We picked this one up over at Coolest-Gadgets.com.
Apparently, you can now order your Honda with autopilot. Well not quite, but close. Honda has developed a camera based technology that keeps your car on the road when you aren’t. The new safety system, called Lane Keeping Assist System (LKAS), takes a snap shot of the road and determines what lane you’re in to keep you steady ahead. LKAS is designed to be a safety measure in the event that you fall asleep or aren’t paying attention. Its not an autopilot. As a technological disclaimer, Honda’s LKAS will only provide 80% of the necessary torque to steer you clear, you have to provide the other 20%. If you don’t react with the systems ‘move’ within 6-15 seconds it beeps loudly and then disengages. The system works in conjunction with distant safety cruise control, which measures the distance between you and the other car and adjusts speeds accordingly.
We should see this new technology on the Honda ’06 Accord in the next few weeks.
Grew up back East, got sick of the cold and headed West. Since I was small I have been pushing buttons - both electronic and human. With an insatiable need for tech I thought "why not start a blog focusing on technology, and use my dislikes and likes to post on gadgets."