Skyrim in bed, anyone? Even better, Skyrim in bed while at grandmas!? (If she has 5 Mbps downstream anyways). For PC gamers wanting to stream their games on a hand held wireless device (with an Nvidia GPU), or as a travelling Android gameboy the Nvidia Shield released in July 2013 for $299.99. Later last year the price dropped to $249.99, but today it’s yet a further $51 cheaper.
Nvidia Shield is $199 with free shipping at the nVidia Store.
Most retailers are still listing the old $249.99 price tag. The exception appears to be GameStop for a dollar more ($199.99) and without free shipping.
With the latest and greatest over the air update coming on April 2nd, several new features will be added to the Shield making the new $200 price point mighty tempting:
- Android to 4.4.2 Kitkat
- GameStream now available outside home network (will wake sleeping PC remotely, and connect)
- Streaming possible from notebook with select GeForce GPUs
- Bluetooth keyboard and mouse support
- TegraZone storefront easier to discover
- Stream any apps into the shield remotely (eg Photoshop)