1) Number Porting
Google Voice now lets you port your cell phone number to Google voice.
– Upside: This means the number everyone knows and uses will now effectively be your number for all your phones.
– Downside: It cancels your contract with your carrier, which may mean a cancellation fee and it costs $20 to port.
2) Voicemail transcription
Google Voice will convert your VOICE mail from audio to text
– Upside: Great if you’re in a loud place or you don’t have the patience to listen to someone’s drawn out voicemail. Great if you hate “ummmms”.
– Downside: It’s not perfect and sometimes it can’t understand what the person is saying, resulting in forks becoming…
3) Rings multiple phones simultaneously
Your Google Voice account has its own phone number that is specific to you. You can use it to ring multiple phones. It’s also handy if you’ve got roommates and a front door buzzer, which means all roommates can answer the pizza delivery call.
– Upside: Never miss a call wherever you are, especially if you have poor cell coverage at home
– Downside: Limited to just 7 phones (includes Google Voice at your Gmail address)
4) Free Text Messages
If you perform reason number 1 then you’ll have free texts on all text messages you send and receive. Google has apps for the iPhone and Android platform to make this streamlined.
– Upside: Save money
– Downside: Doesn’t work with your phone’s native text message app; you must launch Google’s app
5) Make international calls on the cheap
With Google voice you can buy credits similar to that of Skype and make International calls without being charged an expensive rate by your cell phone provider
– Upside: Cheap, saves money and works directly in the Google mobile apps and gmail account
– Downside: Still uses your airtime minutes even if you have a WiFi or 3G connection
Grew up back East, got sick of the cold and headed West. Since I was small I have been pushing buttons - both electronic and human. With an insatiable need for tech I thought "why not start a blog focusing on technology, and use my dislikes and likes to post on gadgets."