Volkswagen has unveiled an exciting new car concept: the CrossBlue, a mid-size, seven-seater SUV with innovative diesel-electric plug-in hybrid powertrain.
With an estimated fuel economy of 35 mpg combined, 89 mpg in electric mode, the CrossBlue – unveiled at the 2013 Detroit Auto Show – is being developed specifically for the North American market. Here are the car’s impressive specs:
- Plug-in diesel electric hybrid drivetrain
- 2.0-liter turbo diesel four cylinder engine
- TDI Clean Diesel with two electric motors
- DSG dual-clutch automatic transmission
- 305 horsepower
- 516 pound-feet of torque
- Electric all-wheel-drive system
- Six-speed dual-clutch gearbox
- 0-60 mph acceleration in 7.2 seconds
- 9.8 kWh lithium-ion battery pack
- Range of up to 14 miles in all-electric mode
“The CrossBlue concept is exactly the right type of vehicle for the U.S. market,” said Jonathan Browning, President and CEO, Volkswagen Group of America. “It combines a truly versatile interior layout with sophisticated Volkswagen design, to give a unique and supremely stylish offering in this segment. Moreover, the vehicle showcases our innovative German powertrain engineering and the bandwidth of the new MQB architecture.”
Amanda has been writing for several entertainment, tech, shopping and business websites since 2009. A resident of Los Angeles, she also works as a screenwriter, script reader and tutor. She's obsessed with film and TV, and is not afraid to admit that her Samsung Galaxy SIII is her most prized possession.