Amazon Video On Demand Now Available On All Panasonic VIERA CAST TVs, Includes 500 HD Titles
Panasonic announced the launch of Amazon’s Video On Demand on their Panasonic’s VIERA CAST enabled HDTVs today. Here’s a glance at what they’re offering:
- Shop from their TV for their favorite movies and TV shows, selecting from Amazon Video On Demand’s massive selection of more than 40,000 commercial free titles including over 500 titles in HD.
- Enjoy instant playback, no downloading, no waiting and no subscription fees.
- Enjoy Amazon Video On Demand’s high-quality video through its use of the advanced h.264 codec and an automatic bandwidth detection feature that seamlessly plays back the best quality file at either 300, 600, 900, 1200, and when purchased or rented in HD, at 2500 kbps.
- Access and add to their virtual library of purchases via Amazon Video On Demand’s Your Video Library, and re-watch them anytime on their Panasonic VIERA CAST ® enabled HDTV or online with a PC, MAC or other compatible device.
Full release after the ‘leap’
PANASONIC ANNOUNCES AVAILABILITY OF AMAZON VIDEO ON DEMAND ON VIERA CASTTM-ENABLED HDTVs
VIERA CASTTM Functionality Now Includes Access To Amazon Video On Demand’s Extensive Selection of Movies & TV Shows
Including Over 500 High Definition Titles
SECAUCUS, NJ (April 22, 2009) – Panasonic, a leader in High Definition technology and built-in TV web entertainment announced today that the Amazon Video On Demand service is now available on Panasonic’s VIERA CASTTM enabled HDTVs.
Bringing unique internet enabled services to Panasonic VIERA HDTV owners, Amazon Video on Demand on VIERA CAST enables customers to:
· Shop from their TV for their favorite movies and TV shows, selecting from Amazon Video On Demand’s massive selection of more than 40,000 commercial free titles including over 500 titles in HD.
· Enjoy instant playback, no downloading, no waiting and no subscription fees.
· Enjoy Amazon Video On Demand’s high-quality video through its use of the advanced h.264 codec and an automatic bandwidth detection feature that seamlessly plays back the best quality file at either 300, 600, 900, 1200, and when purchased or rented in HD, at 2500 kbps.
· Access and add to their virtual library of purchases via Amazon Video On Demand’s Your Video Library, and re-watch them anytime on their Panasonic VIERA CAST ® enabled HDTV or online with a PC, MAC or other compatible device.
For 2009, Panasonic’s VIERA CAST feature has been extended to three VIERA Plasma HDTV series. Panasonic and Amazon are also working to bring the Amazon Video On Demand service to Panasonic’s 2009 line of VIERA CAST-enabled Blu-ray Disc players by this summer.
In addition to Amazon Video On Demand in HD, VIERA CAST will continue to provide access to YouTube™, Picasa Web Albums™, Bloomberg News and weather information. Consumers will have automatic access to additional sites as they are added to the service. Owners of Panasonic’s 2008 VIERA PZ850 series HDTV line – the first to offer VIERA CAST – will also be able to enjoy Amazon Video On Demand when they automatically receive a free software update and then register their VIERA CAST Enabled HDTV with Amazon Video On Demand.
VIERA CAST was widely acknowledged last year for its distinctive internet application, allowing the consumer to view targeted sites on a large HDTV, rather than a small computer screen. VIERA CAST is also unique in the industry in that, unlike other internet-enabled HDTVs, it has a built-in Ethernet interface – no external box or PC is required. VIERA CAST is accessed via a single button on the television remote control and there is no fee to use the VIERA CAST functionality.
“In talking to our consumers, Panasonic identified a strong desire to have access to a wide range of video on demand services directly through their television,” said Merwan Mereby, Vice President of New Business Development, Panasonic. “The addition of Amazon Video On Demand’s premium service to our VIERA CAST offerings delivers the ultimate entertainment experience to consumers. VIERA CAST owners now have access to Amazon’s vast collection of movies and TV shows, including HD quality new releases, as well as the extensive, consumer-generated content VIERA CAST already offers via YouTube and Google Picasa. Through VIERA CAST, Panasonic now offers consumers access to the most comprehensive library of entertainment content out there, all from the comfort of their couch.”
“Both Panasonic and Amazon Video On Demand have built a great customer experience that easily allows customers to shop, purchase or rent from our library of over 40,000 movies & TV shows with no subscription fees,” said Bill Carr, Amazon Vice President Music and Video. “Using Panasonic’s line of VIERA CAST HDTVs, customers will also be able to experience Amazon’s compelling HD quality new release movies and TV shows from their living room.”
About Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company
Based in Secaucus, N.J., Panasonic Consumer Electronics Company (PCEC), a market and technology leader in High Definition television, is a Division of Panasonic Corporation of North America, the principal North American subsidiary of Panasonic Corporation (NYSE: PC) and the hub of Panasonic’s U.S. marketing, sales, service and R&D operations. Panasonic is pledged to practice prudent, sustainable use of the earth’s natural resources and protect our environment through the company’s Eco Ideas programs. Information about Panasonic products is available at www.panasonic.com. Additional company information for journalists is available at www.panasonic.com/pressroom.
For more than 20 years, Panasonic has been proud to support the Olympic Movement as an Official Worldwide Olympic Partner in the Audio and Visual Equipment category and, beginning in 2009, in the Digital Imaging category as well. Panasonic has also renewed its partnership with the International Olympic Committee for an additional eight years through the 2016 Summer Games. For more information, visit http://panasonic.net/olympic/.
About Amazon.com-Amazon Digital Services
Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN), a Fortune 500 company based in Seattle, opened on the World Wide Web in July 1995 and today offers Earth’s Biggest Selection. Amazon.com, Inc. seeks to be Earth’s most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, and endeavors to offer its customers the lowest possible prices. Amazon.com and other sellers offer millions of unique new, refurbished and used items in categories such as books, movies, music & games, digital downloads, electronics & computers, home & garden, toys, kids & baby, grocery, apparel, shoes & jewelry, health & beauty, sports & outdoors, and tools, auto & industrial.
Amazon Web Services provides Amazon’s developer customers with access to in-the-cloud infrastructure services based on Amazon’s own back-end technology platform, which developers can use to enable virtually any type of business. Examples of the services offered by Amazon Web Services are Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2), Amazon Simple Storage Service (Amazon S3), Amazon SimpleDB, Amazon Simple Queue Service (Amazon SQS), Amazon Flexible Payments Service (Amazon FPS), and Amazon Mechanical Turk.
Amazon and its affiliates operate websites, including www.amazon.com, www.amazon.co.uk, www.amazon.de, www.amazon.co.jp, www.amazon.fr, www.amazon.ca, and the Joyo Amazon websites at www.joyo.cn and www.amazon.cn.
As used herein, “Amazon.com,” “we,” “our” and similar terms include Amazon.com, Inc., and its subsidiaries, unless the context indicates otherwise.