode of slumber.
8. Lumawake iPhone Sleep Clock
The Lumawake Sleep Clock is similar to the Gear4 Renew SleepClock, but much smaller: the base you put on your bedside table is essentially a small iPhone charging dock. What also makes it revolutionary is that it can be synced to other automation products such as SmartThings and Belkin’s Wemo, meaning that you can program your home’s lights and electronics to automatically power down when you fall asleep (or brew coffee when you wake up). Of course, you can also track your sleep habits and try to improve your sleep – but we’re most impressed by the coffee.
9. Sound Oasis Sleep Therapy Pillow
Want to listen to relaxing music without wearing uncomfortable headphones? Invest in the Sound Oasis Sleep Therapy Pillow, which features two high fidelity, ultra-thin stereo speakers positioned deep inside of it. The $50 pillow also includes in-line volume control, a 3.5mm plug that fits into a standard audio jack and the option to remove the speakers so that you can machine-wash or hand-wash it.
10. Chillow Pillow Cooler
Are you constantly flipping your pillow to feel the “cool” side? With the Chillow Pillow Cooler, that cool, refreshing feeling never goes away! This thin, very soft, medical-grade, non-electric thermoregulating device gives you a steady, lasting, and comforting sensation without blowing air or making noise. Just activate it one time, leave it in your pillow and enjoy a cool night’s sleep. It’s available in Original Chillow, Chillow Plus, Chillow Mini and Chillow Duo.
11. Dreamate DM-800 Sleep Aid
A number of gadgets wake you up with vibration – but Dreamate actually helps you fall asleep with a wristband. Simply slide it on 15-30 minutes before you want to fall asleep and it will specifically target three special acupuncture points on your wrist. With electrical pulses, the $60 Dreammate DM-800 stimulates blood circulation, releases melatonin, relieves stress, and helps improve your sleep.
Also why not check out:
- “My Side Your Side” Pillow Cases Are Astute Social Commentary for All Couples
- 10 Out of this World Bedrooms You Can Only Dream Of (list)
- Beddit Sleep Monitor Helps You Get A Better Night’s Rest
- Beddit Sleep Tracker Review
- Bedjet Keeps You Warm In Winter and Cool In Summer
- Blood Pillow Depicts Capped Heads, Lays Down Gang Members For Bed
- EZ Sleep Travel Pillow
- Get Your Best ZZZs With The Napwell Mask
- Have Lucid Dreams With The Aurora Headband
- Hollandia iCon Is A Luxury Bed For Your iPad
- Lark iPhone Sleep Monitor Nudges You Awake, Tracks Your Sleep
- Lark Sleep Coach Review
- LUMI Sleep Mask With LED Lights
- Oma Sense Breathing Monitor
- Post My Pillow: Post-It-Note Meets Pillow
- S+ Sleep Sensor Is a No-Contact Sensor/Alarm Clock Hybrid
- Sense Wants To Help You Get A Better Night’s Rest
- Shark Laundry Hamper is the Perfect Complement to the Chumbuddy Shark Sleeping Bag
- Sheex Performance Sheets Are Made By Athletes For Sex Athletes
- Sleep Anywhere Comfortably With The Camo-O-Bunk Portable Cot (video)
- Sleep Number Mattresses Now Feature SleepIQ Technology, New $1,000 Entry-Level Mattress
- SleepScore Max Helps You Improve Your Sleeping Habits
- Sleepsense Wants To Help You Get Better Rest
- The Great Sleeping Bear Is The Most Awesome Sleeping Bag Ever
- The Infinity Pillow Provides Endless Comfort Possibilities
- The Snore Activated Nudging Pillow Makes You Shift Sleeping Positions
- The Tranquility Pod Provides Much Needed Rest And Relaxation
- This Earthquake Proof Bed Might Save Your Life
- Travel Hoodie Pillow All But Guarantees Sleep on the Go