Nvidia is very close to firing its first shot at a full blown retail product. This is something of a milestone for the company, a piece of news that’s getting snuffed out by the potential magnitude of said product. This is, of course, the endeavor formerly known as Project SHIELD, the successful chip maker’s Android-powered mobile device. Now dubbed just SHIELD, an official title brings the device a little closer to reality. But that’s not all. If you’re a believer, then Nvidia is a giving you all a chance to show your faith through pre-orders.
Today Nvidia announced they will begin taking pre-orders for SHIELD, next week on May 20th. The device will be priced at $349 and will be sold at GameStop, Micro Center and Canada Computers. Undoubtedly many others will try to stock the unique Android device. Yet these are outlets named in today’s PR.
SHIELD will launch with full access to Google Play and TegraZone games and applications. Just connect your Google Play account get to downloading. An additional feature and arguably the most sought after one in the bunch is access to your PC’s Steam game library. When the device launches in June this particular feature will be in “beta”. But it will give you wifi access to your Nvida GeForce GTX GPU-powered PC, so you can stream your games from your PC to SHIELD.
Launch Titles developed specifically with SHIELD in mind… Double Fine’s Broken Age and Costume Quest, Steel Wool Games’ Flyhunter: Origins, Dedalord Games’ Skiing Fred, and Niffler’s Chuck’s Challenge.
- Tegra 4 – The world’s fastest mobile processor delivers rich graphics and unbeatable performance thanks to 72 GPU cores, four CPU cores and 2GB of RAM
- Console-grade controller – Precise control thanks to dual analog joysticks, a full-sized D-Pad, left and right analog triggers, full-sized bumpers and A/B/X/Y buttons
- Multi-touch display – 5-inch, 720p retinal multi-touch display for high-fidelity visuals
- Integrated speakers – Custom, bass reflex, tuned port audio system – we think this is SHIELD’s sleeper feature
- Wi-Fi – 802.11n 2X2 MIMO game-speed Wi-Fi for seamless game streaming
- Pure Android – Latest Android Jelly Bean operating system from Google, for access to Android games and apps
- There’s more – We put into SHIELD everything we would want in a premium mobile gaming device: 16 GB memory, GPS, Bluetooth 3.0, a mini-HDMI output, micro-USB 2.0, a microSD storage slot, a 3.5-mm stereo headphone jack. See the full spec sheet, here.